Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton

Guilty Pleasures (original 1993; edition 1995)

by Laurell K. Hamilton

Member:geemont
Title:Guilty Pleasures
Authors:Laurell K. Hamilton
Info:Ace Books (1995), Mass Market Paperback
Tags:horror, novel, Anita Blake, vampires, vampire romance, mass market paperback

Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton (1993)

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (FFortuna)
    A Kiss of Shadows by Laurell K. Hamilton (Maeghan)
    Storm Front by Jim Butcher (FFortuna)
    Blood Price by Tanya Huff (FFortuna)
    Wicked Game by Jeri Smith-Ready (FFortuna)
    Of Saints and Shadows by Christopher Golden (Scottneumann)
    Blood Bound by Patricia Briggs (pollywannabook)
    Shadows in the Darkness by Elaine Cunningham (kiesa)
    Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire (Anonymous user)
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: Both of these stories revolve around strong, independent, witty women battling supernatural creatures.
    Any Given Doomsday by Lori Handeland (SunnySD)
    Anita Blake: Guilty Pleasures 11 by Laurell K. Hamilton (Anonymous user)
    Nightlife by Rob Thurman (Joybee)
    Joybee: Another dark, urban fantasy but with male main character. Just a hint of romance but lots of scary monsters.
    The Tomb by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)
    Conspiracies by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)
    The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers by Angie Fox (asphyxiad0ll)
    Dire Blood by SM Reine (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both feature a strong female protagonist who is trained to kill supernatural creatures and who tries to solve a supernatural mystery. Both are gritty and horrific in their descriptions of events, but both are well written compelling stories that deepen as the books progress… (more)

English (146)  German (2)  French (2)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (153)
Old review 2007: The world is ours today, except vampires, werewolves & such all exist & are legally recognized. Anita Blake is a tough gal who has a talent for raising zombies. She gets sucked in to paranormal politics & murder mysteries. Great fun to read. I love her character.

This started me & my daughter reading 'Paranormal Romance' (PNR) books & this was one of her best. There are 15 20 or so books in the series & I like the first 5 or 10 the best. After that, Hamilton puts in too much weird sex - BDSM & such. Not my cup of tea & there's enough of it that it detracts from the story - a common failing in the genre, I've found. I don't mind some sex & in some cases, it is needed, but it gets somewhat excessive.

Reread for group 14Feb2012: It's been a long time since I read this book & I wondered if I would like it as well, especially given how Hamilton has abused the series in the last 10 books. It stood up well. I still liked it a lot.

Hamilton draws the world quickly & well. It's our except for a few quirks, so that wasn't terribly difficult. She draws the characters well, too. I felt I knew most of them shortly after meeting them, with some obvious exceptions. I'd forgotten that we met Edward so early & the marks the Jean Claude put on her. For some reason I thought both came later in the series.

There was plenty of action &, while Anita is a kick-ass heroine, she's all too human. She's rightly terrified most of the time. I must say that I didn't feel her terror very well at the end, although I did in the earlier parts. Hamilton tells us she is, but there isn't a visceral feel of it. Possibly that's because so much happens so fast.

Anyway, this is an excellent introduction to Anita's world & the next 8 or 9 books are also very good. I highly recommend the earlier parts of the series to anyone. While the books can be read out of order, they're definitely better if read in order. Once you get to feeling that Hamilton's head is disappearing up her vagina, stop reading the series. Trust me, it just gets worse - far worse.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!! ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
Excellent book! The ending left me in tears, and I don't cry often. This is the only book in the series that I enjoyed. The rest were too gory and disturbing. ( )
  AshleyLynnWillis | Aug 1, 2014 |
  AshleyLynnWillis | Aug 1, 2014 |
I haven't re-read this book for several years and I had been itching to get back at it. Per usual, I loved every second of it. Anita Blake is freaking awesome, such a badass character. The intricate plot and amazing array of characters are also some of the things that keep me coming back or more. As always, I love it! ( )
  ecataldi | Jul 30, 2014 |
I read this series a long time ago. I was hooked on book one. Captivated by book two, still interested in book 4 and then it turned in to "romance" novel status. Yes, I continued to read the rest of the series, I'll admit it. But the urban part was gone and it really was just fantasy. Hamilton took a great character with a ton of potential and turned her into a sex goddess with so many lovers, who could keep track. What happened to the short, crazy haired, black nike wearing Anita. In it's place a nymphomaniac arose and I just can't find the interest to check out the most recent novel. ( )
1 vote NicolefromCarmel | May 5, 2014 |

Laurell K. Hamiltonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alexis, KimberlyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Gary W. Hamilton, who doesn't like scary things, but who read this book anyway.
To Gary W. Hamilton, my husband, who doesn't like scary things, but who read this book anyway.
Willie McCoy had been a jerk before he died. His being dead hadn't changed that.

wikipedia.com- Anita Blake lives in St. Louis, Missouri, in a world where magic, vampires, werewolves, and the like are "out of the closet" and, in some cases, even legal. Anita is an "animator," with the ability to raise or inter zombies. She uses this ability in employ at "Animators, Incorporated," where she raises the dead for various purposes including murder investigations, will explanations, and other legal services. Anita also works as a "vampire executioner," killing vampires (by court order) and advising the police on supernatural crimes. This first book takes place in July when Anita is 24.

In Guilty Pleasures, Anita is blackmailed by Nikolaos, the vampire master of the city, into investigating a series of vampire murders. During the course of this investigation, Anita begins her relationship with Jean-Claude, another master vampire, and receives two of the four marks necessary to make her Jean-Claude's "human servant." Ultimately, Anita identifies the murderer, but by that point has sufficiently antagonized Nikolaos and her underlings that she is forced to confront them. Ultimately, with help from Jean-Claude and Edward, a human associate who specializes in assassinating supernatural targets, Anita kills Nikolaos and many of her followers, making Jean-Claude master of the city.
My name is Anita Blake. Vampires call me The Executioner. What I call them isn't repeatable.Ever since the Supreme Court granted the undead equal rights, most people think vampires are just ordinary folks with fangs. I know better. I've seen their victims. I carry the scars...

But now a serial killer is murdering vampires -- and the most powerful bloodsucker in town wants me to find the killer...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 051513449X, Mass Market Paperback)

Anita Blake may be small and young, but vampires call her the Executioner. Anita is a necromancer and vampire hunter in a time when vampires are protected by law--as long as they don't get too nasty. Now someone's killing innocent vampires and Anita agrees--with a bit of vampiric arm-twisting--to help figure out who and why.

Trust is a luxury Anita can't afford when her allies aren't human. The city's most powerful vampire, Nikolaos, is 1,000 years old and looks like a 10-year-old girl. The second most powerful vampire, Jean-Claude, is interested in more than just Anita's professional talents, but the feisty necromancer isn't playing along--yet. This popular series has a wild energy and humor, and some very appealing characters--both dead and alive.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:49 -0400)

Vampire hunter Anita Blake must shift her attention from catching vampires to helping them when she is hired to stop a serial killer from murdering any more vampires.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,725,275 books! | Top bar: Always visible