Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold

Shards of Honor (original 1986; edition 2000)

by Lois McMaster Bujold, Suford Lewis (Afterword), James M. Bryant (Foreword)

1,664None4,308 (4.16)1 / 207
Member:EmptyOne
Title:Shards of Honor
Authors:Lois McMaster Bujold
Other authors:Suford Lewis (Afterword), James M. Bryant (Foreword)
Info:The NESFA Press (2000), Edition: First Cloth Edition, Hardcover, 239 pages
Rating:***

Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold (1986)

adventure (10) audiobook (9) Barrayar (12) bujold (21) Cordelia Naismith (10) ebook (51) fantasy (20) fiction (143) Kindle (21) Miles Vorkosigan (17) military (28) military sf (22) novel (17) own (13) paperback (13) politics (9) read (37) romance (43) science fiction (424) series (30) sf (114) sff (37) signed (9) space opera (75) speculative fiction (11) to-read (36) Vorkosigan (106) Vorkosigan Saga (17) vorkosiverse (12) war (12)
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (one-horse.library)
    one-horse.library: They're both basically Jane Eyre fan fiction, set in space. Except Shards of Honor is militant and Jenna Starborn romantic.
    The Gate of Ivory by Doris Egan (Aquila)
    Expendable by James Alan Gardner (PhoenixFalls)
    Crystal Soldier by Sharon Lee (Nerilka)
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (one-horse.library)
    Jaran by Kate Elliot (Aquila)

English (59)  Italian (2)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (62)
Cordelia Naismith is a terrific heroine and this is a wonderful love story. I listened to Shards of Honor in audio format, read by Grover Gardner. At first I thought the choice of a male narrator was strange until I remembered that most of the VORKOSIGAN books are written from Miles’ perspective. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Better than I expected...curious enough to read the next in the series (as recommended by the author as these don't have numbers and weren't written chronologically). Also, HumbleBundle? Pretty cool. ( )
  reluctantacademic | Mar 29, 2014 |
This was a very enjoyable space opera type science fiction story. I'd like to call it a planetary romance but it is a little bigger than that. I enjoyed the first third to half of this story the most. After that it seemed to get a little disjointed and felt like stuff had been cut out. Which apparently it had. The narrative seemed to lose some of the tightness as well. Still very readable but there are jumps here and there. I'd rate this book higher except for the weak parts.

So I'm complaining about a story that I enjoyed very much and that gave birth to a long running series. Hmmm. In any event, this meeting of Cordelia Naismith and Aral Vorkosigan was a very good tale. I'll be reading more. ( )
  RBeffa | Feb 19, 2014 |
This was for the year long Group read of the Vorkosigan Saga in the Category Challenge (http://www.librarything.com/topic/160914). I have read 3 books in the series earlier, not in the chronological order though. This group read will be a time to make amends and with this hop I started with the first book in the series, one featuring Cordelia, mother of Miles, the protagonist in the latter parts of the series. We also meet another strong and fascinating character, Aral Vorkosigan, Miles's father, but it would be fair to say the book was more about Cordelia.

It would be difficult to define her characteristics, measure her with parameters, the character is so multi-faceted. She is a military woman, but the author has steered away from the temptation of making her a Wonder Woman. She is strong willed, smart and well, as others in the book would say, honourable. And yeah, she is not a love-sick teenager, but a mature middle aged woman, so is Aral (except the woman part!). She is also the one who with her smartness, resourcefulness and no small measure of luck, turns around difficult situations on their head, and supports Aral only like she could. I quite liked Aral Vorkosigan too, in all his military might, and yeah, he actually comes across more honourable than Cordelia even!

There is a war in the background and some really unpleasant incidents, but they all seem to be the setup for the Cordelia - Aral story. The author must again be applauded for exercising her good sense and not overdoing it with the romance part.

Needless to say, I will be starting with the next instalment, Barrayar, within a week. ( )
  PiyushC | Feb 16, 2014 |

What I loved about this book:

a) Cordelia and Aral. Thank you Lois for writing a love story that has mature rational individuals who have complex feelings outside of lust and insta-love. Cordelia is a delight to read; a strong, rational woman who isn't blind to her own faults or her partner's. I loved that she weighed more than just love when she considered Aral - her family, their sort-of-warring-countries, the uncertain political aura of Barrayan. I am actually searching for words to express just how much I like Cordelia, really.

b) The actual story arc(sounds stupid, I know). I am a stranger to this series - I really had no idea that Miles is the actual protagonist of the series until I read the goodreads reviews - so I feel a vaguely ominous feeling that the bloody events of this book are just the predecessor to something that will put all of this to shame. A lot of things happen - good, bad, ugly, senseless. But that didn't stop me from really admiring Lois' vivid imagination of warring nations, blood thirsty individuals and political hijinks. A lot of disturbing things happen throughout the book but I really appreciate the author's matter of fact handling. She doesn't coddle us. Neither does she dwell on the disturbing events. They get their time and space and life just continues to move on.

I also admired the wily old Emperor. What he did takes a kind of strength that is almost unheard of killing off his son and his douche friends so that Barrayan would be a better place. Also strongarming Vorkosigan after the events at Escobar isn't exactly easy. Even if Vorkosigan was biting at the bit.

Looking forward to Barrayan.

And might I say, I head-over-heels love the idea of vampire balloons. :D ( )
  ashpapoye | Jan 24, 2014 |

Lois McMaster Bujoldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cherry, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gardner, GroverNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gutierrez, AlanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Pat Wrede
for being a voice
in the wilderness
A sea of mist drifted through the cloud forest, soft, grey, luminescent.
And so he did, as shy as an apprentice saint washing his first leper.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671720872, Paperback)

Cordelia Naismith, Betan Survey Captain, was expecting the unexpected: hexapods, floating creatures, odd parasites... She was not, however, expecting to find hostile humans on an uninhabited planet. And she wasn't really expecting to fall in love with a 40-plus barbarian known to cosmopolitan galactics as the Butcher of Komarr. Will Mother ever understand? And can such an odd beast as love survive an interplanetary war?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:20 -0400)

Cordelia Naismith, Betan Survey Captain, was on a routine mission to study life forms on an uninhabited neutral planet. She was not, however, expecting to find hostile humans on an uninhabited planet. And she wasn't really expecting to fall in love with a 40-plus barbarian known to cosmopolitan galactics as the Butcher of Komarr.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,464,114 books! | Top bar: Always visible