Mercy (Department Q 1) (French Edition) by…

Mercy (Department Q 1) (French Edition) (original 2007; edition 2011)

by Jussi Adler-Olsen, Lisa Hartford (Translator)

Member:Hanneri
Title:Mercy (Department Q 1) (French Edition)
Authors:Jussi Adler-Olsen
Other authors:Lisa Hartford (Translator)
Info:Penguin Books (2011), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 503 pages
Collections:Your library, Europe Endless Challenge
Tags:2013, Denmark, Mystery

The Keeper of Lost Causes by Jussi Adler-Olsen (2007)

Recently added bycbalv, tiercelin, akth10, arena100, AnnieMod, palu, ErikBachmann, cougargirl1967, private library, ascense

English (100)  Dutch (15)  German (5)  Danish (2)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  Catalan (1)  All languages (127)
This is the first in a series of "Department Q" Danish police procedurals. Carl Mørck, is a deputy detective superintendent who been is relegated to the basement in an office where it is deemed he'll be no trouble. And at first he wants nothing more than to put his feet up and do nothing. When he learns the department was getting a windfall by creating this department of "lost causes" he uses that knowledge to his advantage to get an assistant and nice digs. Carl has a history of his own. He was involved in a shootout that killed one of his partners and paralyzed the other.

Assad, his assistant, a Muslim and another cast-off, seems to be always one step ahead. He’s a delightful character. They are tasked with investigating the disappearance, ostensibly a drowning, of a prominent political leader. This was the part I found totally implausible: a woman kept in a chamber for five years in which the atmospheric pressure is being gradually increased. She is fed through an airlock and tries to retain her sanity. The story that gradually unfolds concerns an intricate plot to get revenge for something that had happened years before..

It took me a while to get into this book, and I must say it was only the quirkiness of the main characters that kept me going. Perhaps it was the structure I found annoying, but the book became more intriguing as it progressed. I’ll try another in the series, but we’ll just have to see.

Note: AKA The Keeper of Lost Causes. ( )
  ecw0647 | Feb 14, 2015 |
In 2002, Merete Lynggaard, a prominent Danish politician, went missing on a car ferry from Denmark to Germany. She left behind her younger brother, Uffie, who had not spoken for 15 years, since an automobile accident they were involved in took their parents’ lives. Merete hasn’t been heard from since and it is presumed she went overboard and drowned.

In 2007, unpopular Police Detective Carl Morck was involved in a shooting in which one of his partners died and the other is in critical condition, probably paralyzed for life. Upon his return from medical leave, his boss Marcus Jacobsen couldn’t figure out what to do with him. Luckily, Parliament granted the police department an appropriation to create a department to re-examine cold cases, Department Q. Locate it in the basement which would minimize the risk of Morck interacting with other policemen and it would be a perfect place for Morck who can be abrasive at times.

Forced to chose a case to work on, Morck and his Syrian assistant Hafez al-Assad, unintentionally pick the Lynggaard disappearance–high profile and never solved. Morck initially shows no interest in the case but as Assad uncovers interesting information, Morck begins a real investigation.

Of course the officer who handled the initial call was the bumbling Bak. And, of course, Morck and Assad find many avenues of inquiry never pursued during the initial investigation.

Adler-Olsen has created a good detective in Morck and his comical sidekick Assad. Morck is the Danish version of the chain smoking brooding cop we’ve all come to know and love in American crime fiction. He’s estranged from his wife who lives in a cottage next door. His stepson lives upstairs and sponges off Morck and he’s got a finicky tenant who lives in the basement.

The Keeper of Lost Causes has an interesting premise which I won’t tell you about since it will spoil the fun. Adler-Olsen does go back and forth between 2002 and 2007 but that merely enhances the plot. Readers will be guessing until almost the end about ‘who done it’.

Although I enjoyed The Keeper of Lost Causes and would read the next book in this 5 book series, I did find it a slower read than most mysteries, even the other Nordic translations I’ve read. Possibly a little tighter editing might have helped, but all in all, it’s a good series. ( )
  EdGoldberg | Jan 19, 2015 |
I read this book as a way of dipping my toes into Nordic Noir. I enjoyed the main character, and especially his sidekick, Assam. But the description of what was happening to the kidnapped victim were really dark for me. It will be interesting to follow what happens with Dept Q in the future. ( )
  Pmaurer | Jan 8, 2015 |
READ IN DUTCH

This is the first book in Jussi Alder-Olsen's Q-series concerning Danish police detective Carl Morck. I have to admit, I always liked reading Scandinavian detectives a lot. But after years of reading them, I grew a bit tired. Had they first been very new and not as cliché as most US/UK detectives, I got very used to the Scandinavian theme as well.

But this book was different, I really enjoyed it. It was an easy read, but very nice and with a lot of suspense in it.

That cage really was terrifying!

I've ever since reading this book planned to read the rest of this series, but so far, I've only read the second book. ( )
  Floratina | Jan 4, 2015 |
After reading the second book out of order, I was disgusted by its extreme violence and vowed not to read other books in the series. But the siren song of my apartment building's donation library called to me, and I picked up this first book with the hope of learning more about the interesting police detectives who solve these cold cases.

On the plus side, the violence was slightly more bearable, and the back stories of the police staff were great. Unfortunately, however, the mystery itself was predictable. The "shocking twistl" was obvious early on, and it made me cynical about the investigative capabilities of both the initial police team and the second, Department Q staff. If I picked up on it that early, they should have, too.

I have changed my tune and will likely keep reading books in this series, which are bound to appear because as the writer states, "Since time immemorial, human beings had always transformed the suffering of fellow humans into entertainment. Each stratum of human history had revealed an infinitely thick layer of callousness. And the sediment forming new layers was constantly piling up..." ( )
  librarianarpita | Dec 21, 2014 |

Mendizábal, Juan MaríaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mendizábal, Juan MaríaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thiess, HannesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vries, Kor deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Opgedragen aan Hanne Adler-Olsen.
Zonder haar zou de bron opdrogen.
Dedicated to Hanne Adler-Olsen. Without her, the well would run dry.
Ze krabde haar vingertoppen tot bloedens toe open op de gladde wanden en sloeg met haar vuisten tegen de dikke ruiten tot ze haar handen niet meer voelde.
She scratched her fingertips on the smooth walls until they bled, and pounded her fists on the thick panes until she could no longer feel her hands.
Information from the Danish Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

Jussi Adler-Olsen is Denmark's premier crime writer. His books routinely top the bestseller lists in northern Europe, and he's won just about every Nordic crime-writing award, including the prestigious Glass Key Award — also won by Henning Mankell, Stieg Larsson, and Jo Nesbo. Now he's introduced to America.

The Keeper of Lost Causes, the first installment of Adler-Olsen's Department Q series, features the deeply flawed chief detective Carl Mørck, who used to be a good homicide detective — one of Copenhagen's best. Then a bullet almost took his life. Two of his colleagues weren't so lucky, and Carl, who didn't draw his weapon, blames himself.

So a promotion is the last thing Carl expects.

But it all becomes clear when he sees his new office in the basement. Carl's been selected to run Department Q, a new special investigations division that turns out to be a department of one. With a stack of Copenhagen's coldest cases to keep him company, Carl's been put out to pasture. So he's as surprised as anyone when a case actually captures his interest. A missing politician vanished without a trace five years earlier. The world assumes she's dead. His colleagues snicker about the time he's wasting. But Carl may have the last laugh, and redeem himself in the process.

Because she isn't dead... yet.

Chief detective Carl M?ck, recovering from what he thought was a career-destroying gunshot wound, is relegated to cold cases and becomes immersed in the five-year disappearance of a politician.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141399961, 0718156889

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,751,349 books! | Top bar: Always visible