How to be good by Nick Hornby

How to be good (original 2001; edition 2001)

by Nick Hornby

Member:akfreeborn
Title:How to be good
Authors:Nick Hornby
Info:New York: Riverhead Books, 2001.

How to Be Good by Nick Hornby (2001)

This Book Will Save Your Life by A. M. Homes (ellengryphon)
    ellengryphon: Opposite sides of the same mid-life crisis coin, both books are witty, imaginative while raising those big, capital 'Q' life questions. Ironically Hornby does a great job of giving voice to a bewildered, soul-searching woman while Holmes brilliantly pens her book in the male voice. I highly recommend both -- fun reads with some depth.… (more)

English (88)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  French (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (95)
I did enjoy some parts of this novel but others are quite inscrutable. I would try to read another book of Hornby, maybe High Fidelity or About A Boy, this year and let's see if he will persuade me to add him on my favorite authors. ( )
  fugou | Aug 14, 2017 |
I haven't read all of Nick Hornby's books but of the ones I have read, this is my favourite. It covered original subject matter in a completely believable way and doesn't deserve its overall low Goodreads rating.
  chronic | Mar 23, 2017 |
The story switched off between engaging and tiresome. Overall, it’s wasn’t terrible, but I wouldn’t recommend it.
  csoki637 | Nov 27, 2016 |
Hornby's kindly treatment of our comfortable lives can't easily convey the nihilism of his theme, and the puzzled saintliness of his ethical rebels makes them seem
unconvincing and weird. Similarly, the mild conclusion, that we all muddle through, is no great surprise or insight. Smoothly readable, just a bit flat. ( )
  eglinton | Sep 17, 2016 |
I didn't like this book. ( )
  ChrisWay | Jul 20, 2016 |
Readers of ''High Fidelity'' will remember that Hornby wrapped up that sharp tale of modern love with a disingenuously bright bow of a last scene. Here, the pattern's reversed, and 305 pages of treacle (cut, it must be said, with acid humor) build to a final paragraph bearing more truth about marriage and family than all that preceded it.

"How to Be Good" is partly a wry marital comedy about how a spouse's change of heart invariably destabilizes his longtime partner's own identity, but it's also a thorny parable about the dangers of complacent, conventional self-satisfaction. It's also a very funny and shrewd novel, like Hornby's others, full of acerbic observations about book-buying habits, the virtues of friends who don't really listen to what you say, the tactlessness of children, movies that all seem to "involve spacecraft or insects or noise" and the poisonous bitchiness of those dissatisfied souls who hover in the margins of the creative life.
added by stephmo | editSalon.com, Laura Miller (Jul 25, 2001)

A generation ago, Western society held an informal plebiscite to decide whether the common good would be better served by sane, decent people like Katie or lollapaloozas like GoodNews. The holy fools lost, and the vote wasn't close. It's anyone's guess why Hornby felt it was time for a recount.
added by stephmo | editNew York Times, Joe Queenan (Jul 1, 2001)

You might say that, by the end, the questions this engaging book opens are too big for the lives it describes; but then, as Katie concludes, aren't they always?
added by stephmo | editThe Observer, Tim Adams (May 27, 2001)

Hornby's prose is artful and effortless, his spiky wit as razored as a number-two cut. There are some delightful comic set-ups, and his dialogue sings with empathy for the discordant voices of ordinary, struggling humanity

Nick Hornbyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Viviani, StefanoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zulaika Goicoechea, JesúsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zulaika, JesúsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Gill Hornby
I am in a car park in Leeds when I tell my husband I don't want to be married to him anymore.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0141803169, Audio CD)

According to her own complex moral calculations, Katie Carr has earned her affair. She's a doctor, after all, and doctors are decent people, and on top of that, her husband David is the self-styled Angriest Man in Holloway. When David suddenly becomes good, however - properly, maddeningly, give-away-all-his-money good - Katie's sums no longer add up and she is forced to ask herself some very hard questions...Nick Hornby's brilliant new novel offers a painfully funny account of modern marriage and parenthood and asks that most difficult of questions: what does it mean to be good?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:21 -0400)

Just when the pair is on the verge of divorce, English doctor Katie Carr's cynical husband, David, undergoes a spiritual awakening and invites a faith healer to live with them and their two children.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,213,811 books! | Top bar: Always visible