Time and Again by Jack Finney

Time and Again (1970)

by Jack Finney

Series: Jack Finney's Time and Again (1)

Doomsday Book by Connie Willis (infiniteletters)
    Replay by Ken Grimwood (Kichererbse, browner56)
    browner56: Both of these are well-written stories that deal with the concept of time travel in an interesting way.
    11/22/63 by Stephen King (zwelbast)
    Kindred by Octavia E. Butler (bnbookgirl)
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (sanddancer)
    sanddancer: Time travel books involving journeys back in time.
    To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis (Kichererbse)
    Dreamland by Kevin Baker (bnbookgirl)
    The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (sturlington)
    The Door into Summer by Robert A. Heinlein (Kichererbse)
    Time on My Hands by Peter Delacorte (wandering_star)
    wandering_star: Two very similar books about travelling back in time to a vividly-imagined past, and the problems of changing history...
    The Mevrouw Who Saved Manhattan: A Novel of New Amsterdam by Bill Greer (Manthepark)
    Manthepark: Travel back even further in time to when the Dutch settled New York. An imaginative, authentic and funny novel.
    Job: A Comedy of Justice by Robert A. Heinlein (Kichererbse)

Time and Again by Jack Finney was originally published in 1970 and has grown to become a classic novel about time slip or time travel. This book even has a few fan sites that are devoted not only to the book but to the New York City locations that are visited during the course of the book. The story is fairly simple; a man is recruited by a mysterious government organization to investigate the idea of time travel. Of course, once successful, questions of morality arise about what, if anything should be tampered with in order to affect a change in the future.

Dialing in to New York City circa 1882, the main character Si Morley becomes wrapped up in a mystery that involves his present day girlfriend’s family. Eventually, after meeting a woman in the past, Si must make a choice. Despite the charm and imagination of the premise I wasn’t quite convinced with the method of time travel as it seemed entirely too simplistic, but the ethical and moral questions that arose during the course of the book were handled intelligently and in a way that enhanced the story.

By stressing the human angle of the story and using illustrations and photographs of New York in the 1880’s, Time and Again becomes a light, romanticized story that is appealing in its guilelessness but personally I prefer a little more grit in my science fiction so although I enjoyed this story well enough, it isn’t going to find a place on my favorite books list. ( )
1 vote DeltaQueen50 | Apr 15, 2018 |
There's something about this book that makes it possible to believe in time travel, and that alone makes it something far beyond time travel books I've read in the past. Finney manages to build this world and the premise so carefully, and the logic is so wonderfully simple and sensible in its own way, that his utterly real characters make it seem as if we're not reading about some other world, but our own reality where, just perhaps, this might be possible. That's the beauty of this book, combined with his wonderful characters and writing that sucks you in and all but demands that you keep turning pages. Each time I sat down to read a few chapters, I read far more than that, and had to be forced by time or my eyes to finally put the book down.

I freely admit that I'm not much for time travel books, normally, though I love fantasy--this brings together everything I love about suspense, literary fiction, fantasy, and speculative fiction in general, into a tale that feels more real and translated into fiction than it feels like a story.

I'd absolutely recommend, and I'm so glad to have discovered this author. ( )
1 vote whitewavedarling | Apr 7, 2018 |
Thanks to insomnia and a slow shift at work, I read all of Jack Finney's remarkable book Time and Again, which was written in 1970. Both historical fiction and science fiction, the focus of the novel is time travel through a process of intense learning about a period in the past combined with the practice of self-hypnosis.

And it works! Artist Simon Morley is the first to jump to the past successfully, from 1970 New York City to the same city in 1882. Despite his careful preparation for the journey backwards, Simon is overwhelmed, not surprisingly, by the reality of being in New York in 1882. Everything is the same, but different. Trinity Church is the tallest building in the city. The Statue of Liberty does not yet grace the harbour. Food tastes better, houses are colder, fire is lethal as almost everything in the city is made of wood. Fire plays a large and terrifying role in the book.

Like any good story, there is a romance - or two, in this case, one in the present and one in the past. There are schemes of blackmail, murder, sledding in Central Park on a snowy day, and the joys and struggles of a sudden transition to a different era, a different century.

I liked the book and thought that Finney's story had interesting ideas, and certainly it is a good book. May I say that it was, possibly, too masculine for my taste? There was a flavour of a Boys' Own periodical in it that I never could get past, where women are in the script because they have to be, not because they're welcome. Finney is obviously no woman-hater: the women he designs for Morley are capable, intelligent, beautiful, and feisty, but there is a masculinity to them as well. Still, it was a good and creative book, and I enjoyed reading it. ( )
  ahef1963 | Mar 26, 2018 |
I first read this book in the 1980s, upon the recommendation of my grandmother. It's always held a sentimental place in my heart because she recommended it, and it's the first adult time-travel book I recall reading.

As it was released on Kindle recently, I decided to re-read it. Sometimes it's better to go with memory than to try to re-create original feelings. It just wasn't as fantastic as I remembered. It's a good story, but the author gets bogged down in descriptions of the environments external to the characters. And the descriptions just aren't that lyrical. I was disappointed with the character development this time around too.

The only thing that was charming was this: here I am in 2014 reading about a guy time-traveling from 1970 to 1880. It feels like a time travel of my own to read about 1970 this way. And to connect to my own first experience in the 80s. But that's purely a sentimental journey ... ( )
  TheBibliophage | Mar 20, 2018 |
The plot was pretty predictable. Great descriptive of NYC in 1882 though. ( )
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
Time and Again sends out a huge valentine to the past. It's nostalgic and there's something deliciously comforting and escapist in its promise of a New York Eden.

Jack Finneyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carr, RichardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moll, CharlesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Niffenegger, AudreyForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Marg, who liked it
In shirt-sleeves, the way I generally worked, I sat sketching a bar of soap taped to an upper corner of my drawing board.

"Sleep. And when you awake everything you know of the twentieth century will be gone from your mind. Tonight is January 21, 1882. There are no such things as automobiles, no planes, computers, television. 'Nuclear' appears in no dictionary. You have never heard the name Richard Nixon."

Did illustrator Si Morley really step out of his twentieth-century apartment one night -- right into the winter of 1882? The U.S. Government believed it, especially when Si returned with a portfolio of brand-new sketches and tintype photos of a world that no longer existed -- or did it?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:38 -0400)

Simon Morley is selected by a secret government agency to test Einstein's theory of the past co-existing with the present and is transported back to 1880s New York.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,157,798 books! | Top bar: Always visible