Time and Again by Jack Finney

Time and Again (original 1970; edition 1995)

by Jack Finney

Info:Scribner Paperback Fiction (1995), Paperback, 399 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Fiction - Literary

Time and again by Jack Finney (1970)

Doomsday Book by Connie Willis (infiniteletters)
    Replay by Ken Grimwood (Kichererbse, browner56)
    browner56: Both of these are well-written stories that deal with the concept of time travel in an interesting way.
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (sanddancer)
    sanddancer: Time travel books involving journeys back in time.
    11/22/63 by Stephen King (zwelbast)
    Kindred by Octavia E. Butler (bnbookgirl)
    To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis (Kichererbse)
    Dreamland by Kevin Baker (bnbookgirl)
    The Door into Summer by Robert A. Heinlein (Kichererbse)
    The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (sturlington)
    Time on My Hands by Peter Delacorte (wandering_star)
    wandering_star: Two very similar books about travelling back in time to a vividly-imagined past, and the problems of changing history...
    The Mevrouw Who Saved Manhattan: A Novel of New Amsterdam by Bill Greer (Manthepark)
    Manthepark: Travel back even further in time to when the Dutch settled New York. An imaginative, authentic and funny novel.
    Job: A Comedy of Justice by Robert A. Heinlein (Kichererbse)

I read this book years ago and remembered liking it. Then when I recently read that the author was an inspiration to Stephen King when he wrote the time travel novel about the Kennedy assassination, I decided to re-read it. I'm glad I did! There are no time machines or accidentally discovered portals to a past time in this novel. It is more of a psychological time travel. People liking historical fiction as well as time travel would like this one. I particularly liked the very clever ending of the book. In fact, it was one of the few things that I clearly remembered from reading this book more than 15 years ago. The author published a sequel in 1995, 25 years after the original book was published. That one is on my list to re-read also.

TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
After New York advertising artist Si Morley accepts an offer to join a secret government time travel experiment, he winds up in New York in January of 1882. Why then? Si's girlfriend, Kate, had a family mystery to solve centered on a letter mailed then. Si goes from observer to participant in subsequent events, facing great danger and finding unexpected love. The new relationships he forms in the past will require him to make a difficult choice. Which ties are stronger – the past or the present?

I loved this book until the last few pages. The author had a point to make, and he did it explicitly to make sure readers don't miss it. For me, a lot of the fun in reading time travel books is in wondering how things will resolve. The removal of uncertainty at the end of the book left me feeling disappointed. ( )
  cbl_tn | Jun 27, 2015 |
A timeless classic that is perhaps more relevant now than when it was written. ( )
  mysterymax | Jun 13, 2015 |
There's something magical in the writing style of this book. Something that makes there seem (to me) to be less plot, less drama - but makes the subtlety, the emphasis on place & time, to be more than enough to make up for the lack of excitement. I don't know exactly how I feel about this book - it's not SF but I can't seem to view it clearly through a lens of literature either - all I really have is a fuzzy sense of goodwill towards it. And this is the second time I've read it. Maybe I'll get more as I discuss it with fellow fans of Time Travel in our Group Read, this June 2014. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
I thought this book was ok. I love the manner of time travel. I wish I could hypnotize myself back. I don't know what it was, but for whatever reason I was just never able to truly get into the book. It was a nice read, but I don't know if I'll ever read the sequels. ( )
  sscarllet | Nov 20, 2014 |
Time and Again sends out a huge valentine to the past. It's nostalgic and there's something deliciously comforting and escapist in its promise of a New York Eden.

Jack Finneyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carr, RichardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moll, C.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Marg, who liked it
In shirt-sleeves, the way I generally worked, I sat sketching a bar of soap taped to an upper corner of my drawing board.

From Amazon.com: Si Morley is bored with his job as a commercial illustrator and his social life doesn't seem to be going anywhere. So, when he is approached by an affable ex-football star and told that he is just what the government is looking for to take part in a top-secret program, he doesn't hesitate for too long. And so one day Si steps out of his twentieth-century New York apartment and finds himself back in January 1882. There are no cars, no planes, no computers, no television and the word "nuclear" doesn't appear in the dictionary. For Si, it's very like Eden, somewhere he could find happiness. But has he really travelled back in time? The portfolio of tintype photographs and sketches that he brings back to the present day convince the government. But then all Si wants is to return. . .

"Sleep. And when you awake everything you know of the twentieth century will be gone from your mind. Tonight is January 21, 1882. There are no such things as automobiles, no planes, computers, television. 'Nuclear' appears in no dictionary. You have never heard the name Richard Nixon."

Did illustrator Si Morley really step out of his twentieth-century apartment one night -- right into the winter of 1882? The U.S. Government believed it, especially when Si returned with a portfolio of brand-new sketches and tintype photos of a world that no longer existed -- or did it?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:38 -0400)

Simon Morley is selected by a secret government agency to test Einstein's theory of the past co-existing with the present and is transported back to 1880s New York.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,091,619 books! | Top bar: Always visible