Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold

Shards of Honor (original 1986; edition 2000)

by Lois McMaster Bujold, Suford Lewis (Afterword), James M. Bryant (Foreword)

2,057773,234 (4.08)1 / 317
Member:EmptyOne
Title:Shards of Honor
Authors:Lois McMaster Bujold
Other authors:Suford Lewis (Afterword), James M. Bryant (Foreword)
Info:The NESFA Press (2000), Edition: First Cloth Edition, Hardcover, 239 pages
Rating:***

Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold (1986)

Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: They're both basically Jane Eyre fan fiction, set in space. Except Shards of Honor is militant and Jenna Starborn romantic.
    The Gate of Ivory by Doris Egan (Aquila)
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (TomWaitsTables)
    Crystal Soldier by Sharon Lee (Nerilka)
    Expendable by James Alan Gardner (PhoenixFalls)
    Jaran by Kate Elliott (Aquila)

English (74)  Italian (2)  Hungarian (1)  All (77)
One of the best love stories I've ever read. ( )
  zyphax | Dec 27, 2016 |
I still have a bit of trouble suspending disbelief about the love affair between the soldier and his prisoner of war. But, knowing what comes after, I still enjoy the story. ( )
  CarolJMO | Dec 12, 2016 |

I first read it in 1996 when I was still quite in love with the SF-genre (I still am, but the parameters now are quite different...).

Just to state that I have a history with SF dating back to the 80's.
Why did I started reading SF? I don’t really know. I was always fascinated by everything science-related, ie, where I could learn about science. Maybe that’s why I went into SF, where the plot is often the driving force, where the intricacies of world building really start to matter and add up.

Let’s not get sidetracked. Shards of Honor is the book worst of the series. Unfortunately it's the first in the series. At the time I remember thinking whether it was worth reading the rest of the series available then. I just have one piece of advice, for what it’s worth. Hang in there. What's comes afterwards (Barrayar, etc) is not exactly high-octane prose, but it's quite above par SF-wise.

My reading it again, was in part provoked by a recent review by Head-in-the-Clouds. I was just plain curious whether the book withstood the usual test of time...

I've started digging up all of my ancient SF paperbacks from over yonder and all of a sudden I had Shards of Honor in my hands... Time to give it another go (I've "found" as well "Attack From Atlantis" by Lester Del Rey... It's up next).

The book starts off well enough, with an adventure storyline featuring two people abandoned on a planet and having to work together to survive. So far so good. Things started going downhill when the sequences between these two characters were indifferently written. There's no real chemistry between them. I got the feeling Bujold was trying to get something out of the book that in the end didn't quite work out as planned.

This is quite a good example of bad old-school SF: stodgy prose, mechanical dialogue and somewhat stilted character reactions. All of this does not add up to a particularly exciting book.

Despite the fact that it's plagued throughout by mediocre sci-fi clichés, boy meets girl on alien planet, trashy romance, etc., it still has a very interesting twist at the end that sets up Barrayar, which is the first really above-average book in the Vorkosigan series.
" ( )
  antao | Dec 10, 2016 |
Humble eBook Bundle 2
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
Very strong although the rape and torture alluded to cloud the picture somewhat. ( )
  Matt_B | Aug 21, 2016 |

Youll, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Pat Wrede
for being a voice
in the wilderness
A sea of mist drifted through the cloud forest, soft, grey, luminescent.
And so he did, as shy as an apprentice saint washing his first leper.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671720872, Paperback)

Cordelia Naismith, Betan Survey Captain, was expecting the unexpected: hexapods, floating creatures, odd parasites... She was not, however, expecting to find hostile humans on an uninhabited planet. And she wasn't really expecting to fall in love with a 40-plus barbarian known to cosmopolitan galactics as the Butcher of Komarr. Will Mother ever understand? And can such an odd beast as love survive an interplanetary war?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:51 -0400)

Cordelia Naismith, Betan Survey Captain, was on a routine mission to study life forms on an uninhabited neutral planet. She was not, however, expecting to find hostile humans on an uninhabited planet. And she wasn't really expecting to fall in love with a 40-plus barbarian known to cosmopolitan galactics as the Butcher of Komarr.… (more)

170 wanted2 pay5 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,232,686 books! | Top bar: Always visible