Mindstar Rising by Peter F. Hamilton

Mindstar Rising (1993)

by Peter F. Hamilton

Series: Greg Mandel (1)

An enjoyable science fiction mystery. I prefer Hamilton's later work though this is a solid first novel. ( )
  kale.dyer | Dec 18, 2016 |
I had heard of Peter Hamilton and associated his books with huge tomes of Hard Science [fiction]. And some of the people who talked about him weren't the kind of people I really wanted to get book suggestions from, so I had put off reading him.

I am glad I chose this trilogy to start. I was really impressed with this book.

It was a good scifi action book that didn't overwhelm me. Greg Mandell came across as the worn out ex-specialist that he is. Him marrying, at the end, a busty redhead with a muscular body, who is almost half his age didn't hurt anything either.

Julia, billionaire heiress, was a good counter to Mandell's world weariness. Her youthful energy, drive and desire to overcome everything helped lighten the overall tone of the plot.

The overall plot, of the giving of a tech company over to Julia, while other consortia do their best to make her fail, and Mandell being all psychic [he has a gland that helps him to read other's surface thoughts] was thoroughly enjoyable.

While I gave this the cyberpunk tag, and I do think it deserves it, it is more along the lines of subdued England First cyberpunk. England is taking over the tech world, not the japanese. But all the other marks of CP are there: inflation, money, drugs, guns, computer hookups of all kinds; they just simply aren't as IN YOUR FACE as say [b:Snow Crash|830|Snow Crash|Neal Stephenson|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1320544000s/830.jpg|493634]. For which I am thankful. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Gets bogged down in the final inevitable showdown and like all Hamilton books the ending is weak, but overall a well told story where miraculously the age of the tech doesn't get in the way. ( )
  bhutton | Jun 9, 2016 |
Who would have thought that Hamilton could write short (for his standard anyway) self-contained novels. It came almost as a shock when the book did not finish with a cliffhanger to allow the second one to be just a continuation.

Meet Greg Mandel - a veteran from a war in our near future who had received experimental treatment that turned him into a psychic - human lie detector and so on and not someone that can see the future that is. Hamilton's novel start very heavy on the technical jargon (some of it a bit gritting 20 years later because things had evolved enough for some of those things to have different names) which will turn off a lot of readers. But once you get through those first chapters (and unlike some later works, a chapter is not 100 pages or so), once you grasp this future (complete with Communists, global warming on a huge scale and financial collapse), the story becomes very easily readable and enjoyable.

When we first meet Greg he is on a kill mission (it will take most of the novel to understand why he was killing) but it turns out that he had started to use his unusual condition in the only way he really could - becoming a private investigator. And when a weird theft is found in one of the biggest companies, he is hired to investigate. Of course this turns to be the tip of the iceberg and more thefts and deaths start resurfacing, with Greg in the middle of the action. Add another psychic friend (who can see the future in a way) and you would think that there is no way things to go wrong. And you will be wrong - because the glands that allow these powers are not infallible and have protections that shuts them down when overused and of course that happens just in the worst possible moment. Figuring out who was behind all the mayhem was logical once it was pointed out - I did not expect to see the story going this way even if there was no other logical way (except going really deep internally...).

The novel is a mix of very technical hard SF novel and a soft SF novel (with a detective story thrown in)- which is kind of rare in the genre. You can see the style of Hamilton - not as polished as later but it is there and I am happy that I finally got around to this novel. And I am definitely checking the next 2 in the trilogy. ( )
2 vote AnnieMod | Apr 11, 2015 |
The key to my enjoying this PFH novel was to disassociate everything I’d previously read by the author in the Commonwealth Saga series. Here there are no alien threats or exotic stellar locations to explore. This story takes place in a far less optimistic, multi-point dystopian future where twin environmental and political disasters have stratified the class differences in society. The gritty tone is exemplified in the protagonist, psychic freelance mercenary Greg Mandel, a two-dimensional tough guy who uses the phrase “no messing” to end far too many sentences. The strength of this story is in the unraveling of a corporate mystery with turns and twists which explore most corners of Hamilton’s dark future. It’s a bit like watching a police procedural with psychic cops and some minor near-future SF tech peppered in. It compares quite similarly to Hamilton’s other, separate, story- Great Northern Road- which features a similar investigation but has the added element of off world alien settings and more examples of action scenes. Much of the crime and conspiracy here are strictly white-collar, and it was hard to identify with the Mandel character or even sympathize with him during the only truly high-stakes, dangerous moments he endures in the climactic ten percent of the story, no messing. ( )
  SciFi-Kindle | Feb 17, 2014 |

Hamilton, Peter F.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stimpson, TomCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Meteorites fell through the night sky like a gentle sleet of icefire, their sharp scintillations slashing ebony overload streaks across the image Greg Mandel's photon amp was feeding into his optic nerves.

Greg Mandel, late of the Mindstar Battalion, has been many things in his life. Commando. Freedom fighter. Assassin. Now he's a freelance operative with a very special edge: telepathy.

In the high-tech, hard-edged world of computer crime, zero-gravity smuggling, and artificial intelligence, Greg Mandel is the man to call when things get rough. But when an elusive saboteur plagues a powerful organization known as Event Horizon, Mandel must cut his way through a maze of corporate intrigue and startling new scientific discoveries.

And nothing less than the future is at stake.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:29 -0400)

As the cartels battle for control of a revolutionary new power source, and corporate greed outstrips national security, tension is mounting to boiling point. Greg Mandel is about to face the ultimate test.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,320,156 books! | Top bar: Always visible