Make Room! Make Room! by Harry Harrison

Make Room! Make Room! (1966)

by Harry Harrison

English (29)  Italian (1)  All (30)
Good story despite being too preachy. ( )
  ikeman100 | May 6, 2017 |
Not a bad book. Well written...but about as dry as a box of stale crackers. The story was interesting....moral to the story.... LIFE SUCKS deal with it and move on. ( )
  Hymlock | Apr 23, 2017 |
I always seem to expect more from these classics than I get from them. This one is okay... kinda... it is very dry and we don't actually care that the whole world is starving to death (well, all of NYC is anyway)... the characters are all a bit of a jerk and the female character trades on her sex to get by. Oh, sure, this is par for the course, but I always prefer when authors put some work into character development and have women be something other than independently mobile sex toys, or, perhaps, slothy neglectful mothers.

I guess Harrison's underlying premise is that overpopulation would starve out humanity (because "someone"/"the MAN" bans birth control) and, while that might have been an issue in the 60s, nowadays it is more likely that we will starve out humanity by virtue of genetic modifications, disease and toxic water contamination... End result = the same, but process of getting there mildly different. (only mildly though because it is still "someone"/"the MAN" who puts their profits from fracking and oil pipelines ahead of clean water, for example).

Anyway, I am glad I read it and can accept that it is a product of its era, driven by the concerns of that era. I won't be looking for more books by Harrison though. ( )
  crazybatcow | Dec 16, 2016 |
Every once in a while, I realize that a book I've read, over and over, isn't actually mine, or in my library. I found this interesting copy from the movie tie in (Soylent Green, which was, of course, much less than the book, but still not bad), published in 1973.

It contains a brief introduction by Paul Ehrlich, which is an overview of the few years between the original publication (in 1966), and the current (to him) time of the film.

It's an important, and fearsomely prophetic book, and insightful still into what happens when there's too many of us, and not enough of the things that make life tolerable. It goes on the bookshelf right next to Kornbluth's Marching Morons. (Brief synopsis available on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Marching_Morons)

I love the book. Harrison can write; I just wish that the past FIFTY (yeah, that's fifty) years had made some improvements. ( )
  Lyndatrue | Aug 27, 2016 |
An early (1966) meditation on the perils of overpopulation. Very depressing, but still lively and compelling.

For the record, though this book is the basis for the classic 1973 film _Soylent Green_, no Soylent Green actually appears in the original book. ( )
  igor.kh | Jun 14, 2016 |

Harry Harrisonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ehrlich, Paul R.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peroni, PauletteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Solie, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To TODD and MOIRA For your sakes, children, I hope this proves to be a work of fiction.
Prologue: In December 1959 The President of the United States, Dwight D. Eisenhower, said: 'This government ... will not ... as long as I am here, have a positive political doctrine in its program that has to do with this problem of birth control.
Text: New York City -
- stolen from the trusting Indians by the wily Dutch, taken from the law abiding Dutch by the warlike British, then wrested in turn from the peaceful British by the revolutionary colonials.
So mankind gobbled in a century all the world's resources that had taken millions of years to store up, and no one on the top gave a damn or listened to all the voices that were trying to warn them, they just let us overproduce and overconsume until now the oil is gone, the topsoil depleted and washed away, the trees chopped down, the animals extinct, the earth poisoned, and all we have to show for this is seven billion people fighting over the scraps that are left, living a miserable existence--and still breeding without control.

The world is crowded. Far too crowded. Its starving billions live on lentils, soya beans, and —if they’re lucky—the odd starving rat.

In a New York City groaning under the burden of 35 million inhabitants, detective Andy Rusch is engaged in a desperate and lonely hunt for a killer everyone has forgotten. For even in a world such as this, a policeman can find himself utterly alone….

Acclaimed on its original publication in 1966, Make Room! Make Room! was adapted into the movie Soylent Green in 1973, starring Charlton Heston along with Edward G. Robinson in his last role.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:35 -0400)

"... adapted into the movie Soylent Green in 1973 ...""In a future New York City groaning under the burden of 35 million inhabitants, detective Andy Rusch is engaged in a desperate and lonely hunt for a killer everyone has forgotten. For even in a world such as this, a policeman can find himself utterly alone ..."--Back cover.… (more)

1 free

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,464,370 books! | Top bar: Always visible