Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold

Shards of Honor (original 1986; edition 2000)

by Lois McMaster Bujold, Suford Lewis (Afterword), James M. Bryant (Foreword)

1,856653,724 (4.12)1 / 281
Title:Shards of Honor
Authors:Lois McMaster Bujold
Other authors:Suford Lewis (Afterword), James M. Bryant (Foreword)
Info:The NESFA Press (2000), Edition: First Cloth Edition, Hardcover, 239 pages

Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold (1986)

Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: They're both basically Jane Eyre fan fiction, set in space. Except Shards of Honor is militant and Jenna Starborn romantic.
    The Gate of Ivory by Doris Egan (Aquila)
    Expendable by James Alan Gardner (PhoenixFalls)
    Crystal Soldier by Sharon Lee (Nerilka)
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (TomWaitsTables)
    Jaran by Kate Elliott (Aquila)

English (62)  Italian (2)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (65)
Interesting idea about the incubators combined with the idea of abortion, it adds an interesting side to the abortion issue. I liked the mind games of how she was supposed to have forgotten what had happened but she couldn't say the truth. I thought it had an effective but light touch on the women equality issue not to overbearing but makes one think. ( )
  Ghostoverlord | Nov 28, 2015 |
I liked this a lot, and since the general consensus seems to be that the series gets better from here, I'm looking forward to reading the next few books. I'm not usually fond of books that are heavy on politics or warfare, but this worked for me because it was so character driven. With a few exceptions, the characters are neither all good nor all bad. I did find it difficult to keep track of the names of all the characters, especially all those Vor____ names. I found the interactions between the characters intriguing, and often wondered where a situation was going to go. There was one scene which set off my violence alarm, but it resolved quickly, and nothing else in the book exceeded my ick factor. While I didn't enjoy the section involving the psychologist and Cordelia, I thought it did an excellent job of revealing the truth behind the Betan utopia. It was a hard book to put down at bedtime. ( )
  SylviaC | Nov 25, 2015 |
My partner has been telling me to read Bujold for years, and I can see why. Cordelia and Vorkosigan are interesting characters and the prose, while not elegant, is very easy and fun to read. I was surprised my partner suggested a novel with such a strong love story, but it is unconventional in many ways and balanced by the spy-like intrigue.
  Marjorie_Jensen | Nov 12, 2015 |
I liked Shards of Honour more than I did the first time I read it, even though I'm sticking with my original three star rating. It's fun, and this time I did get more wrapped up in it, in following the politics and in following Cordelia and Aral as they get to know each other. I still don't quite get the enthusiasm over the whole series, but I've heard at least a dozen times that I'll get along better with the Miles books.

Still, I got along pretty well with this one. The concept of honour is a thing that will usually get to me with a character -- honour and loyalty in general. Juubei in GetBackers; Simon Tam in Firefly; Josceline Verreuil in Kushiel's Dart; Steve Rogers in Captain America -- and if they can be tortured, make mistakes, and still be people you root for, that's all the better. I know a lot of people love the mischievious tricksters with a heart that might just be gold after all, but I prefer the straight-forward ones, like Steve Rogers. And Aral is definitely one of those. Realising that helped me warm to him, even when he starts off not terribly sympathetic -- and you realise that he did kind of have a point, too: he suggests to Cordelia that they should end the suffering of a man who will never walk or possibly even think coherently ever again. Now, it sounds barbaric to her in the moment, but it occurs to her later (and to me almost immediately), that maybe the guy wouldn't have wanted to stay alive in the dependent existence that was his only chance. Certainly, I wouldn't -- and I've taken some pains to make sure my loved ones know it.

So I think the characterisation was more subtle here than I remembered, and I have grown sympathetic to Aral -- and to Cordelia, and what she goes through to get back to him. I remember liking Barrayar much less than this, but we'll see. And even if I still don't like it, I'll go on to read the Miles books, because I trust my partner's judgement there! ( )
1 vote shanaqui | Nov 23, 2014 |
I think this is one of the best books published in the 1980s and definitely stands the test of time. ( )
  AmySterlingCasil | Jun 2, 2014 |

Lois McMaster Bujoldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cherry, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gardner, GroverNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gutierrez, AlanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Pat Wrede
for being a voice
in the wilderness
A sea of mist drifted through the cloud forest, soft, grey, luminescent.
And so he did, as shy as an apprentice saint washing his first leper.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671720872, Paperback)

Cordelia Naismith, Betan Survey Captain, was expecting the unexpected: hexapods, floating creatures, odd parasites... She was not, however, expecting to find hostile humans on an uninhabited planet. And she wasn't really expecting to fall in love with a 40-plus barbarian known to cosmopolitan galactics as the Butcher of Komarr. Will Mother ever understand? And can such an odd beast as love survive an interplanetary war?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:51 -0400)

Cordelia Naismith, Betan Survey Captain, was on a routine mission to study life forms on an uninhabited neutral planet. She was not, however, expecting to find hostile humans on an uninhabited planet. And she wasn't really expecting to fall in love with a 40-plus barbarian known to cosmopolitan galactics as the Butcher of Komarr.… (more)

69 wanted2 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,920,405 books! | Top bar: Always visible