Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold

Shards of Honor (original 1986; edition 2000)

by Lois McMaster Bujold, Suford Lewis (Afterword), James M. Bryant (Foreword)

1,914693,580 (4.11)1 / 292
Member:EmptyOne
Title:Shards of Honor
Authors:Lois McMaster Bujold
Other authors:Suford Lewis (Afterword), James M. Bryant (Foreword)
Info:The NESFA Press (2000), Edition: First Cloth Edition, Hardcover, 239 pages
Rating:***

Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold (1986)

Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: They're both basically Jane Eyre fan fiction, set in space. Except Shards of Honor is militant and Jenna Starborn romantic.
    The Gate of Ivory by Doris Egan (Aquila)
    Expendable by James Alan Gardner (PhoenixFalls)
    Crystal Soldier by Sharon Lee (Nerilka)
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (TomWaitsTables)
    Jaran by Kate Elliott (Aquila)

English (66)  Italian (2)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (69)
Jan. 2016 reread via audiobook
I am so glad that I decided to revisit this first book in the Vorkosigan series. I had forgotten how much of Miles' 'backstory' is explained in this one (perhaps because I foolishly let 5-6 years go by after reading "Cordelia's Honor" before picking the series back up).

However, coming to it after having read the rest of the series meant that it did lose some of its tension. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jan 29, 2016 |
This is both a debut novel and the first book written in the scifi Vorkosigan series, event though the events of Falling Free happen a couple of centuries earlier. There are no sentient beings from any planet other than earth in this bok.

Cordelia (Wonder if Bujold was remembering Anne of Green Gables when she chose this name?) is a liberal theist from the planet Beta whose weapon is a stunner. While on an exploratory mission, she is taken captive by Aral Vorkosigan, who comes from the sexist, jingoistic planet Barrayar and whose interplanetary reputation is one of a brutal mass murderer. This is a scifi romance with a number of twists and turns which threaten to keep Aral & Cordelia apart, and itntroduces us to the parents of the main hero of the series, Miles Vorkosigan.

Bujold tends to write fairly intelligent scifi and this series is often labelled space opera, which is a new term for me. ( )
  Karin7 | Jan 20, 2016 |
Lois McMaster Bujold is an author I have been meaning to read for the longest time, she has won so many major sf awards it is clear that she must be some kind of major talent in the field. However it took me years and years to get around to picking up one off her books simply because the synopsis of her Vorkosigan series never seem all that interesting to me. Fortunately for me Lois has graciously decided to make most of her Vorkosigan books available for FREE in digital formats on her publisher web site. So I took advantage off her generosity, downloaded the whole package and got on with the first book Cordelia's Honor. This is an omnibus volume consisting of Shards of Honor and Barrayar.

Shards of Honor introduces the characters and the settings and Barrayar is the more intense plot driven conclusion.

Character driven sci-fi is something of a rarity, most sci-fi novels are more concerned with plot and technology, characterization is more often than not of secondary importance. Sci-fi greats such as Asimov and Clarke are not known for characterization, they get away with less emphasis on characterization because of they brilliance of their plots and tech. Lois McMaster Bujold is a different kettle of fish, she puts technology in the background and concentrates on her characters and what they do. This works greatly in her favor as her characters are mostly complex and believable.

Obviously characterization alone is not enough a decent novel needs a decent plot to give the characters something to do. Bar bar has a reasonably complex and driving plot and becomes quite fast paced in the second half of the book. The only drawback for me is that it gets bogged down with romantic scenes from time to time. They are not badly written but the occasional lapses into sentimentality does make me cringe. They don't detract much from the over all quality of the book though and the whole thing concludes beautifully. Fortunately I still have many vote vote books to get through before I have to start passing fort them. Certainly I will be more than happy to start buying Lois non vote vote fantasy novels of which there are many. I feel like I really owe her something for all the freebies she has given to me. ( )
1 vote apatt | Dec 26, 2015 |
This is my third read by this author, and I was pleased with it in entirety: good characters, believable plot, and no pretentiousness...what's not to like? ( )
  fuzzi | Dec 16, 2015 |
Interesting idea about the incubators combined with the idea of abortion, it adds an interesting side to the abortion issue. I liked the mind games of how she was supposed to have forgotten what had happened but she couldn't say the truth. I thought it had an effective but light touch on the women equality issue not to overbearing but makes one think. ( )
  Ghostoverlord | Nov 28, 2015 |

Lois McMaster Bujoldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cherry, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gardner, GroverNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gutierrez, AlanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Pat Wrede
for being a voice
in the wilderness
A sea of mist drifted through the cloud forest, soft, grey, luminescent.
And so he did, as shy as an apprentice saint washing his first leper.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671720872, Paperback)

Cordelia Naismith, Betan Survey Captain, was expecting the unexpected: hexapods, floating creatures, odd parasites... She was not, however, expecting to find hostile humans on an uninhabited planet. And she wasn't really expecting to fall in love with a 40-plus barbarian known to cosmopolitan galactics as the Butcher of Komarr. Will Mother ever understand? And can such an odd beast as love survive an interplanetary war?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:51 -0400)

Cordelia Naismith, Betan Survey Captain, was on a routine mission to study life forms on an uninhabited neutral planet. She was not, however, expecting to find hostile humans on an uninhabited planet. And she wasn't really expecting to fall in love with a 40-plus barbarian known to cosmopolitan galactics as the Butcher of Komarr.… (more)

156 wanted2 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,120,923 books! | Top bar: Always visible