Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton

Guilty Pleasures (original 1993; edition 1995)

by Laurell K. Hamilton

6,519157585 (3.8)90
Member:geemont
Title:Guilty Pleasures
Authors:Laurell K. Hamilton
Info:Ace Books (1995), Mass Market Paperback
Tags:horror, novel, Anita Blake, vampires, vampire romance, mass market paperback

Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton (1993)

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (FFortuna)
    A Kiss of Shadows by Laurell K. Hamilton (Maeghan)
    Storm Front by Jim Butcher (FFortuna)
    Blood Price by Tanya Huff (FFortuna)
    Wicked Game by Jeri Smith-Ready (FFortuna)
    Of Saints and Shadows by Christopher Golden (Scottneumann)
    Blood Bound by Patricia Briggs (pollywannabook)
    Shadows in the Darkness by Elaine Cunningham (kiesa)
    Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire (Anonymous user)
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: Both of these stories revolve around strong, independent, witty women battling supernatural creatures.
    Any Given Doomsday by Lori Handeland (SunnySD)
    Anita Blake: Guilty Pleasures 11 by Laurell K. Hamilton (Anonymous user)
    Nightlife by Rob Thurman (Joybee)
    Joybee: Another dark, urban fantasy but with male main character. Just a hint of romance but lots of scary monsters.
    The Tomb by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)
    Conspiracies by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)
    The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers by Angie Fox (asphyxiad0ll)
    Dire Blood by SM Reine (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both feature a strong female protagonist who is trained to kill supernatural creatures and who tries to solve a supernatural mystery. Both are gritty and horrific in their descriptions of events, but both are well written compelling stories that deepen as the books progress… (more)

English (149)  French (3)  German (2)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (157)
Fabulous! I want a little of her gumption.
  amywan71 | Nov 22, 2014 |
I'm not really sure how I feel about Guilty Pleasures. I feel like I should have liked it. Unfortunately, I just couldn't get into it. I felt like I was coming in at the middle of the series, when I know this is the first book. It seemed that there was a lot of background missing, holes in the back story that were somewhat confusing for me.

I also had a hard time believing in Anita Blake as "The Executioner." She seemed a little dense at times, and was described many times as small and while in shape, it was made clear she couldn't take on anybody bigger than her. How had she managed to kill so many vampires if that was the case?

All in all, I don't think I'll be continuing on with the series. The only draw would be to discover what Anita's relationship with the master vampire would turn out to be. It was clearly left as a cliff-hanger, and was the most enticing part of the book, even though it was not a main focus. ( )
  kateminasian | Nov 22, 2014 |
It's been so long since I first read this book that I forgot how much I enjoyed Laurell K Hamilton's writing. I am going to re-read the entire series before I hop over to the faery series.

This book has everything a girl could want in an urban fantasy...guns, knives, zombies, vampires, were-rats...I could go on but there really is no need. I love the world that Laurell built in this book and the amazing character of Anita. I'll keep reading..I know it goes off the rails a bit but it will be nice to see where it ends up after all this time once I'm through. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
Guilty Pleasures in the first book in the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter Series written by Laurell K. Hamilton. There are currently 21 books in the series and I have read all of them and try to re-read the entire series at least once a year. Starting with the first book you learn about this feisty little lady who has the natural ability to raise zombies and does it for a living. On the side, she helps the local police solve crimes involving vampires and other non-natural people. She isn't having much luck in her love life and seems to be attracted to all the wrong men. We can all relate to that at one time or another. Ms. Hamilton makes us believe that vampires, zombies and werewolves are possible and tells us what would their everyday lives entail should they have to make a living, pay their bills and try to get along with their neighbors like the rest of us. Give the series a try.

FYI after the 5th book in the series there will be more intense/alternative sex scenes in the story lines. Some may like that sort of things while others may not. ( )
  Jolenemacinjax | Nov 12, 2014 |
This book definitely lives up to its name for me. Actually the incident began wit my picking up a copy of the second volume (Laughing Corpse) in the university library and reading it for an hour when I should have been working. Since I hd not read the first book (and I believe in doing series in order) I ordered a cheap copy of this book, and when it came in I sat in my office and read it for hours when I should have been working, and then read it fairly steadily at home till I finished it. Hamilton definitely has the gift of trapping the reader's interest. She also has some nice wry wit. I like the fact that the heroine is a "happy Episcopalian" with a real sense of good and evil. On the other hand. there are a lot of just plain grisly and sometimes revolting scenes, not all of which really seem justified by the plot, and some lose ends. Going to the Guilty Pleasures vampire strio club is justified --the vampires are gaining control of Anita's friend so she will help them find out who is killing top vampires --but going to a freak party --supposedly some of the victims enjoyed these human-vampire group gropes --suddenly reverts to a scene with a zombie in a cemetery, and finding the notation "Ned" on the calendar of Malcolm the vampire leader of the Church of Eternal Life leads nowhere at ll, nor is it explained away. ( )
  antiquary | Nov 1, 2014 |

Laurell K. Hamiltonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alexis, KimberlyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Gary W. Hamilton, who doesn't like scary things, but who read this book anyway.
To Gary W. Hamilton, my husband, who doesn't like scary things, but who read this book anyway.
Willie McCoy had been a jerk before he died. His being dead hadn't changed that.

wikipedia.com- Anita Blake lives in St. Louis, Missouri, in a world where magic, vampires, werewolves, and the like are "out of the closet" and, in some cases, even legal. Anita is an "animator," with the ability to raise or inter zombies. She uses this ability in employ at "Animators, Incorporated," where she raises the dead for various purposes including murder investigations, will explanations, and other legal services. Anita also works as a "vampire executioner," killing vampires (by court order) and advising the police on supernatural crimes. This first book takes place in July when Anita is 24.

In Guilty Pleasures, Anita is blackmailed by Nikolaos, the vampire master of the city, into investigating a series of vampire murders. During the course of this investigation, Anita begins her relationship with Jean-Claude, another master vampire, and receives two of the four marks necessary to make her Jean-Claude's "human servant." Ultimately, Anita identifies the murderer, but by that point has sufficiently antagonized Nikolaos and her underlings that she is forced to confront them. Ultimately, with help from Jean-Claude and Edward, a human associate who specializes in assassinating supernatural targets, Anita kills Nikolaos and many of her followers, making Jean-Claude master of the city.
My name is Anita Blake. Vampires call me The Executioner. What I call them isn't repeatable.Ever since the Supreme Court granted the undead equal rights, most people think vampires are just ordinary folks with fangs. I know better. I've seen their victims. I carry the scars...

But now a serial killer is murdering vampires -- and the most powerful bloodsucker in town wants me to find the killer...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 051513449X, Mass Market Paperback)

Anita Blake may be small and young, but vampires call her the Executioner. Anita is a necromancer and vampire hunter in a time when vampires are protected by law--as long as they don't get too nasty. Now someone's killing innocent vampires and Anita agrees--with a bit of vampiric arm-twisting--to help figure out who and why.

Trust is a luxury Anita can't afford when her allies aren't human. The city's most powerful vampire, Nikolaos, is 1,000 years old and looks like a 10-year-old girl. The second most powerful vampire, Jean-Claude, is interested in more than just Anita's professional talents, but the feisty necromancer isn't playing along--yet. This popular series has a wild energy and humor, and some very appealing characters--both dead and alive.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:49 -0400)

Vampire hunter Anita Blake must shift her attention from catching vampires to helping them when she is hired to stop a serial killer from murdering any more vampires.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,361,432 books! | Top bar: Always visible