The Private Lives of Pippa Lee: A Novel by…

The Private Lives of Pippa Lee: A Novel (edition 2009)

by Rebecca Miller

Member:BiblioLou
Title:The Private Lives of Pippa Lee: A Novel
Authors:Rebecca Miller
Info:Picador (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 256 pages

The Private Lives of Pippa Lee by Rebecca Miller

English (29)  Norwegian (1)  Russian (1)  Spanish (1)  English (32)
I should add the edition I read, a Thorndike Large Print, with a cover image that makes it look more like a genre Romance.  It is a messy soap opera, with plenty of cliches and a convenient ending.  And a pretty high yuck factor, with underage sex, drugs, cruelty, s&m....  I'm not glad I read it and don't recommend it.  I wonder how it got on my list... I'll have to check GR and see if someone I know read it, and know to be more careful of their rec's in the future.... ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
My first comment upon finishing this one is I find the choice of title a bit…. Odd. If by “private lives” the author means the growing inner turmoil Pippa experiences, then I still struggle with the “private lives” bit. Maybe it is in reference to the fact that Pippa’s life with Herb, her husband, is a polished veneer and very different from her intense and psychologically damaging childhood years where her Dexedrine-addicted mother’s manic behaviour is a catalyst for Pippa’s own wild and unhinged youth. Either way, the title is a strange one, but maybe fitting for what is a rather odd story. The story dissects Pippa’s life into sections in a manner that one reviewer refers to as being “like opening a series of Russian Dolls, each intricately wrought, self-contained and self-revealing”. Sadly, I have to agree with the reviewer when they go on to say that each section is just as empty as the last. There is a lot of show, but not a whole lot of substance in this one. The supporting characters seem to come across as slightly exaggerated personalities but even then, there is still an overall flatness of tone to the story. Miller may have done this on purpose to enhance the rather dreamy, sedate aspect of Pippa’s personality (making me think of a Stepford Wife on suppressants), and if so, I am not sure that it works in the way Miller intended. Even when there are what are probably supposed to be shocking scenes - thinking of when the younger Pippa is a participant in an amateur S&M movie - the whole reading experience is a bit surreal.

Overall, a different kind of story of self-examination and discovery but one that didn’t really work for me. Maybe it works better as a movie... I don't know. The fact that it was immediately made into a movie shortly after being published tells me that someone somewhere thought it had potential. ( )
  lkernagh | May 5, 2016 |
Well as you can see this book was one of my charity shop finds. Not really sure why I picked it up as the cover did not really draw me in. However I did find it an enjoyable read. I did wonder at the beginning how Pippa had ended up with Herb in the village but then as I read more I realised that subconsciously Pippa was looking for boring and safe after the chaos and adventure of her earlier youth. I also knew that Pippa would make the choice she did at the end of the book. ( )
  WWDG | May 6, 2015 |
What can I say about this book. I had high expectations as I had heard good things about this one. Took it on a long train journey and finished it in a day. The books starts really well, the characters, the different setting and makes you wonder what kind of a past does Pippa really have! I devoured the book, but halfway suddenly it stopped making sense.
Pippa seemed to have led a relatively tame life compared to what I was expecting. The behaviors, the characters, the story, nothing made sense. I quickly flicked through a few pages, hoping it was just that bit. And then it all went down hill!
Because it was a long journey, I actually continued and read the entire book. But i would suggest, once it starts not making sense, just read the last ten pages and you haven't missed anything.
Not a buy, borrow it! ( )
  Ami_Ruparelia | Jun 13, 2014 |
An interesting novel. I watched the movie first, so I was hoping that the book would be better and more in depth than the movie and the book didn't let me down.

The story is four parts. Three of them in third person and one of them in first person from Pippa's point of view. The novel in general is the story of Pippa Lee as a whole person. How her life's experiences made her. It doesn't just portray the events that created her or who she is only in a positive light either. Or for that matter in only a negative light. It's a surprisingly balanced look at a person's life. Usually these sorts of books seem to land firmly on the positive or negative side, while 'Private Lives of Pippa Lee' just seemed to take a page from Bill Belichick's playbook and say her life, "is what it is".

I loved the characterizations of Suky and Des, Pippa's parents and I also appreciated just how consistent the author's characterization of Pippa was. Yes, a lot of things changed about her throughout the book, but the core of the character seemed to be the same. ( )
  DanieXJ | May 10, 2013 |

Rebecca Millerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Alfsen, MereteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pippa had to admit, she liked the house.

At fifty, Pippa Lee seems just fine. The devoted wife of a brilliant publisher thirty years her senior, the proud mother of successful twins, and a lovely and adored friend and neighbor, she seems to glow with feminine serenity. But when her husband spontaneously decides they should cast off Gramercy Park for Marigold Village retirement home as a “preemptive strike against his decrepitude,” Pippa finds her beatific persona unraveling in alarming ways: the truth is that the gracious woman of the present day has seen more than her fair share of the wild side. By seventeen, Pippa had lived with a Dexedrine-addicted mother, felt the first stirrings of sexuality with a school girlfriend, had an affair with a teacher, and run away from home, set adrift on a course littered with broken hearts—until she seemingly found love and security in a family of her own. And now that established world, too, is in danger.

In Pippa Lee we have an unforgettable heroine, and a quirky and acutely intelligent portrait of the many lives behind a single name. Even after we’ve read it, The Private Lives of Pippa Lee is a story that is still unfurling.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:36 -0400)

At 50, Pippa Lee seems just fine. The devoted wife of a man 30 years her senior, the mother of succesful twins, & an adored friend & neighbour, she seems to glow with feminine serentiy. But when her husband decides they should move into a retirement home, Pippa finds her persona unravelling in alarming ways.… (more)

Canongate Books

2 editions of this book were published by Canongate Books.

Editions: 1847672450, 1847672493

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Private Lives Of Pippa Lee by Rebecca Miller was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,622,932 books! | Top bar: Always visible