dismiss

Time and Again (1970)

by Jack Finney

Series: Jack Finney's Time and Again (1)

Since it was first published in 1970, Time and Again has become a truly timeless cult classic with a vast and loyal following. This 25th anniversary edition, filled with its original unique period illustrations, is being published to coincide with its long-awaited sequel, From Time to Time. Time and Again will soon be a major motion picture produced and directed by Robert Redford.… (more)
    Doomsday Book by Connie Willis (infiniteletters)
    Replay by Ken Grimwood (Kichererbse, browner56)
    browner56: Both of these are well-written stories that deal with the concept of time travel in an interesting way.
    11/22/63 by Stephen King (zwelbast)
    Kindred by Octavia E. Butler (bnbookgirl)
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (sanddancer)
    sanddancer: Time travel books involving journeys back in time.
    To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis (Kichererbse)
    Dreamland by Kevin Baker (bnbookgirl)
    The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (sturlington)
    The Door into Summer by Robert A. Heinlein (Kichererbse)
    Time on My Hands by Peter Delacorte (wandering_star)
    wandering_star: Two very similar books about travelling back in time to a vividly-imagined past, and the problems of changing history...
    The Mevrouw Who Saved Manhattan: A Novel of New Amsterdam by Bill Greer (Manthepark)
    Manthepark: Travel back even further in time to when the Dutch settled New York. An imaginative, authentic and funny novel.
    Job: A Comedy of Justice by Robert A. Heinlein (Kichererbse)

Slightly on the 2 side of 3 stars. I skipped around 10-15%: mostly the extended descriptions of various scenes from late 19th century New York. Other than that it was pretty good. The author uses an unadorned storytelling language, as if a friend is recounting some episodes from their life, there are a few clever plot devices, and it's fairly humorous. I have a feeling I would have enjoyed it a lot more fifteen years ago. ( )
  mvayngrib | Mar 22, 2020 |
One of my favorite books of my youth. ( )
  dextermoe | Jan 7, 2020 |
Si, the main character here, is recruited by a government agency to participate in a time travel project. Thus, he travels back to New York City in 1882. He falls in love with someone, also. Much of this novel focuses on that place and era in detail (with illustrations/photos throughout); so those without an interest in old NYC may not find this as engaging as I did. ( )
  ValerieAndBooks | Nov 16, 2019 |
Fantastic ending. Starts out a bit slow and picks up steam throughout. The leap of imagination for time travel is rather reasonable. Very enjoyable read. ( )
  deldevries | Jan 15, 2019 |
This was more of a magical realist story than a sci-fi time travel novel. There wasn't much talk about how time travel worked, just that you could be there if you REALLY TRY and you might fuck things up but not really. The writing was really good, especially at the climax scene. I didn't care much about Si and his life. He felt more like a vehicle to describe New York in the "eighties". I can definitely see where 11.22.63 came from after reading this, though. Not bad!
  waxmoronic | Jan 9, 2019 |
Time and Again sends out a huge valentine to the past. It's nostalgic and there's something deliciously comforting and escapist in its promise of a New York Eden.

Jack Finneyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carr, RichardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moll, CharlesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Niffenegger, AudreyForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Marg, who liked it
In shirt-sleeves, the way I generally worked, I sat sketching a bar of soap taped to an upper corner of my drawing board.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,056,420 books! | Top bar: Always visible