Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian…

Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist (1986)

by John Piper

When I Don't Desire God: How to Fight For Joy by John Piper (mhelfrich)
    mhelfrich: It's the application of Desiring God or how to go about finding the Joy in God.
    The Weight of Glory by C. S. Lewis (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: "The Weight of Glory" is Lewis's sermon that sparked the whole idea of Christian hedonism in John Piper. Piper quotes it extensively in Desiring God, but it's good to read Lewis's thoughts in their full context.

English (23)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (24)
Regardless of how one views Piper's theology, this book is an excellent tool for Christian living: to help the Christian lead a life fulfilled by the true joy of God. Dealing with various aspects of life including prayer, mission, and giving, Piper makes a strong biblical case for, as the Shorter Westminster Confession states, the chief end of Man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever. ( )
  xuebi | May 30, 2014 |
The opening question of the Westminster Shorter Catechism asks: "What is the chief end of man?" The answer is: "Man's chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy Him forever." This question-and-answer frames the central thesis that John Piper makes in Desiring God, which is that an essential facet of Christian living is to delight in God, exuberantly so, throughout our walk with him. Piper maintains that one of the core messages of the Bible is that God's people should know His glory and should magnify it as they live for Him in the world. God's glory and the happiness of His people go hand-in-hand with each other.

I have read several of Piper's other books and was familiar with his oft-repeated saying, "God is most glorified in me when I am most satisfied in Him." Desiring God is a meditation on God-saturated and God-glorifying living from one who calls himself a Christian Hedonist. He writes "If God were not infinitely devoted to the preservation , display, and enjoyment of His own glory, we could have no hope of finding happiness in Him." (31) I believe that what Piper lays out in this book forms the foundation for everything else that he has done in ministry. In this book he writes most extensively about that which is most dear to him, the glory of God, as seen in God and experienced in those who know Christ Jesus as their Lord and Savior.

Piper addresses the delight of God's presence in chapters on conversion, worship, scripture, love, prayer, money, marriage, missions and suffering. There is an introduction, epilogue and several very helpful appendices. His writing is saturated with relevant scripture passages and heavily influenced by his study of the work of Jonathan Edwards, C.S. Lewis and others. This is an excellent and engaging discussion of experiencing God's glory in all of life, and worshipping God as the only proper response. I highly commend it. ( )
  BradKautz | Jan 14, 2014 |
Before I get into the negatives, I did agree with the main thesis of this work. My reasons for disliking it are four-fold. First, it was overtly Calvinistic in parts (Piper comes out of that tradition) so it is to be expected. Second, he quotes at one point Ayn Rand (she gets on my nerves) and he appears to be addicted to Johnathan Edwards (not a bad thing, but I don't particularly care about him one way or the other). Third, he oftentimes mentions the heaven/hell dichotomy, with the whole fire and brimstone bit. I in contrast hold to something closer to the ideas put forth in Rob Bell's Love Wins. Fourth and most importantly, he typically relies on quotes, stories and a scattering of Scripture verses to make his point. In contrast, I would much prefer it if he utilized large passages from the Bible to draw out his points. Taking selected quotes or scriptures can easily lead to prooftexting. ( )
  aevaughn | Dec 5, 2013 |
For over twenty-seven years now pastor John Piper has been provoking Christians with the simple but paradigm-shifting truth which is not only the theme of this book but is found running through all his ministry the truth that God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in him. Piper builds and supports his message upon numerous texts of scripture from the Bible echoing the voices the apostle Paul and Christ Jesus. Along with them one will find the supporting words of influential Christ followers throughout the timeline of history like Blaise Pascal, Jonathan Edwards and C.S. Lewis.
Noted author John Piper uses the term Christian hedonism frequently in this book a term which goes back to a section of the Westminster Catechism. The Westminster Shorter Catechism summarizes the "chief end of man" as "to glorify God and enjoy Him forever." Piper has suggested that this would be more correct as "to glorify God by enjoying Him forever." John Piper points to figures such as Blaise Pascal and Jonathan Edwards as exemplars of Christian hedonism from the past, before the term was current.
The question as to what is Christian Hedonism is Piper’s shortest summary is God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in him. As people we all make into a God that which we take the most pleasure in. Christian Hedonist though wants to make God their God by seeking after the greatest pleasure which is pleasure in Him.
“The overriding concern of this book is that in all of life God be glorified the way He Himself has appointed. To that end this book aims to persuade you that the chief end of man if to glorify God by enjoying Him forever” (p. 18).
Piper provides a compelling and liberating case where we are finally free to enjoy Christ not only as our Lord and Savior, but also as our all surpassing, supremely soul-satisfying Treasure. He begins his case with the premise that happiness and pleasure are the motivations for everyone. This is illustrated through Pascal in the introduction and that God is the ultimate pleasure available to us. He further provides answers to the questions like, what is the connection between pleasure/happiness and the Christian faith and What should my motivation be for following God? We follow God out of delight not out of mere fear or duty. This delight is found in the deepest pleasure available in God alone. Also that this pursuit of pleasure in God is not only permissible but it is essential.
This is a weighty book with priceless truth in which Piper who admittedly writes with a Calvinistic bent provides a number of important insights into living life with a focus on chasing after the heart of God with the hedonist’s abandon. I can’t overstate the tremendous impact this book has had on the structuring my theological view of God and how it weaves together my happiness and pleasure in God. So this book is a must read in my opinion full of Piper’s gift of meshing logic, theological insight and passion.
I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255 : "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising." ( )
  moses917 | Nov 1, 2013 |
Desiring God : Meditations of a Christian Hedonist by John Piper (?)
  journeyguy | Apr 2, 2013 |
To William Solomon Hottle Piper, my father, in whom I have seen the holiness and happiness of God.
This is a serious book about being happy in God.

Scripture reveals that the great business of life is to glorify God by enjoying Him forever. In this paradigm-shattering classic, newly revised and expanded, John Piper reveals that the debate between duty and delight doesn't truly exist: Delight is our duty. Readers will embark on a dramatically different and joyful experience of their faith

The pursuit of pleasure is not optional. It is essential.

Scripture reveals that the great business of life is to glorify God by enjoying Him forever. In this paradigm-shattering work, John Piper reveals that the debate between duty and delight doesn’t truly exist: Delight is our duty. Join him as he unveils stunning, life-impacting truths you saw in the Bible but never dared to believe.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:40 -0400)

Piper reveals that the debate between duty and delight doesn't truly exist: delight is our duty. Join him as he unveils stunning, life-impacting truths that you saw in the Bible but never dared to believe.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,634,967 books! | Top bar: Always visible