Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton

Guilty Pleasures (1993)

by Laurell K. Hamilton

Series: Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter (1)

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (FFortuna)
    A Kiss of Shadows by Laurell K. Hamilton (Maeghan)
    Storm Front by Jim Butcher (FFortuna)
    Blood Price by Tanya Huff (FFortuna)
    Wicked Game by Jeri Smith-Ready (FFortuna)
    Blood Bound by Patricia Briggs (pollywannabook)
    Of Saints and Shadows by Christopher Golden (Scottneumann)
    Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire (Anonymous user)
    Shadows in the Darkness by Elaine Cunningham (kiesa)
    Any Given Doomsday by Lori Handeland (SunnySD)
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: Both of these stories revolve around strong, independent, witty women battling supernatural creatures.
    Nightlife by Rob Thurman (Joybee)
    Joybee: Another dark, urban fantasy but with male main character. Just a hint of romance but lots of scary monsters.
    The Tomb by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)
    Conspiracies by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)
    The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers by Angie Fox (asphyxiad0ll)
    Arcane Solutions by Gayla Drummond (BJ3568)
    Dire Blood by SM Reine (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both feature a strong female protagonist who is trained to kill supernatural creatures and who tries to solve a supernatural mystery. Both are gritty and horrific in their descriptions of events, but both are well written compelling stories that deepen as the books progress… (more)

English (169)  French (3)  German (2)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  Czech (1)  All (178)
I recently reread this after retrieving a dozen books in the series from storage. This is the series that got me reading the paranormal books years ago. Unfortunately, after a few books, the stories became more and more fixated on sex, to the point I finally gave up on the series. Too bad -- I enjoyed this book. I donated the whole series to the library. ( )
  DennisSanDiego | Apr 19, 2017 |
Predictable tale of the dead and undead. ( )
  turtlesleap | Dec 20, 2016 |
The first time I read Guilty Pleasures was about 5 years ago. I remember I was still a newbie to urban fantasy and paranormal and I wasn't quite sure what I should be expecting. A lot of the elements in this book were new to me at the time I first read it.

I liked Guilty Pleasures the first time I read it and I liked it more now. Anita Blake is a strong character and it was easy to like her. She's calculated, or so I saw her. I thought she was pretty judgmental towards anything concerning vampires, from the creatures themselves to the humans that liked, loved and/or served them. I'd like to know what makes her hate them so. I get the fact that they are evil creatures and that she's a vampire slayer and she's been through some violent moments because of vampires, but I'd like to know what the starting point was.

There was a thing that bugged me a little about her. The book starts with a scared Anita. I know that being a warrior or a vampire slayer or an assassin doesn't mean you're not allowed to be afraid. I also know that not being scared of them would've been stupid. But for some reason I was hoping she'd be more like Edward, the other vampire slayer. He's colder, he's able to detach himself more and he can control his emotions and his reactions a lot better than Anita. I would've wanted Anita to be more like that. She has the reputation of a fearless vampire slayer, why not act like one?

If you're waiting for some steamy sex scenes, let me tell you there are none. That was one of the things that left me a little disappointed the first time I read the book. Even now, I still wished to see Jean-Claude naked, but I must have a little more patience for that *sigh*

Anyway, the book was a very good read. Fast paced, with some mystery, drama, suspense and action. The only thing I'm hoping for is that Anita and Jean-Claude do get to the naked part soon in the upcoming books :) ( )
  Rubys.books | Oct 15, 2016 |
First in a new series for me that I've been meaning to read for a while. At first I was intrigued with the world this book is set in (a world where Vampires, Zombies, etc. are accepted as the norm among normal humans). The author seemed to lose a little steam towards the middle of the book, but picked it back up with a vengeance for the ending. The main character was awesome and I can't help but be reminded of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, another old fav. Definitely gonna read the next one. ( )
  thanbini | Jun 19, 2016 |
This book has it all - lust, violence, blood, suspense, great characters, and a dramatic, tragic ending. An excellent beginning to the Anita Blake series, starting the path for further winners down the road. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |

Hamilton, Laurell K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alexis, KimberlyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Gary W. Hamilton, who doesn't like scary things, but who read this book anyway.
To Gary W. Hamilton, my husband, who doesn't like scary things, but who read this book anyway.
Willie McCoy had been a jerk before he died. His being dead hadn't changed that.

"I DON'T DATE VAMPIRES. I KILL THEM."

My name is Anita Blake. Vampires call me The Executioner. What I call them isn't repeatable.

Ever since the Supreme Court granted the undead equal rights, most people think vampires are just ordinary folks with fangs. I know better. I've seen their victims. I carry the scars...

But now a serial killer is murdering vampires--and the most powerful bloodsucker in town wants me to find the killer...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 051513449X, Mass Market Paperback)

Anita Blake may be small and young, but vampires call her the Executioner. Anita is a necromancer and vampire hunter in a time when vampires are protected by law--as long as they don't get too nasty. Now someone's killing innocent vampires and Anita agrees--with a bit of vampiric arm-twisting--to help figure out who and why.

Trust is a luxury Anita can't afford when her allies aren't human. The city's most powerful vampire, Nikolaos, is 1,000 years old and looks like a 10-year-old girl. The second most powerful vampire, Jean-Claude, is interested in more than just Anita's professional talents, but the feisty necromancer isn't playing along--yet. This popular series has a wild energy and humor, and some very appealing characters--both dead and alive.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:59 -0400)

Vampire hunter Anita Blake must shift her attention from catching vampires to helping them when she is hired to stop a serial killer from murdering any more vampires.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,373,788 books! | Top bar: Always visible