Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian…

Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist (1986)

by John Piper

4,207281,186 (4.38)13
    When I Don't Desire God by John Piper (mhelfrich)
    mhelfrich: It's the application of Desiring God or how to go about finding the Joy in God.
    The Weight of Glory by C. S. Lewis (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: "The Weight of Glory" is Lewis's sermon that sparked the whole idea of Christian hedonism in John Piper. Piper quotes it extensively in Desiring God, but it's good to read Lewis's thoughts in their full context.

English (27)  Portuguese (1)  All (28)
This was a good book. I really appreciated the premise. I can agree with Piper that so often Christianity is represented as a matter of repressing our desires and pleasures, and to read a counter to that is refreshing. But it's also very challenging, because the alternative can be a lot more daunting than simple repression, but at the same time, far more fulfilling. While I don't agree with every detail of Piper's theology, his take on this is very important and necessary. ( )
  LauraTwitchell | Dec 12, 2016 |
I'm going to make myself unpopular and say that I didn't like this book. I actually gave up on it after the first few chapters. I read it because Christian's all around me on Logos Hope (a missionary ship) were raving about it and saying how great it was. After a few chapters I came across a description of a "Christian Hedonist." I had never heard this term used before. The author suggests we should all be aiming for this higher state and that unless we reach it we are not fulfilling God's true potential for us. How do we reach it? By aiming to be 100% satisfied personally in our Christian walk. I found this concept difficult...is OUR OWN personal satisfaction something we should really have as our ultimate goal...seems a bit selfish. What about when we don't feel satisfied ....does that mean we are not fulfilling God's potential for us? Does it mean we aren't saved? Should we base anything on how we feel on a daily basis? It is surely dangerous to rely on certain feelings in connection with our salvation.

What is the evidence that we love/desire God "If you love me, you will OBEY my commands" The Bible doesn't give other requirements and I cannot find Christian Hedonism to be a healthy pursuit. I stopped reading the book as it started to make me feel that if I didn't have certain experiences I wasn't saved. I knew this was a wrong thought pattern so I abandoned the book before it did any more damage.

I would warn Christian readers to be careful with this book... ( )
  sparkleandchico | Aug 31, 2016 |
In this book Piper talks about being a Christian Hedonist (finding joy in god) not being much of any kind of hedonist or not being overly joyful period this was a new concept to me. Piper goes to great length to discuss how we should find our joy in god and doing things for god. But one quote stands out from the book "Laws can be obeyed under constraint with no change of heart". ( )
  JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
  JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
Regardless of how one views Piper's theology, this book is an excellent tool for Christian living: to help the Christian lead a life fulfilled by the true joy of God. Dealing with various aspects of life including prayer, mission, and giving, Piper makes a strong biblical case for, as the Shorter Westminster Confession states, the chief end of Man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever. ( )
  xuebi | May 30, 2014 |
To William Solomon Hottle Piper, my father, in whom I have seen the holiness and happiness of God.
This is a serious book about being happy in God.

Scripture reveals that the great business of life is to glorify God by enjoying Him forever. In this paradigm-shattering classic, newly revised and expanded, John Piper reveals that the debate between duty and delight doesn't truly exist: Delight is our duty. Readers will embark on a dramatically different and joyful experience of their faith

The pursuit of pleasure is not optional. It is essential.

Scripture reveals that the great business of life is to glorify God by enjoying Him forever. In this paradigm-shattering work, John Piper reveals that the debate between duty and delight doesn’t truly exist: Delight is our duty. Join him as he unveils stunning, life-impacting truths you saw in the Bible but never dared to believe.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:16 -0400)

Piper reveals that the debate between duty and delight doesn't truly exist: delight is our duty. Join him as he unveils stunning, life-impacting truths that you saw in the Bible but never dared to believe.

95 wanted1 free

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,757,988 books! | Top bar: Always visible