Love That Dog by Creech Sharon

Love That Dog (original 2001; edition 2003)

by Creech Sharon

Member:CAS2199
Title:Love That Dog
Authors:Creech Sharon
Info:Scholastic Trade (2003), Edition: First, Paperback, 86 pages
Rating:*****

Love That Dog by Sharon Creech (2001)

English (264)  Dutch (1)  All languages (265)
A very sweet book about a young boy discovery his love for poetry. As a reader you get to share his enjoyment of some famous poems and watch as he tries to emulate their style. This book would work great with elementary age students. Since it references some real poetry, a teacher could use ti to egos her students to poetry and to encourage them to write their own poetry.
  KristenNevala | Feb 6, 2016 |

blooms

his classmates

are in awe.

The End.

So, yes I liked this book, it was humorous and the story of Jack, his poetry and his dog evolved very nicely.

Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
I loved the structure of this book and the story: a young boy starts enjoying and writing poetry without realizing it. His most clearly poignant poem is about his dog, but his growing love of poetry is also moving.

My only reason for giving it 4 stars instead of 5 is that it's a lovely short story for adults (not a book) but is written for children, who may not appreciate it. I hope I'm wrong and kids get and love it too. If so, I would give it 5 stars. ( )
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
This is a slim novel told entirely in verse. Jack is struggling with his English class. It’s bad enough they have to read poems but Miss Stretchberry wants the children to write poems! Cautiously, Jack explores this new way of expressing himself. Despite his claims that he doesn’t understand, can’t do it, or that his brain is empty, he does eventually find a way to express his feelings for his dog Sky.

Love this book
Like trout love a brook
I said, I love this book
Like a trout loves a brook
Love to read it in the morning
Love it in my little reading nook
Love this book!

BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
Great book to teach children about poetry.
  EvelynCoria | Dec 6, 2015 |
For
Sandy and Jack Floyd
Mark and Karin Leuthy Benjamin
Louise England
Rob Leuthy

all of whom
love love love their dogs

With special thanks to
Walter Dean Myers

and to all the poets
and Mr.-and-Ms. Stretchberrys
who inspire students every day
Room 105 - Miss Stretchberry - September 13 / I don't want to / because boys / don't write poetry. / Girls do.
Sky was just there in the road lying on his side with his legs bent funny and his side heaving

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064409597, Paperback)

Newbery Medal winner Sharon Creech's Love That Dog, a funny, sweet, original short novel written in free verse, introduces us to an endearingly unassuming, straight-talking boy who discovers the powers and pleasures of poetry. Against his will. After all, "boys don't write poetry. Girls do." What does he say of the famous poem "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening"? "I think Mr. Robert Frost / has a little / too / much / time / on his / hands." As his teacher, Ms. Stretchberry, introduces the canon to the class, however, he starts to see the light. Poetry is not so bad, it's not just for girls, and it's not even that hard to write. Take William Carlos Williams, for example: "If that is a poem / about the red wheelbarrow / and the white chickens / then any words / can be a poem. / You've just got to / make / short / lines." He becomes more and more discerning as the days go by, and readers' spirits will rise with Jack's as he begins to find his own voice through his own poetry and through that of others. His favorite poem of all is a short, rhythmic one by Walter Dean Myers called "Love That Boy" (included at the end of the book with all the rest of Ms. Stretchberry's assignments). The words completely captivate him, reminding him of the loving way his dad calls him in the morning and of the way he used to call his yellow dog, Sky. Jack's reverence for the poem ultimately leads to meeting the poet himself, an experience he will never forget.

This winning, accessible book is truly remarkable in that Creech lets us witness firsthand how words can open doors to the soul. And this from a boy who asks, "Why doesn't the person just / keep going if he's got / so many miles to go / before he sleeps?" (Ages 8 to 12) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:28 -0400)

A young student, who comes to love poetry through a personal understanding of what different famous poems mean to him, surprises himself by writing his own inspired poem.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,141,859 books! | Top bar: Always visible