Owlknight by Mercedes Lackey

LOVED IT. I love all of Lackey's books, all of her characters are so amazing and you just get pulled in every time; I hope she makes more Valdemar books, they're so fun because of all the recurring characters we all love. ( )
  Steph1203 | Mar 14, 2014 |
This series was my least favorite of the Valdemar books. ( )
  AudraJean | Apr 3, 2013 |
This series was my least favorite of the Valdemar books. ( )
  AudraJean | Apr 3, 2013 |
Eh. This book was sort of muddled and overlong, and I think the entire "knight" subplot was created just so the title could rhyme with the others. (There is no indication in any other book that "knight" is an actual title used in Valdemar.) The actual adventure isn't bad, although the ending is a little too pat, but the fact that it didn't actually start until halfway through the book tried my patience.

Not the worst of the Valdemar books, and the Owl stuff isn't the worst trilogy, but it's really not up to par with the best of them, and it's more obviously aimed at a YA audience without really being short and punchy enough to play to that market's strengths. ( )
  JeremyPreacher | Mar 30, 2013 |
Yeah, that's good. It takes quite a while to get started - the first third or more is planning for and description of some complicated ceremonies, welcoming the Heralds who will be stationed in the Vale (including Shandi) while making Darian a knight of Valdemar and a brother of the Ghost Cat tribe. Then chance and choice combine and Darian learns that his parents are still alive, and far to the north. He and his friends set out to find them, with adventures of many sorts along the way - from encounters with yet more Northern spirit-totems to a battle with a cold-drake. What they find is all Darian could have hoped for, and more, and less; the final battle with the Eclipse Shaman is - almost a distraction from the real story. The ending always makes me cry, and laugh. And a proper happy-ever-after to round things out. Darian's story is much lighter, and smaller in scope, than some of the others; it's not one of my favorites, either, though quite enjoyable. But there are some scenes, mostly in this book, that are up to the best in the rest of the Valdemar stories. Good book. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Apr 6, 2012 |

Mercedes Lackeyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dixon, LarryAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Dixon, LarryIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, Jody A.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To our wonderful, loyal fans.

We've got soul.
We've got each other.
We've got the whole world to embrace.
This one's for you.
A shrill whistle caught Darian's attention, and he looked up over the lake of k'Valedemar Vale, shading his eyes with his hand.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0886779162, Mass Market Paperback)

Owlknight follows Mercedes Lackey and Larry Dixon's two earlier novels about Darian Firkin, Owlflight and Owlsight. By now the boy who ran from barbarian invaders is both knight of Valdemar and a master mage; he is governor of a small province and in love with Keisha who returns his feelings, but he still has problems and responsibilities. For one thing, he has never solved the mystery of what happened to his parents. For another, Keisha refuses to marry him lest his role as governor and hers of healer come into conflict--and there are still barbarians beyond the border who threaten one day to come back.

The story of how these problems are all resolved is told in a quiet tone unusual in this sort of epic fantasy. Darian has as much to look within for the solution to these issues as to struggle in the outside world. The woodland journey during which he does this is much of the time a celebration of the renewal of the human soul by the natural world.

Lackey and Dixon have found a courtly, meditative way of telling an attractively simple story. Darian's growth to final maturity is inevitable, but still fascinating. --Roz Kaveney, Amazon.co.uk

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:55 -0400)

From these two legendary fantasy authors comes the third and final volume in a powerful saga of war and magic, life and love. Darian has opened his heart to a beautiful young healer when he learns that his parents are still alive and trapped behind enemy borders.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,706,522 books! | Top bar: Always visible