Time and Again by Jack Finney

Time and Again (original 1970; edition 1995)

by Jack Finney

Member:Zumbanista
Title:Time and Again
Authors:Jack Finney
Info:
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:American, Fiction, Time Travel, New York City

Time and Again by Jack Finney (1970)

Doomsday Book by Connie Willis (infiniteletters)
    Replay by Ken Grimwood (Kichererbse, browner56)
    browner56: Both of these are well-written stories that deal with the concept of time travel in an interesting way.
    Kindred by Octavia E. Butler (bnbookgirl)
    11/22/63 by Stephen King (zwelbast)
    To Say Nothing of the Dog; or, How We Found the Bishop's Bird Stump at Last by Connie Willis (Kichererbse)
    Dreamland by Kevin Baker (bnbookgirl)
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (sanddancer)
    sanddancer: Time travel books involving journeys back in time.
    The Door into Summer by Robert A. Heinlein (Kichererbse)
    Time on My Hands by Peter Delacorte (wandering_star)
    wandering_star: Two very similar books about travelling back in time to a vividly-imagined past, and the problems of changing history...
    The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (sturlington)
    The Mevrouw Who Saved Manhattan: A Novel of New Amsterdam by Bill Greer (Manthepark)
    Manthepark: Travel back even further in time to when the Dutch settled New York. An imaginative, authentic and funny novel.
    Job: A Comedy of Justice by Robert A. Heinlein (Kichererbse)

This is a wonderful book. It wasn't your average time travel story. It's a well written blend of historical fiction, science fiction and romance. I loved it. ( )
  Rosenstern | Sep 14, 2014 |
This was a pretty good sci-fi time travel tale; reminded me in many ways of Richard Matheson’s Somewhere in Time (a watered down film of the same name with Christopher Reeve as well as a better book!). As in that book, Finney’s character Si Morley, formerly of the Army and now in a dead-end job, gets drafted to try to become one of the first to go back in time.

He discovers he’s been drafted into a secret US Government project and everything is fine when he, through hypnosis, finds himself in 1882 New York. What’s fun about the book is the extreme descriptions of that era, complete with photos and drawings that Si Morley draws or shoots and tells the reader about it.

The government though has some pretty crazy ideas of how to use this power. Now that Si has made friends with that time period and even a woman, Julia, becoming his amore, he is not too keen on following the government plan.

Besides the character development, Finney really gets into extreme description, to the point of boredom at times. Several pages to describe the government facility was a bit much. And, I would have liked to have read of the experiences of his fellow time-travelers, though they were not that successful.

Overall, quite entertaining. Easy enough read. Give it a try. Finney also wrote Invasion of the Body Snatchers!

jmourgos | Sep 12, 2014 |
This was such a fun book! I love time travel, especially when it's well done. The details in this were great - things like language, and especially food. It was great how he compared the way food tasted in the 1880s to the way it does - or did in the 1970s, anyway. I seem to be on a roll here, with this and Ecotopia, I am going through slightly outdated science-fictiony books, which is very interesting reading. ( )
  GraceZ | Sep 6, 2014 |
This book was such a trip - no pun intended. I really enjoyed it on two levels; I found the story interesting. Time travel books are among my favorites even though this is a bit different from the usual. The second level of enjoyment came from reading a book written in 1970. It was like another layer of time travel albeit one not intended by the author. This is a book that takes place in a world of locks and keys, dial up telephones and typewriters. I suspect for a generation who did not grow up in that world it must seem very alien. For me it was like a touch of nostalgia and I suspect it added to my enjoyment.

Si Morely is an artist who is working for an ad agency (where he draws with a pencil!). He's approached by a man to join a government program but he can't know what it is until he knows if he qualifies. It's all very mysterious but Si is bored at his job and he really has no connections so he figures, what the heck. Si passes the test and he learns that the program is about time travel.

Si has a girlfriend who's adopted father had a sad history part of which included a letter mailed in New York in 1882 so using the "method" Si wants to go back to that period to watch the letter being mailed. Of course he is not allowed to change history. As Si learns what he needs to know things are not all as up and up as they seem and he needs to figure out whom he can trust and he has to figure out where he belongs.

I truly enjoyed this story. It held my interest 'til the end. It was so very different from books written today and I don't even know if I can tell you why. It really was like stepping back into another world. I'm keeping it to read again because I suspect I'll find something on a second read through that I missed on the first. The characters are well developed and diverse and the plot is full of fun little twists and turns. The addition of the old photos and drawings only adds to the fun of the book. ( )
1 vote BrokenTeepee | Aug 25, 2014 |
Good idea, poorly executed. ( )
  CSRodgers | Aug 11, 2014 |
Time and Again sends out a huge valentine to the past. It's nostalgic and there's something deliciously comforting and escapist in its promise of a New York Eden.

Jack Finneyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carr, RichardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moll, C.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Marg, who liked it
In shirt-sleeves, the I generally worked, I sat sketching a bar of soap taped to an upper corner of my drawing board.

From Amazon.com: Si Morley is bored with his job as a commercial illustrator and his social life doesn't seem to be going anywhere. So, when he is approached by an affable ex-football star and told that he is just what the government is looking for to take part in a top-secret program, he doesn't hesitate for too long. And so one day Si steps out of his twentieth-century New York apartment and finds himself back in January 1882. There are no cars, no planes, no computers, no television and the word "nuclear" doesn't appear in the dictionary. For Si, it's very like Eden, somewhere he could find happiness. But has he really travelled back in time? The portfolio of tintype photographs and sketches that he brings back to the present day convince the government. But then all Si wants is to return. . .

"Sleep. And when you awake everything you know of the twentieth century will be gone from your mind. Tonight is January 21, 1882. There are no such things as automobiles, no planes, computers, television. 'Nuclear' appears in no dictionary. You have never heard the name Richard Nixon."

Did illustrator Si Morley really step out of his twentieth-century apartment one night -- right into the winter of 1882? The U.S. Government believed it, especially when Si returned with a portfolio of brand-new sketches and tintype photos of a world that no longer existed -- or did it?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:02 -0400)

Simon Morley is selected by a secret government agency to test Einstein's theory of the past co-existing with the present and is transported back to 1880s New York.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,404,519 books! | Top bar: Always visible