Erbarmen by Jussi Adler Olsen

Erbarmen (original 2007; edition 2011)

by Jussi Adler Olsen

Member:Strutzenberger
Title:Erbarmen
Authors:Jussi Adler Olsen
Info:DTV Deutscher Taschenbuch (2011), Paperback
Rating:***1/2

The Keeper of Lost Causes by Jussi Adler-Olsen (2007)

English (118)  Dutch (15)  German (6)  Spanish (3)  Danish (2)  French (2)  Catalan (2)  English (148)
We went to Copenhagen last year for family vacation, and wanted to read something local, settling on a murder mystery. Thus, after days of walking and exploring the marvelous capital of Denmark, we lost ourselves in a reading war. (What part are you at? Wait, don't tell me about that, I'm not there yet!). This was our book. It's a very smooth mystery. We loved the city, we liked the book, we bonded with the characters. Carl Mork is the lead detective, an unrepentant ass who is relegated to the basement of the police station – out of sight, out of mind, and assigned a pile of cold cases. The unsolvables. Neglected, written off as impossible. Justice abandoned. Not unlike Carl, who makes the best of things by smoking and reading the paper with his feet up.
They send him an assistant, tall Assad, who's from the middle east, drinks tea, prays to mecca, and may or may not have some kind of a highly talented past as a trained CIA...____? C'mon Carl, look at this case, he says, having read through the stack. He thinks he's found something. A thread. Is it? The hunt is on. ( )
  LeonardGMokos | Nov 22, 2016 |
Ehkä näitä voi lukea lisää. Juoni arvattavissa ja vähän pitkästi kirjoitettu. ( )
  RistoZ | Aug 20, 2016 |
I had high hopes for yet another Scandinavian mystery author, and Jussi mostly delivered. The plot was well constructed and the characters were, for the most part, properly developed. My only quibble with the story is the fact that the first half moves at a glacial pace, although the dual time-line for the victim and police characters was an interesting technique. I look forward to exploring the rest of this series- I like both of the significant police characters, Carl the inspector and his side-kick Assad, and I especially want to see how Assad's character develops in subsequent stories. ( )
  gmmartz | Jun 21, 2016 |
From Amazon:

Carl Mørck used to be one of Copenhagen’s best homicide detectives. Then a hail of bullets destroyed the lives of two fellow cops, and Carl—who didn’t draw his weapon—blames himself. So a promotion is the last thing he expects. But Department Q is a department of one, and Carl’s got only a stack of Copenhagen’s coldest cases for company. His colleagues snicker, but Carl may have the last laugh, because one file keeps nagging at him: a liberal politician vanished five years earlier and is presumed dead. But she isn’t dead … yet.

My Thoughts:

I found this to be an enjoyable book with only a few awkward bits of dialogue sprinkled throughout...perhaps the result of the translation...and a few parts that move a bit slowly. Also I found it difficult to believe that the conditions that one of this novel's protagonists was subjected to for half a decade would not have completely broken her psychologically...if not physically. This element of the book strains credibility to the breaking point. In spite of these minor flaws I liked that the investigating detective and his associate allows the reader to guess along with them as they get closer to the truth while fending off the politics of the Danish police system. 4 stars.
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
READ IN DUTCH

This is the first book in Jussi Alder-Olsen's Q-series concerning Danish police detective Carl Morck. I have to admit, I always liked reading Scandinavian detectives a lot. But after years of reading them, I grew a bit tired. Had they first been very new and not as cliché as most US/UK detectives, I got very used to the Scandinavian theme as well.

But this book was different, I really enjoyed it. It was an easy read, but very nice and with a lot of suspense in it.

That cage really was terrifying!

I've ever since reading this book planned to read the rest of this series, but so far, I've only read the second book. ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |

Krogstad, ErikTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mendizábal, Juan MaríaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thiess, HannesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vries, Kor deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Opgedragen aan Hanne Adler-Olsen.
Zonder haar zou de bron opdrogen.
Dedicated to Hanne Adler-Olsen. Without her, the well would run dry.
Ze krabde haar vingertoppen tot bloedens toe open op de gladde wanden en sloeg met haar vuisten tegen de dikke ruiten tot ze haar handen niet meer voelde.
She scratched her fingertips on the smooth walls until they bled, and pounded her fists on the thick panes until she could no longer feel her hands.

Jussi Adler-Olsen is Denmark's premier crime writer. His books routinely top the bestseller lists in northern Europe, and he's won just about every Nordic crime-writing award, including the prestigious Glass Key Award — also won by Henning Mankell, Stieg Larsson, and Jo Nesbo. Now he's introduced to America.

The Keeper of Lost Causes, the first installment of Adler-Olsen's Department Q series, features the deeply flawed chief detective Carl Mørck, who used to be a good homicide detective — one of Copenhagen's best. Then a bullet almost took his life. Two of his colleagues weren't so lucky, and Carl, who didn't draw his weapon, blames himself.

So a promotion is the last thing Carl expects.

But it all becomes clear when he sees his new office in the basement. Carl's been selected to run Department Q, a new special investigations division that turns out to be a department of one. With a stack of Copenhagen's coldest cases to keep him company, Carl's been put out to pasture. So he's as surprised as anyone when a case actually captures his interest. A missing politician vanished without a trace five years earlier. The world assumes she's dead. His colleagues snicker about the time he's wasting. But Carl may have the last laugh, and redeem himself in the process.

Because she isn't dead... yet.

Chief detective Carl M?ck, recovering from what he thought was a career-destroying gunshot wound, is relegated to cold cases and becomes immersed in the five-year disappearance of a politician.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141399961, 0718156889

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,663,296 books! | Top bar: Always visible