dismiss

Teach Yourself Electricity and Electronics,…

Teach Yourself Electricity and Electronics, Fourth Edition (Teach… (edition 2006)

by Stan Gibilisco

"A fully updated, easy-to-follow guide to electricity and electronicsTeach Yourself Electricity and Electronics, Fifth Edition helps you grasp the fundamentals of electricity and electronics--including theory--without formal training. Concise content along with a conversational writing tone enhance the pedagogy. Beginners and intermediate students will benefit most, but engineers and technicians will find this work useful as well. Practical, real-world examples are included. The Fifth Edition features improved content, tables, and diagrams, plus fully revised chapter-ending quizzes, tests, and final exam. This unique book can serve as a classroom text, a refresher, and a general reference.New to the Fifth Edition: New material on emerging/advanced electronic and communications systems, including: microcontrollers, audio-frequency electronics, radio-frequency communications, optical communications, laser communications, space communications Updated presentation of integrated-circuit technology, robotics, artificial intelligence, and computer basics All-new quizzes and test questions SI units throughout Helps you to determine current, voltage, and resistance values Provides simple calculations so you can assess your own power and energy consumption Detailed coverage: Direct Current; Background Physics; Electrical Units; Measuring Devices; Direct-current Basics; Direct-current Circuit Analysis; Resistors; Cells and Batteries; Magnetism; Alternating Current; Alternating-current Basics; Inductance; Capacitance; Phase; Inductive Reactance; Capacitive Reactance; Impedance and Admittance; Alternating-current Circuit Analysis; Alternating-current Power and Resonance; Transformers and Impedance Matching; Basic Electronics; Introduction to Semiconductors; How Diodes are Used; Power Supplies; The Bipolar Transistor; The Field Effect Transistor; Amplifiers and Oscillators; Wireless Transmitters and Receivers; Digital Basics; Specialized Devices and Systems; Antennas and Transmission Lines; Integrated Circuits; Electron Tubes; Transducers, Sensors, Location, and Navigation; Acoustics, Audio, and High Fidelity; Wireless Communications Systems; Computers and Microcontrollers; Monitoring, Robotics, and Artificial Intelligence; Schematic Symbols "--Provided by publisher."A thorough update to this now-classic and enormously successful title, this new edition explains all the details of electricity and electronics--including theory--in the most uniquely understandable and effective way"--Provided by publisher.… (more)
Member:beefviper
Title:Teach Yourself Electricity and Electronics, Fourth Edition (Teach Yourself)
Authors:Stan Gibilisco
Info:McGraw-Hill/TAB Electronics (2006), Edition: 4, Paperback, 698 pages

Teach Yourself Electricity and Electronics by Stan Gibilisco

Teach Yourself Electricity and Electronics by Stan Gibilisco is a self-teaching guide that covers a great deal of material. The author suggests taking it in at about a chapter every week or so. A lot of this material is a review to me, so I can go through it slightly faster. However, once it got to things I am not as familiar with I did have to slow down a bit.

First off though, this book does contain stuff that might be dangerous if you mess with it. Electricity is deadly if misused. It only takes about 200 milliamps of current across your heart to kill you, so keep that in mind.

The book starts out with the basics of electricity. What is it? Where does it come from? What are atoms? Other questions of this nature are covered pretty heavily. It builds on itself as most educational books do. All of the drawings and illustrations are quite illuminating and easy to understand. Moreover, the book contains quiz questions at the end of each chapter to test your understanding of the subject covered.

The book gets into the more exciting parts pretty quickly, but it does have to cover meters and other methods to measure electrical and electronic phenomena. The book really takes off when it gets into Ohm’s Law and Circuit Schematics. Ohm’s Law hardly needs any introduction to the initiated. It’s such a fundamental equation to circuit analysis that to do anything without it would be like running a marathon without legs or typing without hands. It looks a bit different to me since it uses an “E” for the voltage rather than a “V” but that isn’t a significant difference. So it comes across as E = I * R. Anything you want to know about the circuit can be figured out from this equation. So, the section on Circuit Analysis uses Ohm’s Law and tells us how to combine resistances. For resistances in series you just add. For resistances in parallel, you add the reciprocals. It is as simple as that. Finally, it adds in Kirchhoff’s Laws into the mix of tools and you can do a lot of things.

Anyway, the book starts out with Direct Current Circuits and Components. It moves on to Alternating Current and Components. Electronics is covered in the third part with Semiconductors and Transformers and stuff. The final part is focused on Specialized Devices and Systems.

So once you get into Alternating Current, it introduces Imaginary Numbers and other mathematical things that didn’t have applications at first. Of course, there is also the application of trigonometry and pi and those things are pretty useful. So there’s a ton of new ideas in AC that isn’t covered in DC. Phases, Root Mean Square, Amplitude, and frequency; all of that is covered. It even talks about something I never knew, namely that DC travels more efficiently at extremely high voltages. I just thought it was favored because it was safer on Edison’s end.

On another note, it also talks about computers and the internet. It isn’t the main focus of the book, so I am fine with it being put into one chapter, but I don’t really know why this stuff was put in at all. I mean, if I wanted to know about that I would have gotten a book focused on that in particular.

Aside from the book being really awesome, the cover just strikes me as unusual. Why is there ice cream on the cover? I don’t really understand that particular detail. It also has the electronic components on it as well, so I suppose that is fine, but I just can’t wrap my head around that. All in all, this book is really good for a refresher or if you are learning on your own. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,863,938 books! | Top bar: Always visible