Mercy (Department Q 1) (French Edition) by…

Mercy (Department Q 1) (French Edition) (original 2007; edition 2011)

by Jussi Adler-Olsen, Lisa Hartford (Translator)

Member:Hanneri
Title:Mercy (Department Q 1) (French Edition)
Authors:Jussi Adler-Olsen
Other authors:Lisa Hartford (Translator)
Info:Penguin Books (2011), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 503 pages
Collections:Your library, Europe Endless Challenge
Tags:2013, Denmark, Mystery

The Keeper of Lost Causes by Jussi Adler-Olsen (2007)

Recently added byPhilippe_Nollet, Martyne, name-0x, booknest, Jcambridge, private library, Rena37

English (118)  Dutch (16)  German (7)  Spanish (3)  Danish (2)  Catalan (2)  French (2)  All (150)
I can see why Jussi Adler-Olsen is so popular in Europe. This novel held my attention throughout and although information was withheld once or twice, it was only for a few pages. It built well to its ending – all well-proportioned.

Adler-Olsen created a different type of detective in Carl Mørck – yes, he’s the usual somewhat cynical type who bucks the system but by giving him Assad as an assistant, both a different aspect of his personality emerges and a lighter tone is achieved.

I also liked the wider observations made along the way – a lot of negative appraisals of politicians which could apply to most countries around the world: ‘everybody (i.e. all the politicians in one party) pretended to be the best of friends, but they were all thinking only of themselves when it came to settling scores. Everything was based on kroner and øre and power, not so much on results’. And he comments as well on the way the urban landscape was being destroyed as ‘what had previously been a picturesque feast for the eyes had now turned into a tunnel of dolled-up concrete’.

I thought Lisa Hartford’s translation read fluently and naturally and since a lot of the wry humour comes from the expression, it’s clear that she managed well to capture the author’s tone. ( )
  evening | Apr 15, 2017 |
I had no idea what this was - I got it at the gift exchange thing. Too graphic, too violent. What was I thinking by even starting it? ( )
  SusanKrzywicki | Dec 19, 2016 |
We went to Copenhagen last year for family vacation, and wanted to read something local, settling on a murder mystery. Thus, after days of walking and exploring the marvelous capital of Denmark, we lost ourselves in a reading war. (What part are you at? Wait, don't tell me about that, I'm not there yet!). This was our book. It's a very smooth mystery. We loved the city, we liked the book, we bonded with the characters. Carl Mork is the lead detective, an unrepentant ass who is relegated to the basement of the police station – out of sight, out of mind, and assigned a pile of cold cases. The unsolvables. Neglected, written off as impossible. Justice abandoned. Not unlike Carl, who makes the best of things by smoking and reading the paper with his feet up.
They send him an assistant, tall Assad, who's from the middle east, drinks tea, prays to mecca, and may or may not have some kind of a highly talented past as a trained CIA...____? C'mon Carl, look at this case, he says, having read through the stack. He thinks he's found something. A thread. Is it? The hunt is on. ( )
  LeonardGMokos | Nov 22, 2016 |
Ehkä näitä voi lukea lisää. Juoni arvattavissa ja vähän pitkästi kirjoitettu. ( )
  RistoZ | Aug 20, 2016 |
I had high hopes for yet another Scandinavian mystery author, and Jussi mostly delivered. The plot was well constructed and the characters were, for the most part, properly developed. My only quibble with the story is the fact that the first half moves at a glacial pace, although the dual time-line for the victim and police characters was an interesting technique. I look forward to exploring the rest of this series- I like both of the significant police characters, Carl the inspector and his side-kick Assad, and I especially want to see how Assad's character develops in subsequent stories. ( )
  gmmartz | Jun 21, 2016 |

Krogstad, ErikTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mendizábal, Juan MaríaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thiess, HannesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vries, Kor deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Opgedragen aan Hanne Adler-Olsen.
Zonder haar zou de bron opdrogen.
Dedicated to Hanne Adler-Olsen. Without her, the well would run dry.
Ze krabde haar vingertoppen tot bloedens toe open op de gladde wanden en sloeg met haar vuisten tegen de dikke ruiten tot ze haar handen niet meer voelde.
She scratched her fingertips on the smooth walls until they bled, and pounded her fists on the thick panes until she could no longer feel her hands.

Jussi Adler-Olsen is Denmark's premier crime writer. His books routinely top the bestseller lists in northern Europe, and he's won just about every Nordic crime-writing award, including the prestigious Glass Key Award — also won by Henning Mankell, Stieg Larsson, and Jo Nesbo. Now he's introduced to America.

The Keeper of Lost Causes, the first installment of Adler-Olsen's Department Q series, features the deeply flawed chief detective Carl Mørck, who used to be a good homicide detective — one of Copenhagen's best. Then a bullet almost took his life. Two of his colleagues weren't so lucky, and Carl, who didn't draw his weapon, blames himself.

So a promotion is the last thing Carl expects.

But it all becomes clear when he sees his new office in the basement. Carl's been selected to run Department Q, a new special investigations division that turns out to be a department of one. With a stack of Copenhagen's coldest cases to keep him company, Carl's been put out to pasture. So he's as surprised as anyone when a case actually captures his interest. A missing politician vanished without a trace five years earlier. The world assumes she's dead. His colleagues snicker about the time he's wasting. But Carl may have the last laugh, and redeem himself in the process.

Because she isn't dead... yet.

Chief detective Carl M?ck, recovering from what he thought was a career-destroying gunshot wound, is relegated to cold cases and becomes immersed in the five-year disappearance of a politician.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141399961, 0718156889

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,353,900 books! | Top bar: Always visible