Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold

Shards of Honor (original 1986; edition 2000)

by Lois McMaster Bujold, Suford Lewis (Afterword), James M. Bryant (Foreword)

1,735644,081 (4.14)1 / 239
Member:EmptyOne
Title:Shards of Honor
Authors:Lois McMaster Bujold
Other authors:Suford Lewis (Afterword), James M. Bryant (Foreword)
Info:The NESFA Press (2000), Edition: First Cloth Edition, Hardcover, 239 pages
Rating:***

Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold (1986)

Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (one-horse.library)
    one-horse.library: They're both basically Jane Eyre fan fiction, set in space. Except Shards of Honor is militant and Jenna Starborn romantic.
    The Gate of Ivory by Doris Egan (Aquila)
    Expendable by James Alan Gardner (PhoenixFalls)
    Crystal Soldier by Sharon Lee (Nerilka)
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (one-horse.library)
    Jaran by Kate Elliot (Aquila)

English (61)  Italian (2)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (64)
I think this is one of the best books published in the 1980s and definitely stands the test of time. ( )
  AmySterlingCasil | Jun 2, 2014 |
This book is combined with the story Barrayar to make the omnibus Cordelia's Honour.

This seems to be the first novel written in the Miles Vorkosigan saga (though in a slightly darker tone than the Miles books), and is the story of how his parents, on opposite sides in an interplanetary war, first met. The majority of the Vorkosigan saga is made up of stories about Miles, but these two books focus on his parents.

Commander Cordelia Naismith, Astrocartographer for the Betan Astronomical Survey, is leading an expeditionary team of scientists, surveying a newly discovered planet, when they are attacked by a Barrayaran military patrol. Most of her team manage to escape, but she and her botanist Dubauer find themselves captured by Aral Vorkosigan, the infamous Butcher of Komarr. Although it would seem that, especially given Aral Vorkosigan's terrifying reputation, they should be enemies, they find that they are attracted to each other's sense of honour, and that they do not always share the same point of view as their respective home planets' governments.

Shortly after she finally returns home to Beta Colony, her planet goes to war and Cordelia, now part of the Betan Expeditionary Force, finds herself once again ending up in enemy hands.

Red haired Cordelia (Anne of Green Gables, anyone?), though not an Amazon, is a very capable, resourceful woman and a strong, and honourable, heroine. Even though she works for Survey, rather than a military unit, she can think on her feet in combat situations. As a slightly older (33) heroine, she is well matched with a slightly older (44) hero - sometimes cast as an anti-hero. Vorkosigan is also honourable, although conflicted by duty.

This is probably my favourite book of the saga. This virgin planet has a lush landscape which Bujold describes beautifully. And the gentle romance in the background, between two 'mature' adults doesn't hurt, either. It's amusing to remember that I was younger than Cordelia (who is 33 years; Vorkosigan is 44) when I first read Shards of Honour, and - especially now I'm older - she doesn't seem preposterously old to be falling in love.

I could fall in love with Vorkosigan myself, the way his stern soldierly demeanour is lightened by sudden boyish grins. And the fact that he is very much a man of honour, holding tightly to it in spite of the dishonourable situations he is forced into by men in power.

I wish there were more stories in the Vorkosigan canon which focused on Cordelia and Aral. I rather feel that in the militaristic patriarchal society that Barrayar is, her talents are somewhat wasted.

This story is full of action, space battles, interplanetary politics, intraplanetary politics, honour, humanity - not forgetting romance. Very nicely written. I wouldn't mind seeing more Cordelia / Aral Vorkosigan stories.

I like the way that, throughout Shards of Honour, it's the damsel that inadvertently rescues the knight in military uniform. :0)

5***** ( )
  humouress | Apr 16, 2014 |
Cordelia Naismith is a terrific heroine and this is a wonderful love story. I listened to Shards of Honor in audio format, read by Grover Gardner. At first I thought the choice of a male narrator was strange until I remembered that most of the VORKOSIGAN books are written from Miles’ perspective. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Better than I expected...curious enough to read the next in the series (as recommended by the author as these don't have numbers and weren't written chronologically). Also, HumbleBundle? Pretty cool. ( )
  reluctantacademic | Mar 29, 2014 |
This was a very enjoyable space opera type science fiction story. I'd like to call it a planetary romance but it is a little bigger than that. I enjoyed the first third to half of this story the most. After that it seemed to get a little disjointed and felt like stuff had been cut out. Which apparently it had. The narrative seemed to lose some of the tightness as well. Still very readable but there are jumps here and there. I'd rate this book higher except for the weak parts.

So I'm complaining about a story that I enjoyed very much and that gave birth to a long running series. Hmmm. In any event, this meeting of Cordelia Naismith and Aral Vorkosigan was a very good tale. I'll be reading more. ( )
  RBeffa | Feb 19, 2014 |

Lois McMaster Bujoldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cherry, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gardner, GroverNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gutierrez, AlanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Pat Wrede
for being a voice
in the wilderness
A sea of mist drifted through the cloud forest, soft, grey, luminescent.
And so he did, as shy as an apprentice saint washing his first leper.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671720872, Paperback)

Cordelia Naismith, Betan Survey Captain, was expecting the unexpected: hexapods, floating creatures, odd parasites... She was not, however, expecting to find hostile humans on an uninhabited planet. And she wasn't really expecting to fall in love with a 40-plus barbarian known to cosmopolitan galactics as the Butcher of Komarr. Will Mother ever understand? And can such an odd beast as love survive an interplanetary war?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:20 -0400)

Cordelia Naismith, Betan Survey Captain, was on a routine mission to study life forms on an uninhabited neutral planet. She was not, however, expecting to find hostile humans on an uninhabited planet. And she wasn't really expecting to fall in love with a 40-plus barbarian known to cosmopolitan galactics as the Butcher of Komarr.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,719,993 books! | Top bar: Always visible