Love That Dog by Sharon Creech

Love That Dog (2001)

by Sharon Creech

English (258)  Dutch (1)  All languages (259)
Love That Dog is a little gem of a book, and certainly lovely to read. The narrator, Jack, is a young boy who writes in a journal to his English teacher Miss Stretchberry, presumably for a class assignment. Initially, he's stubborn and indignant, claiming that "boys don't write poetry. Girls do." However, he eventually opens up and tries his hand at writing poetry, sharing his stories about a yellow dog named Sky. The writing style is youthful and expressive, portraying the steadfast development of a young writer. Jack stumbles his way through learning about words, poems, and self-expression, while telling this story in an innocent, endearing manner. He's the kind of character that makes readers want to reach into the pages to give him a warm hug. Short and sweet, this book is fit for anyone who loves a good, heartwarming tale. ( )
  kdavis17 | Nov 5, 2015 |
As Jack tells us in his writing journal on the first day of his class' poetry unit: "I don't want to/because boys/don't write poetry./Girls do./I tried./Can't do it./Brain's empty." But as hard as he resists the idea, poetry begins to seep into that empty brain. Sharon Creech has managed to portray a teacher's challenge in teaching poetry to a young boy by telling the story of his struggles with the genre through the death of his dog and his admiration of a fellow writer. Written with heart, Creech inspires through Jack that you can find your voice, you can unleash new creative ideas and skills that are buried deep inside of you and best of all you can have great fun doing it. ( )
  JenniferNavarrete | Nov 3, 2015 |
This was a cute, short book. It's written in verse, but since my library only had the audio of the book, I didn't have the text to follow along with to get the full feel of the lines and poetic form of the book. Despite that, and with the help of the narrator, I'm confident that I'd have enjoyed reading the text just as much as listening to it read.

I think what I enjoyed most was the narrator's innocence. He's a school aged boy communicating with his teacher. The innocence and his young shows best when talking to his teacher about poet Walter Dean Myers and in the letter he wrote the poet. It really feels like a child wrote it, and adds some more cuteness to the book.

Another great thing was how, even at my age, I can identify with the narrator. He shows the same insecurities about writing poetry and sharing it as I know many writers do. Also, we get to see his introduction to poetry, interpretations to some classic poems, and to see him go on to write his own poems.

I think it'd be a great book for a child and a good way to get him or her to look at some poetry. But it was also great for me, in my mid-twenties. ( )
  Robert.Zimmermann | Oct 15, 2015 |
"Love That Dog" is a simultaneously heartwarming and heart wrenching story of a boy named Jack who discovers his talent and passion for writing poetry in an unexpected way. Jack expresses his confusion over the meaning of poetry to his teacher, but slowly becomes inspired to write his own poetry. Jack grows fond of the poem "Love That Boy" by Walter Dean Myers which inspires him to write about his beloved dog Sky.

This book is perfect for many students who are hesitant about reading or writing poetry. Many of the struggles Jack goes through with understanding the meaning and purpose of poetry is relatable for many fifth or sixth graders reading this book. An activity that students could do would be to find a poem that they enjoy and create their own poem inspired from it, similar to what Jack did with Myers's "Love That Boy." Poems such as "The Red Wheelbarrow" by Williams Carlos Williams and "Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening" by Robert Frost are explored by Jack in the book. This is the perfect opportunity for students to read these poems and discuss their own interpretations and have literature circles on the poems within this book.

Creech, Sharon. (2001). Love that dog. New York: HarperCollins. ( )
  kerrydaimon | Oct 5, 2015 |
A boy and his dog. Sad story of friendship. Interesting Perspective.
  amkestek | Aug 13, 2015 |
Sandy and Jack Floyd
Mark and Karin Leuthy Benjamin
Louise England
Rob Leuthy

all of whom
love love love their dogs

With special thanks to
Walter Dean Myers

and to all the poets
and Mr.-and-Ms. Stretchberrys
who inspire students every day
Room 105 - Miss Stretchberry - September 13 / I don't want to / because boys / don't write poetry. / Girls do.
Sky was just there in the road lying on his side with his legs bent funny and his side heaving

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064409597, Paperback)

Newbery Medal winner Sharon Creech's Love That Dog, a funny, sweet, original short novel written in free verse, introduces us to an endearingly unassuming, straight-talking boy who discovers the powers and pleasures of poetry. Against his will. After all, "boys don't write poetry. Girls do." What does he say of the famous poem "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening"? "I think Mr. Robert Frost / has a little / too / much / time / on his / hands." As his teacher, Ms. Stretchberry, introduces the canon to the class, however, he starts to see the light. Poetry is not so bad, it's not just for girls, and it's not even that hard to write. Take William Carlos Williams, for example: "If that is a poem / about the red wheelbarrow / and the white chickens / then any words / can be a poem. / You've just got to / make / short / lines." He becomes more and more discerning as the days go by, and readers' spirits will rise with Jack's as he begins to find his own voice through his own poetry and through that of others. His favorite poem of all is a short, rhythmic one by Walter Dean Myers called "Love That Boy" (included at the end of the book with all the rest of Ms. Stretchberry's assignments). The words completely captivate him, reminding him of the loving way his dad calls him in the morning and of the way he used to call his yellow dog, Sky. Jack's reverence for the poem ultimately leads to meeting the poet himself, an experience he will never forget.

This winning, accessible book is truly remarkable in that Creech lets us witness firsthand how words can open doors to the soul. And this from a boy who asks, "Why doesn't the person just / keep going if he's got / so many miles to go / before he sleeps?" (Ages 8 to 12) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:28 -0400)

A young student, who comes to love poetry through a personal understanding of what different famous poems mean to him, surprises himself by writing his own inspired poem.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,851,493 books! | Top bar: Always visible