Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton

Guilty Pleasures (original 1993; edition 1995)

by Laurell K. Hamilton

Member:geemont
Title:Guilty Pleasures
Authors:Laurell K. Hamilton
Info:Ace Books (1995), Mass Market Paperback
Tags:horror, novel, Anita Blake, vampires, vampire romance, mass market paperback

Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton (1993)

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (FFortuna)
    A Kiss of Shadows by Laurell K. Hamilton (Maeghan)
    Storm Front by Jim Butcher (FFortuna)
    Blood Price by Tanya Huff (FFortuna)
    Wicked Game by Jeri Smith-Ready (FFortuna)
    Of Saints and Shadows by Christopher Golden (Scottneumann)
    Blood Bound by Patricia Briggs (pollywannabook)
    Shadows in the Darkness by Elaine Cunningham (kiesa)
    Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire (Anonymous user)
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: Both of these stories revolve around strong, independent, witty women battling supernatural creatures.
    Any Given Doomsday by Lori Handeland (SunnySD)
    Anita Blake: Guilty Pleasures 11 by Laurell K. Hamilton (Anonymous user)
    Nightlife by Rob Thurman (Joybee)
    Joybee: Another dark, urban fantasy but with male main character. Just a hint of romance but lots of scary monsters.
    The Tomb by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)
    Conspiracies by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)
    The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers by Angie Fox (asphyxiad0ll)
    Dire Blood by SM Reine (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both feature a strong female protagonist who is trained to kill supernatural creatures and who tries to solve a supernatural mystery. Both are gritty and horrific in their descriptions of events, but both are well written compelling stories that deepen as the books progress… (more)

English (152)  French (3)  German (2)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (160)
"Guilty Pleasures" has become one of my guilty pleasures! I picked up this mostly due to the fact that it was fantasy and had the word Vampire in it. This book had me hooked from the first chapter. Laurell K. Hamilton has put a wonderful spin on the overused vampire genre. Beware though this book isn't for the faint of heart ! It's full of gore and saucy moments.

The moment Antia Blake is introduced I fell in love with her. She's a tiny spitfire filled with sarcastic humor and a complete badass. As a necromancer and vampire hunter she is every undead creatures nightmare come to life. Anita Blake has earned her title as the Executioner. Antia is short has tons of curly hair and isn't perfect.She has scars and a personality that's just kick-ass. Honestly she is a believable character that isn't boring because she is more like an actual woman in real life and isn't portrayed as being this sex goddess who is model thin with perfect features. Frankly those perfect female characters have become boring and a character like Anita Blake is refreshing. You'll be rooting for her throughout the entire book. Though the one character you will have an instant crush on is the vampire Jean Cluade. He is the personification of sex on leather clad legs and knee high boots.Usually these characters can be quite boring but he has layers and you can't help but fall for his charm even though he's one of the undead that Antia has sworn to protect the living from.

The spin that this book has put on vampires and other supernatural creatures is intriguing , because in this world they are considered normal in everyday life. Hamilton has mixed these two worlds in a wonderful manner that it makes the book into something you've never read before. It's worth picking up to try as long as you read it when no one else is around! "Guilty Pleasures" is a great naughty read that has a plot and love able characters as well as some truly evil characters that will make you want to read the rest of the sinfully good books in this series. ( )
  Jennamarie96 | Feb 23, 2015 |
My sister bought this book for me, and I have to admit that I didn't pick it up until I read an article in Wizard about them turning the Anita Blake books into graphic novels. And ok, I snjoyed it. Like a cream puff, no wait, more like a chocolate covered old-fashioned donut. It'll sit like a rock in my belly for a few hours, but damn, it was a tasty treat at the time. ( )
  laurustina | Jan 14, 2015 |
The only reason the Anita Blake series made it on my reading challenge list was because of the rumors I had heard about the books. I’ve always been told that Laurell K. Hamilton writes graphic, detailed sex scenes. I was embarrassed the first time I ever read a story in which characters engaged in sexual acts, but I’ve come a long way since then. Now I love a well described sexual encounter and pray for them in the novels in which the characters have sizzling chemistry. I put the first book in the Anita Blake series on my list so I could try out the series to see if I liked it. After finishing the entire Hush, Hush series within the past three days (you heard read me right—I binged), I needed a satisfying sex scene to alleviate all that tension so I turned to the author I heard so much about. I won’t ruin the Hush, Hush series for anyone but if you’re looking for something steamy, you might want to look away from young adult novels. Silly me for not accounting for the target audience in my expectations of the books. Never again!

Moving on to Guilty Pleasures, this book didn’t feel like a guilty pleasure at all.

Read more: http://theparanormalreview.blogspot.com/2014/12/guilty-pleasures-by-laurell-k-ha... ( )
  Katie.Loughlin | Dec 19, 2014 |
Fabulous! I want a little of her gumption.
  amywan71 | Nov 22, 2014 |
I'm not really sure how I feel about Guilty Pleasures. I feel like I should have liked it. Unfortunately, I just couldn't get into it. I felt like I was coming in at the middle of the series, when I know this is the first book. It seemed that there was a lot of background missing, holes in the back story that were somewhat confusing for me.

I also had a hard time believing in Anita Blake as "The Executioner." She seemed a little dense at times, and was described many times as small and while in shape, it was made clear she couldn't take on anybody bigger than her. How had she managed to kill so many vampires if that was the case?

All in all, I don't think I'll be continuing on with the series. The only draw would be to discover what Anita's relationship with the master vampire would turn out to be. It was clearly left as a cliff-hanger, and was the most enticing part of the book, even though it was not a main focus. ( )
  kateminasian | Nov 22, 2014 |

Laurell K. Hamiltonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alexis, KimberlyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Gary W. Hamilton, who doesn't like scary things, but who read this book anyway.
To Gary W. Hamilton, my husband, who doesn't like scary things, but who read this book anyway.
Willie McCoy had been a jerk before he died. His being dead hadn't changed that.

wikipedia.com- Anita Blake lives in St. Louis, Missouri, in a world where magic, vampires, werewolves, and the like are "out of the closet" and, in some cases, even legal. Anita is an "animator," with the ability to raise or inter zombies. She uses this ability in employ at "Animators, Incorporated," where she raises the dead for various purposes including murder investigations, will explanations, and other legal services. Anita also works as a "vampire executioner," killing vampires (by court order) and advising the police on supernatural crimes. This first book takes place in July when Anita is 24.

In Guilty Pleasures, Anita is blackmailed by Nikolaos, the vampire master of the city, into investigating a series of vampire murders. During the course of this investigation, Anita begins her relationship with Jean-Claude, another master vampire, and receives two of the four marks necessary to make her Jean-Claude's "human servant." Ultimately, Anita identifies the murderer, but by that point has sufficiently antagonized Nikolaos and her underlings that she is forced to confront them. Ultimately, with help from Jean-Claude and Edward, a human associate who specializes in assassinating supernatural targets, Anita kills Nikolaos and many of her followers, making Jean-Claude master of the city.
My name is Anita Blake. Vampires call me The Executioner. What I call them isn't repeatable.Ever since the Supreme Court granted the undead equal rights, most people think vampires are just ordinary folks with fangs. I know better. I've seen their victims. I carry the scars...

But now a serial killer is murdering vampires -- and the most powerful bloodsucker in town wants me to find the killer...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 051513449X, Mass Market Paperback)

Anita Blake may be small and young, but vampires call her the Executioner. Anita is a necromancer and vampire hunter in a time when vampires are protected by law--as long as they don't get too nasty. Now someone's killing innocent vampires and Anita agrees--with a bit of vampiric arm-twisting--to help figure out who and why.

Trust is a luxury Anita can't afford when her allies aren't human. The city's most powerful vampire, Nikolaos, is 1,000 years old and looks like a 10-year-old girl. The second most powerful vampire, Jean-Claude, is interested in more than just Anita's professional talents, but the feisty necromancer isn't playing along--yet. This popular series has a wild energy and humor, and some very appealing characters--both dead and alive.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:49 -0400)

Vampire hunter Anita Blake must shift her attention from catching vampires to helping them when she is hired to stop a serial killer from murdering any more vampires.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,778,391 books! | Top bar: Always visible