Quiver by Peter Leonard

Quiver

by Peter Leonard

This was a great afternoon read for holidays beside the pool in Bali.

`Quiver' is appropriately named for the bow hunting prevalent throughout the novel. Accidentally, Luke has killed his father in a bow-hunting accident and the novel starts seven months after the event. His mother Kate, whilst not holding him responsible is concerned for him. At the same time an ex-con from Kate's past, Jack, comes into her life. Luke takes off for their lodge in Northern Michigan, finding everything difficult and Jack and Kate follow him.

Meanwhile, there are other criminals interested in all the money Kate has been left and they pursue the threesome. What unfolds is a fast paced thriller with some surprising and also predictable events. Whilst clearly well written, `Quiver' takes a while to settle into. There are great characters and some fantastic narrative but there are times where it seemed that Peter Leonard was already thinking ahead without clarifying current events and I became a little lost in two different place. The second half is quick and rapid, thoroughly engaging the reader and more than makes up for a slightly slower beginning. ( )
1 vote Jawin | Nov 2, 2013 |
Peter Leonard's first novel and I enjoyed it as a whole. Very slow moving to start off but I did get a sense of loss and how do I pick up the pieces and move on after this tragedy happens to the family. Once things get going get ready for a bunch of supporting characters and no matter what you think about them they all collide in a somewhat suprising and satisfing ending. I liked it and looking forward to what he comes up with next. ( )
  groundedforlife | Apr 7, 2011 |
Not my thing, ( )
  Tambo | Apr 24, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Blah. Okay, maybe not utter blah, but that’s the thought that comes to mind every time LibraryThing sends me a ‘you haven’t reviewed this book’ reminder. God bless the Early Reviewer scheme, it’s made my mailbox a happy, happy place, but sometimes… Blah, I say.

So… well, the pacing was well-handled, and for a thriller, that’s one of the first things that will fall down if anything does. There were enjoyable elements to the book (and a few pages where I thought Peter Leonard had some serious writing chops), such as the cohesively written family unit, but I found it slow to get into; not because of the pace, but because too much was predictable and – the most fatal of flaws to a veteran crime/thriller fiction reader – stereotypical, and in the end I simply put this down without finishing it, just over the halfway point... (I was trying not to be an impatient, unfair reader) and cannot face picking it up again.

I think the book’s main flaw for me is that it reads like a second draft of something that needed a shot of inspiration and a third polishing. I might pick up something else by Peter Leonard, but not for a while. And not this one. ( )
  eleanor_eader | Dec 3, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A one sitter for me, very thrilling with not much to think about. A very clever idea but would have liked a bit more about some of the characters. Great start will definitely look for more by Mr Leonard. ( )
  louiseog | Sep 26, 2009 |

Quiver is a spectacular debut….With a large cast of characters—each presented as meticulously as an Andrew Wyeth portrait—and numerous points of view, all funneling inevitably to a stunning conclusion, you will be holding your breath until the final page. Peter’s dad should be proud.”
--Otto Penzler

“A strong debut that combines a tight plot (about a deadly double-cross in the woods of Michigan) with memorable characters and dialogue—come to think of it, not unlike what Leonard’s father, Elmore Leonard, creates.”
--Seattle Times

“An outstanding debut….Leonard, the son of grandmaster mystery writer Elmore Leonard, deftly utilizes frequent flashback scenes in a tense tale that’s easily one of the best crime novels of the year.”
--East Lansing Journal

“The best parts of the novel concern the crooks, who, if not as gloriously quirky as those in Elmore Leonard’s novels, are sometimes funny and sometimes scary.”
--Washington Post

"Peter Leonard's energetic style makes one forget the name Elmore and concentrate on the Leonard....Good writing may be in his genes, but the style's all his own."
--Oline Cogdill, The South Florida Sun-Sentinel

One of the most riveting and powerful new voices in crime fiction, Peter Leonard delivers a razor-sharp debut thriller.

Kate McCall’s husband has been killed by her son, Luke, in a tragic bow-hunting accident. While Kate struggles with her son’s surly guilt, her first love, Jack, an ex-con, reappears, along with a crew of his former “colleagues.” While Jack must convince his partners in crime that he really did lose the heist money, his appearance sets into motion a series of events culminating in a life-and-death confrontation with a gang of killers.

Leonard displays remarkable maturity for a first-time novelist in both the plotting of the story and the language of his protagonists. The twists and turns of a love affair, an unrequited crush, and a kidnapping/extortion plot complement a tightly drawn, intimate cast of memorably quick and dim-witted characters.

Quiver marks the breakthrough of a new force in thriller writing---an explosive and unforgettable debut.

Praise for Quiver:

“With its clever plotting and blood-and-guts characters, Quiver will certainly put Peter Leonard on the map. This is the start of something special.”
---Michael Connelly, New York Times bestselling author of The Overlook

Quiver's supercharged plot, rhythmic dialogue, and cool-under-pressure characters kept me reading into the night. An impressive, exciting debut from Peter Leonard.”
---George Pelecanos, New York Times bestselling author of The Night Gardener

"Quiver is a surprise and a delight, a twisty deadpan troll through some very devious neighborhoods.  I welcome Peter Leonard and look forward to whatever he wants to offer next."
--- Donald Westlake

"Quiver is terrific.  I have to make the corniest admission of all: Couldn't put it down."
---Mike Lupica, NY Daily News columnist

“Peter Leonard’s first novel, Quiver, amply shows that he’s the great Elmore’s son. This book is a wicked trip with the creeps and pukes that inhabit the criminal world who collide with a convincing heroine. The setting in the rural north of Michigan is unique and engaging. I salute Peter Leonard at the beginning of what will obviously be a fine career.”
---Jim Harrison, author of Returning to Earth and Legends of the Fall

"Quiver is a terrific debut. Peter Leonard has a good ear for voices, a good eye for detail, and a talent for bringing together elements that can't do anything but explode."
---Edgar Award Winner Thomas Perry, author of Silence

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:43 -0400)

"Kate McCall's husband has been killed by her son, Luke, in a tragic bow-hunting accident. As Kate struggles with her son's surly guilt, her first love, Jack, an ex-con, reappears, along with a crew of his former "colleagues," While Jack must convince his partners in crime that he really did lose the heist money, his appearance sets into motion a series of events culminating in a life-and-death confrontation with a gang of killers."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Peter Leonard's book Quiver was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,243,008 books! | Top bar: Always visible