Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton

Guilty Pleasures (original 1993; edition 1995)

by Laurell K. Hamilton

6,322None617 (3.8)86
Member:geemont
Title:Guilty Pleasures
Authors:Laurell K. Hamilton
Info:Ace Books (1995), Mass Market Paperback
Tags:horror, novel, Anita Blake, vampires, vampire romance, mass market paperback

Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton (1993)

Anita Blake (445) Anita Blake Series (28) dark fantasy (56) ebook (42) erotica (51) fantasy (404) fiction (432) horror (311) Laurell K. Hamilton (47) magic (39) mystery (122) necromancer (31) necromancy (41) own (43) paperback (38) paranormal (199) paranormal romance (60) read (120) romance (120) science fiction (34) series (123) sff (42) shapeshifters (71) supernatural (127) to-read (60) urban fantasy (278) vampire hunter (63) vampires (912) werewolves (189) zombies (101)

English (141)  German (2)  French (2)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (148)
I only decided to listen to this audiobook because
1. A friend has been telling me to read it for over a year now because she LOVES these books and she's read every book that I've shoved into her hands, so naturally I felt the need to read the one book she recommended.
2. It's set in St. Louis.

The audiobook wasn't bad, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have liked Guilty Pleasures as much if I actually read the book. One thing that I'm sure played a role in my feelings for the book was that I'm starting to really get burnt out on vampires. This was my 3rd audiobook about vampires this year and it's all starting to sound the same.

The audio kept me entertained while I worked though. I was interested in the storyline, but also didn't really care what happened either. I wasn't attached to any of the characters and was only listening to hear what happened.

This was one of those rare audiobooks where I found that I could concentrate on something else entirely, but still know what was going on. There was only one moment where I didn't hear what happened, and I didn't care enough the go back to actually listen, and it didn't really matter anyways because I still had an overall understanding of what was happening.

There was also little things that bothered me. The writing seemed too description-y for me, which is why I think I wouldn't have liked this if I actually read the book. I mean, why did I have to know how many fake trees were in Anita's office building? No, I don't care what clothes any of the characters are wearing. Also, there were times when I felt like information got repeated, down to the same phrasing and all. There was one moment when I thought to myself that I just heard that same sentence not 10 minutes ago.

So yeah, overall the audio was very entertaining, but if I start to really think about it, I start to nitpick little things that bothered me. ( )
  taleofnight | Mar 9, 2014 |
I learned from this book and the subsequent books in the series that I read a lot of trash. I kept wanting these to get better, even just a little bit but they didn't. ( )
  Tinamonster | Feb 14, 2014 |
I went into this reading experience with expectations based on how frenzied people get about this book. I didn't find Anita Blake to be a very interesting character and the author's attempts to make her seem sarcastic and snarky fell flat. Gothic vampires in Victorian dress and a child as The Big Evil.

No. Just ... no. Do not see what the hype is all about. ( )
  sweetzombieducky | Feb 14, 2014 |
The cover of my copy has a quote from Jane Ann Krentz calling the book "a heady mix of romance and horror." I'm not sure what Jane was referring to, but there was no romance in this book. It was engaging and well-written, chock full of horrific action scenes, but no romance at all. There was something of a friendship between Anita and Phillip, but that was about it.

Hamilton is a great writer. The prose was tight. The dialogue was believable. And Anita was funny enough to inject some levity into the otherwise gruesome story, but didn't come across as goofy or silly.

I won't be reading the rest of the series, as it's a bit dark for my taste (and I prefer romance to be the central theme of the books I read), but I can see why it's a popular series! ( )
  CyndiTefft | Feb 7, 2014 |
Not bad. I am listening to it on audio. It keeps me interested while i am doing house and yard work. ( )
  Ahnya | Jan 25, 2014 |

Laurell K. Hamiltonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alexis, KimberlyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Gary W. Hamilton, who doesn't like scary things, but who read this book anyway.
To Gary W. Hamilton, my husband, who doesn't like scary things, but who read this book anyway.
Willie McCoy had been a jerk before he died. His being dead hadn't changed that.

wikipedia.com- Anita Blake lives in St. Louis, Missouri, in a world where magic, vampires, werewolves, and the like are "out of the closet" and, in some cases, even legal. Anita is an "animator," with the ability to raise or inter zombies. She uses this ability in employ at "Animators, Incorporated," where she raises the dead for various purposes including murder investigations, will explanations, and other legal services. Anita also works as a "vampire executioner," killing vampires (by court order) and advising the police on supernatural crimes. This first book takes place in July when Anita is 24.

In Guilty Pleasures, Anita is blackmailed by Nikolaos, the vampire master of the city, into investigating a series of vampire murders. During the course of this investigation, Anita begins her relationship with Jean-Claude, another master vampire, and receives two of the four marks necessary to make her Jean-Claude's "human servant." Ultimately, Anita identifies the murderer, but by that point has sufficiently antagonized Nikolaos and her underlings that she is forced to confront them. Ultimately, with help from Jean-Claude and Edward, a human associate who specializes in assassinating supernatural targets, Anita kills Nikolaos and many of her followers, making Jean-Claude master of the city.
My name is Anita Blake. Vampires call me The Executioner. What I call them isn't repeatable.Ever since the Supreme Court granted the undead equal rights, most people think vampires are just ordinary folks with fangs. I know better. I've seen their victims. I carry the scars...

But now a serial killer is murdering vampires -- and the most powerful bloodsucker in town wants me to find the killer...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 051513449X, Mass Market Paperback)

Anita Blake may be small and young, but vampires call her the Executioner. Anita is a necromancer and vampire hunter in a time when vampires are protected by law--as long as they don't get too nasty. Now someone's killing innocent vampires and Anita agrees--with a bit of vampiric arm-twisting--to help figure out who and why.

Trust is a luxury Anita can't afford when her allies aren't human. The city's most powerful vampire, Nikolaos, is 1,000 years old and looks like a 10-year-old girl. The second most powerful vampire, Jean-Claude, is interested in more than just Anita's professional talents, but the feisty necromancer isn't playing along--yet. This popular series has a wild energy and humor, and some very appealing characters--both dead and alive.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:49 -0400)

Vampire hunter Anita Blake must shift her attention from catching vampires to helping them when she is hired to stop a serial killer from murdering any more vampires.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,438,549 books! | Top bar: Always visible