The Private Lives of Pippa Lee: A Novel by…

The Private Lives of Pippa Lee: A Novel (edition 2009)

by Rebecca Miller

Member:BiblioLou
Title:The Private Lives of Pippa Lee: A Novel
Authors:Rebecca Miller
Info:Picador (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 256 pages

The Private Lives of Pippa Lee by Rebecca Miller

English (26)  Norwegian (1)  Russian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (29)
What can I say about this book. I had high expectations as I had heard good things about this one. Took it on a long train journey and finished it in a day. The books starts really well, the characters, the different setting and makes you wonder what kind of a past does Pippa really have! I devoured the book, but halfway suddenly it stopped making sense.
Pippa seemed to have led a relatively tame life compared to what I was expecting. The behaviors, the characters, the story, nothing made sense. I quickly flicked through a few pages, hoping it was just that bit. And then it all went down hill!
Because it was a long journey, I actually continued and read the entire book. But i would suggest, once it starts not making sense, just read the last ten pages and you haven't missed anything.
Not a buy, borrow it! ( )
  Ami_Ruparelia | Jun 13, 2014 |
An interesting novel. I watched the movie first, so I was hoping that the book would be better and more in depth than the movie and the book didn't let me down.

The story is four parts. Three of them in third person and one of them in first person from Pippa's point of view. The novel in general is the story of Pippa Lee as a whole person. How her life's experiences made her. It doesn't just portray the events that created her or who she is only in a positive light either. Or for that matter in only a negative light. It's a surprisingly balanced look at a person's life. Usually these sorts of books seem to land firmly on the positive or negative side, while 'Private Lives of Pippa Lee' just seemed to take a page from Bill Belichick's playbook and say her life, "is what it is".

I loved the characterizations of Suky and Des, Pippa's parents and I also appreciated just how consistent the author's characterization of Pippa was. Yes, a lot of things changed about her throughout the book, but the core of the character seemed to be the same. ( )
  DanieXJ | May 10, 2013 |
The Private Lives of Pippa Lee By Rebecca Miller Pippa Lee is a 50 year old woman living with her husband, Herb, in an adult community called Marigold Village. Her husband, the love of her life is 80 years old and they have liquidated their two huge homes and downsized to live a smaller, simpler life for Herbs semi retirement from the publishing world. Pippa feels like they are at deaths door, she begins worrying incessantly and sleep walking. Herb is acting strangely. Her children are worried about them. Entwined with small flashbacks from Pippa's erratic childhood and very wild early adult life, Pippa Lee is a character you have never met. Fun, quick read. When does life really begin and when does it end. Does your career and money really define your place or does age. It is all relative. Highly recommend this read. ( )
  karenlisa | Aug 28, 2011 |
This sounded like a good book and though the reviews were very mixed I went ahead and read it. At the beginning of the book we have Pippa Lee, aged about 50, perfect wife of a much older publisher, perfect mother of grown-up twin children. Then the story goes back to show Pippa's childhood and what she got up to before her marriage. Nothing wrong with that. The idea of showing the flaws of the woman who became the model wife and mother is nothing new but could make a perfectly good story. My problem here was that I just felt there was no substance to the book. Yes, Pippa wasn't perfect to start with. I was expecting that. But I guess I was expecting something else too. ( )
1 vote nocto | Apr 25, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have enjoyed Rebecca Miller's short stories, and so I hoped I would enjoy this, her first novel.

Sadly I didn't.

I couldn't believe in Pippa Lee and so her life story just didn't work for me.

Maybe it would work for someone else, or maybe Rebecca Miller is a better short story writer than novelist.

I don't know, and I would give her the benefit of the doubt if I came across another of her books. Then, maybe, I would know.
1 vote FleurinherWorld | Apr 16, 2011 |

Rebecca Millerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alfsen, MereteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pippa had to admit, she liked the house.

At fifty, Pippa Lee seems just fine. The devoted wife of a brilliant publisher thirty years her senior, the proud mother of successful twins, and a lovely and adored friend and neighbor, she seems to glow with feminine serenity. But when her husband spontaneously decides they should cast off Gramercy Park for Marigold Village retirement home as a “preemptive strike against his decrepitude,” Pippa finds her beatific persona unraveling in alarming ways: the truth is that the gracious woman of the present day has seen more than her fair share of the wild side. By seventeen, Pippa had lived with a Dexedrine-addicted mother, felt the first stirrings of sexuality with a school girlfriend, had an affair with a teacher, and run away from home, set adrift on a course littered with broken hearts—until she seemingly found love and security in a family of her own. And now that established world, too, is in danger.

In Pippa Lee we have an unforgettable heroine, and a quirky and acutely intelligent portrait of the many lives behind a single name. Even after we’ve read it, The Private Lives of Pippa Lee is a story that is still unfurling.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:00 -0400)

At 50, Pippa Lee seems just fine. The devoted wife of a man 30 years her senior, the mother of succesful twins, & an adored friend & neighbour, she seems to glow with feminine serentiy. But when her husband decides they should move into a retirement home, Pippa finds her persona unravelling in alarming ways.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Canongate Books

Two editions of this book were published by Canongate Books.

Editions: 1847672450, 1847672493

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Private Lives Of Pippa Lee by Rebecca Miller was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,648,487 books! | Top bar: Always visible