Judas Unchained by Peter F. Hamilton

Judas Unchained

by Peter F. Hamilton

English (33)  Dutch (1)  All languages (34)
Wow!! This book (and I include the continuation novel Judas Unchained) is the kitchen sink of sci-fi ideas and implementation all incorporated in a highly entertaining story.
This was the first novel I read from Peter F. Hamilton and he gives you plenty of aliens, a new twist on travel between worlds and lots of political intrigue in the Commonwealth saga. His story is so large that it takes some time to introduce all the characters and plotlines going on including lots of back story. I found myself backtracking several times to confirm people and places that had not been discussed recently but I am glad that I stuck with it as the action really gets going about halfway through the first book and does not really stop until the end of the second book.
I can enthusiastically recommend this series if you enjoy any of the sub-genres within science fiction.
  ConalO | Sep 21, 2014 |
Excellent world building. Interesting plot. Dozens of cool characters. A few explosions and the fate of humanity on the line.

In short, everything a sprawling Peter Hamilton book should have.

And this time no deus ex machina to pull humanity's bacon out of the fire. ( )
  dgmillo | Jun 2, 2013 |
I would like another one please! What a good series! ( )
  cynrwiecko | May 3, 2013 |
Reviewed in 2007.

My Reaction: I could hardly contain myself to wait for the ending and find out whodunit! This book - sequel to Pandora's Star - defies genres and contains elements of science fiction, space opera and mystery.

My Synopsis: While more and more people are beginning to believe that the Guardians of Selfhood have been correct all along about the existence of the Starflyer, the Prime launch an all-out attack to take over the Commonwealth and wipe out as many humans as possible, and enslave the remainder. At the same time, agents of the Starflyer continue to do their best to cover up any evidence of their existence and since the sabotage continues to come out at the highest of levels, no one is certain who they can trust anymore. Nigel Sheldon has created a weapon that can cause a sun to go nova instantly - he calls is a quantumbuster - and consideration is given to using it on all star systems where Prime have settled. Is genocide the option humans will take? Or will another route be found? Will the Guardians of Selfhood be able to stop the Starflyer from taking off in its starship? What *is* the Starflyer?

Recommendation: You need to read the book to find out - and you will not be disappointed in the ending - you may be shocked, but you will not be disappointed! ( )
1 vote Katyas | Apr 19, 2013 |
There are many things I feel after finishing reading this book: relief at being done with the 2000 page story, memory of being 1500 pages in (500 into Judas Unchained) and stalling out because the story was following people who just weren't characterized enough to stand out against the rest of the large cast, and satisfaction. The end was good and despite being roughly 300 pages long, I was satisfied with everything that happened. ( )
  Hegemellman | Apr 2, 2013 |
To Sophie Hazel Hamilton
I never knew how much I missed you until you arrived
Right from the start, there was something about the investigation which made Lieutenant Renne Kempasa uneasy.

Race to survive starts

As two enemies strengthen

Across universe.

(legallypuzzled)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345461673, Mass Market Paperback)

Peter F. Hamilton’s superbly imagined, cunningly plotted interstellar adventures are conceived on a staggeringly epic scale and filled with fully realized human and alien characters as complex as they are engaging. No mere world builder, Hamilton creates entire universes–and he does so with irresistible flair and intelligence. His previous novel, the acclaimed Pandora’s Star, introduced the Intersolar Commonwealth, a star-spanning civilization of the twenty-fourth century. Robust, peaceful, and confident, the Commonwealth dispatched a ship to investigate the mystery of a disappearing star, only to inadvertently unleash a predatory alien species that turned on its liberators, striking hard, fast, and utterly without mercy.

The Prime are the Commonwealth’s worst nightmare. Coexistence is impossible with the technologically advanced aliens, who are genetically hardwired to exterminate all other forms of life. Twenty-three planets have already fallen to the invaders, with casualties in the hundreds of millions. And no one knows when or where the genocidal Prime will strike next.

Nor are the Prime the only threat. For more than a hundred years, a shadowy cult, the Guardians of Selfhood, has warned that an alien with mind-control abilities impossible to detect or resist–the Starflyer–has secretly infiltrated the Commonwealth. Branded as terrorists, the Guardians and their leader, Bradley Johansson, have been hunted by relentless investigator Paula Myo. But now evidence suggests that the Guardians were right all along, and that the Starflyer has placed agents in vital posts throughout the Commonwealth–agents who are now sabotaging the war effort. Is the Starflyer an ally of the Prime, or has it orchestrated a fight to the death between the two species for its own advantage?

Caught between two deadly enemies, one a brutal invader striking from without, the other a remorseless cancer killing from within, the fractious Commonwealth must unite as never before.

This will be humanity’s finest hour–or its last gasp.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:33 -0400)

The factions in the embattled Commonwealth must come together to battle not only the predatory alien species, the Prime, but also the Starflyer, a mysterious and undetectable alien with irresistible mind-control abilities.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,781,191 books! | Top bar: Always visible