Love That Dog by Sharon Creech

Love That Dog (2001)

by Sharon Creech

English (298)  Dutch (1)  All (299)
This book is written in a series of poems. This book would be good for intermediate studies of poetry. ( )
  FallonJohnston | Apr 24, 2018 |
I really liked this poetry book because it is in the style of a diary. The more the writer goes on, the more confidence is built. It is a very cute book filled with poetry and the cover is intriguing with this yellow color and dog. Good way to create a story along with using poetry. Giving students examples of what poetry can look like. ( )
  Nicolefern | Apr 23, 2018 |
This poetry book is about a dog named Jack who tries to write poetry but can not seem to get the hang of it. Jack feels as if he has nothing to write about, but with encouragement from his teacher, Ms. Strethberry, he realizes that he does have quite a bit to say. I remember reading this book when I was younger and it was very easy to read. I recommend this book to beginning poetry readers. This book is suitable for third through fifth grade and can be used to teach different types of poetry and personification. ( )
  LauraRothfuss | Apr 23, 2018 |
One of the criteria for book battle is a poetry book. I am not a fan of poetry AT ALL so I decided to go with this one. I really love Jack! He so cute and shy but creative. I love how he really grows to love poetry and becomes more confident writing it as the story goes along. Fun and cute! ( )
  KeriLynneD | Apr 16, 2018 |
This is book is a Poetry book because of it use poetry to talk about dog. This kind of way to showing to students may attack students attention.

This book is suitable for Grade 4 students. ( )
  WuKundi | Apr 2, 2018 |
For
Sandy and Jack Floyd
Mark and Karin Leuthy Benjamin
Louise England
Rob Leuthy

all of whom
love love love their dogs

With special thanks to
Walter Dean Myers

and to all the poets
and Mr.-and-Ms. Stretchberrys
who inspire students every day
Room 105—Miss Stretchberry

September 13

I don't want to
because boys
don't write poetry.

Girls do.
Sky was just there in the road lying on his side with his legs bent funny and his side heaving

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064409597, Paperback)

Newbery Medal winner Sharon Creech's Love That Dog, a funny, sweet, original short novel written in free verse, introduces us to an endearingly unassuming, straight-talking boy who discovers the powers and pleasures of poetry. Against his will. After all, "boys don't write poetry. Girls do." What does he say of the famous poem "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening"? "I think Mr. Robert Frost / has a little / too / much / time / on his / hands." As his teacher, Ms. Stretchberry, introduces the canon to the class, however, he starts to see the light. Poetry is not so bad, it's not just for girls, and it's not even that hard to write. Take William Carlos Williams, for example: "If that is a poem / about the red wheelbarrow / and the white chickens / then any words / can be a poem. / You've just got to / make / short / lines." He becomes more and more discerning as the days go by, and readers' spirits will rise with Jack's as he begins to find his own voice through his own poetry and through that of others. His favorite poem of all is a short, rhythmic one by Walter Dean Myers called "Love That Boy" (included at the end of the book with all the rest of Ms. Stretchberry's assignments). The words completely captivate him, reminding him of the loving way his dad calls him in the morning and of the way he used to call his yellow dog, Sky. Jack's reverence for the poem ultimately leads to meeting the poet himself, an experience he will never forget.

This winning, accessible book is truly remarkable in that Creech lets us witness firsthand how words can open doors to the soul. And this from a boy who asks, "Why doesn't the person just / keep going if he's got / so many miles to go / before he sleeps?" (Ages 8 to 12) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:28 -0400)

A young student, who comes to love poetry through a personal understanding of what different famous poems mean to him, surprises himself by writing his own inspired poem.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,326,089 books! | Top bar: Always visible