Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian…

Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist (1986)

by John Piper

When I Don't Desire God by John Piper (mhelfrich)
    mhelfrich: It's the application of Desiring God or how to go about finding the Joy in God.
    The Weight of Glory by C. S. Lewis (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: "The Weight of Glory" is Lewis's sermon that sparked the whole idea of Christian hedonism in John Piper. Piper quotes it extensively in Desiring God, but it's good to read Lewis's thoughts in their full context.

English (25)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (26)
In this book Piper talks about being a Christian Hedonist (finding joy in god) not being much of any kind of hedonist or not being overly joyful period this was a new concept to me. Piper goes to great length to discuss how we should find our joy in god and doing things for god. But one quote stands out from the book "Laws can be obeyed under constraint with no change of heart". ( )
  JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
  JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
Regardless of how one views Piper's theology, this book is an excellent tool for Christian living: to help the Christian lead a life fulfilled by the true joy of God. Dealing with various aspects of life including prayer, mission, and giving, Piper makes a strong biblical case for, as the Shorter Westminster Confession states, the chief end of Man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever. ( )
  xuebi | May 30, 2014 |
The opening question of the Westminster Shorter Catechism asks: "What is the chief end of man?" The answer is: "Man's chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy Him forever." This question-and-answer frames the central thesis that John Piper makes in Desiring God, which is that an essential facet of Christian living is to delight in God, exuberantly so, throughout our walk with him. Piper maintains that one of the core messages of the Bible is that God's people should know His glory and should magnify it as they live for Him in the world. God's glory and the happiness of His people go hand-in-hand with each other.

I have read several of Piper's other books and was familiar with his oft-repeated saying, "God is most glorified in me when I am most satisfied in Him." Desiring God is a meditation on God-saturated and God-glorifying living from one who calls himself a Christian Hedonist. He writes "If God were not infinitely devoted to the preservation , display, and enjoyment of His own glory, we could have no hope of finding happiness in Him." (31) I believe that what Piper lays out in this book forms the foundation for everything else that he has done in ministry. In this book he writes most extensively about that which is most dear to him, the glory of God, as seen in God and experienced in those who know Christ Jesus as their Lord and Savior.

Piper addresses the delight of God's presence in chapters on conversion, worship, scripture, love, prayer, money, marriage, missions and suffering. There is an introduction, epilogue and several very helpful appendices. His writing is saturated with relevant scripture passages and heavily influenced by his study of the work of Jonathan Edwards, C.S. Lewis and others. This is an excellent and engaging discussion of experiencing God's glory in all of life, and worshipping God as the only proper response. I highly commend it. ( )
  BradKautz | Jan 14, 2014 |
Before I get into the negatives, I did agree with the main thesis of this work. My reasons for disliking it are four-fold. First, it was overtly Calvinistic in parts (Piper comes out of that tradition) so it is to be expected. Second, he quotes at one point Ayn Rand (she gets on my nerves) and he appears to be addicted to Johnathan Edwards (not a bad thing, but I don't particularly care about him one way or the other). Third, he oftentimes mentions the heaven/hell dichotomy, with the whole fire and brimstone bit. I in contrast hold to something closer to the ideas put forth in Rob Bell's Love Wins. Fourth and most importantly, he typically relies on quotes, stories and a scattering of Scripture verses to make his point. In contrast, I would much prefer it if he utilized large passages from the Bible to draw out his points. Taking selected quotes or scriptures can easily lead to prooftexting. ( )
  aevaughn | Dec 5, 2013 |
To William Solomon Hottle Piper, my father, in whom I have seen the holiness and happiness of God.
This is a serious book about being happy in God.

Scripture reveals that the great business of life is to glorify God by enjoying Him forever. In this paradigm-shattering classic, newly revised and expanded, John Piper reveals that the debate between duty and delight doesn't truly exist: Delight is our duty. Readers will embark on a dramatically different and joyful experience of their faith

The pursuit of pleasure is not optional. It is essential.

Scripture reveals that the great business of life is to glorify God by enjoying Him forever. In this paradigm-shattering work, John Piper reveals that the debate between duty and delight doesn’t truly exist: Delight is our duty. Join him as he unveils stunning, life-impacting truths you saw in the Bible but never dared to believe.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:16 -0400)

Piper reveals that the debate between duty and delight doesn't truly exist: delight is our duty. Join him as he unveils stunning, life-impacting truths that you saw in the Bible but never dared to believe.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,152,667 books! | Top bar: Always visible