Heidi by Johanna Spyri

Heidi (1880)

by Johanna Spyri

Series: Heidi (1)

8,199114382 (3.89)261

English (111)  French (1)  Hebrew (1)  All (113)
This is the second time recently that I have gone back to revisit a book from my childhood. I think it might be the last. I find that for the most part my distant memories of these books are more pleasing than the reality of reading them at such an advanced age.

This book was sweet, but very unrealistic and unsatisfying. The child is too good, the characters too underdeveloped and the miracle too preposterous for my adult tastes. I think I will leave all the other childhood books that beacon my return right where they are and spend my time on all those many books I need to read and cannot find the time for.
  phantomswife | Jul 6, 2018 |
I read this when I was a child and reread it recently. I hadn't realized the Christian sensibility; it turns out many of the books I read as a child had this perspective. But Spyri excels at describing the mountain and the natural settings, exquisitely. ( )
  deckla | Jun 21, 2018 |
Heidi moved to her grandfather to live with him on the mountains. She met Peter and became good friends. Her grandfather does not want Heidi to send her to school. After a couple of weeks being there, her aunt takes her to Frankfurt to live with Clara a girl in a wheelchair that needed a companion. Heidi really liked Clara they also became good friends. Heidi learned how to read while with Clara. But Heidi always wanted to go back to the mountains, and became sick for missing it so much. At the end she goes back to the mountains with her grandfather. Later, Clara comes to visit her and end up staying with Heidi. Clara was so happy there, that she end ups walking. ( )
  lg503 | Jun 5, 2018 |
This is a re-read. Heidi was my absolute favourite book as a child and reading it again after over 20 years was so warm and cosy and magical. It's really lovely and made me so nostalgic. Rereading the parts that stuck in my memory for so long was such a surreal and wonderful experience.

It's also probably the best portrayal of homesickness I've ever read.

Ready to go live in a hut in a flower filled mountain meadow now. 100/10 ( )
  basilisky | Jun 3, 2018 |
This wonderful classic is about an orphan girl who is torn between two worlds. One terrible day she is forced to live with her aunt in town while she longs to live with her grandfather in the beautiful Swiss Alps.
  mcmlsbookbutler | May 15, 2018 |

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

A path leads from the cheerful old market town of Mayenfeld through green and wooded fields to the very foot of the mountains whose tall slopes gaze sternly down on the valley.
From the pleasantly situated old town of Maienfeld a footpath leads up through shady green meadows to the foot of the mountains, which, as they gaze down on the valley, present a solemn and majestic picture. [1945 edition/printing]
Please do not combine with any adapted editions. Combine all complete and unabridged editions here; do not separate an edition because of cover or publisher.
The book that is published in English as Heidi was published in Switzerland as two separate books: Heidis Lehr- und Wanderjahre and Heidi kann brauchen, was es gelernt hat. Please do not combine any single German volumes with the English volume.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0517189674, Hardcover)

Johanna Spyri's classic story of a young orphan sent to live with her grumpy grandfather in the Swiss Alps is retold in it's entirety in this beautifully bound hardcover edition. Heidi has charmed and intrigued readers since it's original publication in 1880. Much more than a children's story, the narrative is also a lesson on the precarious nature of freedom, a luxury too often taken for granted. Heidi almost loses her liberty as she is ripped away from the tranquility of the mountains to tend to a sick cousin in the city. Happily, all's well that ends well, and the reader is left with only warm, fuzzy thoughts. Spryi's story will never grow wearisome--and this is a very appealing edition. --Naomi Gesinger

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:05 -0400)

An abridged version of Johanna Spyri's classic story of a Swiss orphan who is heartbroken when she must leave her beloved grandfather and their happy home in the mountains to go to school and to care for an invalid girl in the city.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014132256X, 0141809078

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102731, 1400108837

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,155,149 books! | Top bar: Always visible