Love That Dog by Creech Sharon

Love That Dog (original 2001; edition 2003)

by Creech Sharon

Member:CAS2199
Title:Love That Dog
Authors:Creech Sharon
Info:Scholastic Trade (2003), Edition: First, Paperback, 86 pages
Rating:*****

Love That Dog by Sharon Creech (2001)

Recently added byMalloryelaine, kristennicoson, private library, katolibrary, MattM50, AAGP, maattard, RWAMAGANA

English (237)  Dutch (1)  All languages (238)
This book was strange to me at first but it was a very good one. The main character is tasked with keeping a poetry journal and what we the reader are reading is what he is putting in his journal. One thing I loved about this book was how the main character's poetry gets better throughout the novel. At first the main character hates the idea of writing poetry but as he gets better at it and begins to actually like it, his poetry improves drastically and we the reader begin to see that. As his poetry improves, so does his confidence. I believe the message that is important to try new things because like in the book, it may become something that you are very good at and it might turn into something you love doing. This is why I really liked this book. ( )
  MattM50 | Nov 18, 2014 |
I liked the book “Love that Dog” by Sharon Creech. One reason I liked this book was because of the plot. In the beginning, the reader finds out that this boy is asked to write poetry in his class but does not want to because he is a boy. “I don’t want to because boys don’t write poetry. Girls do.” It also explains how he does not understand poems such as “The Red Wheelbarrow” poem. Throughout the story, the boy is made to write poetry. In the end, he actually enjoys writing poetry. Another reason I liked this book was because of the characters. The boy in this book can be related to by many people not just boys. A lot of people in the world do not have to like poetry, but can deal with it for the time being like the boy did in the book for class. The big idea of this story is to try something new. You might dislike it in the beginning but it might end up being something you love. ( )
  amulve2 | Oct 30, 2014 |
(4.9)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
Love that dog is a story about a young boy who at the beginning resists writing poetry but then comes to love it. It is written by the author of Walk two Moons and is a definite heart-wrenching tale. I liked this book for a couple reasons but mostly for the way it was written. The story is written in all diary form by the main character, a young boy. I loved that the author chose to write it this way because it offers more insight into the main character and helps to really connect the reader to the story. As well as helping move the story along. In my opinion it also helps to evoke more emotion. For example throughout the whole book we read about this dog named Sky, that the main character had and how much he loved it but later on when we find out what happened to the dog and how the main character’s poems all relate to this event. It creates a more emotional connection and you really feel for the main character, as if you knew this dog too. I remember reading this book as a child and crying during this part. It was just so emotional and I felt this strong connection to the reader. It also helps the reader to relate because the reader might have gone through the same experience. I love that the author did this and feel it makes the book, as well as the story much more meaningful and is definitely something I never seen before in a children’s book. These journals are also dated throughout a school year, which is something I found extremely interesting and helped make the story more interesting because you really could see the character grow.
Another reason I enjoyed it was how descriptive it was. For a children’s book, I thought it wouldn’t be as descriptive. An example of this is when you find out what happened to dog. The author went in extreme detail. I thought she would just say the dog died. Instead she led up to the event describing it saying, “Sky closed his eyes and never opened them again.” This was very vivid for a children book and not something I would ever expect but something I did kind of like because it was very unconventional.
The final thing I liked was that the book at the back had all the poems that the main character talked about throughout the book. This is something I liked a lot because I feel it was nice to have because if the reader wanted to know more about those poems or read them themselves, they had the opportunity as well as being able to understand the events in the book better. All in all this book is a good book about love and loss that conveys the message that if at first you don’t like something you could end up liking it in the end. ( )
  BriaCoogle | Sep 29, 2014 |
Love That Dog is free verse poems compiled together to create a journal like novel written by a boy named Jack who is reluctant to do his teacher's poetry assignments. With each entry the boys confidence in his writing grows as he discovers poetry is not just for girls. I like this book because it shows the progression of disliking poetry to finding a love and passion for it, the book would be a great tool to get children interested in writing their own poems. This novel would be appropriate for children in grades 3-7.
  SaraJoslin | Sep 23, 2014 |
For
Sandy and Jack Floyd
Mark and Karin Leuthy Benjamin
Louise England
Rob Leuthy

all of whom
love love love their dogs

With special thanks to
Walter Dean Myers

and to all the poets
and Mr.-and-Ms. Stretchberrys
who inspire students every day
Room 105 - Miss Stretchberry - September 13 / I don't want to / because boys / don't write poetry. / Girls do.
Sky was just there in the road lying on his side with his legs bent funny and his side heaving

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064409597, Paperback)

Newbery Medal winner Sharon Creech's Love That Dog, a funny, sweet, original short novel written in free verse, introduces us to an endearingly unassuming, straight-talking boy who discovers the powers and pleasures of poetry. Against his will. After all, "boys don't write poetry. Girls do." What does he say of the famous poem "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening"? "I think Mr. Robert Frost / has a little / too / much / time / on his / hands." As his teacher, Ms. Stretchberry, introduces the canon to the class, however, he starts to see the light. Poetry is not so bad, it's not just for girls, and it's not even that hard to write. Take William Carlos Williams, for example: "If that is a poem / about the red wheelbarrow / and the white chickens / then any words / can be a poem. / You've just got to / make / short / lines." He becomes more and more discerning as the days go by, and readers' spirits will rise with Jack's as he begins to find his own voice through his own poetry and through that of others. His favorite poem of all is a short, rhythmic one by Walter Dean Myers called "Love That Boy" (included at the end of the book with all the rest of Ms. Stretchberry's assignments). The words completely captivate him, reminding him of the loving way his dad calls him in the morning and of the way he used to call his yellow dog, Sky. Jack's reverence for the poem ultimately leads to meeting the poet himself, an experience he will never forget.

This winning, accessible book is truly remarkable in that Creech lets us witness firsthand how words can open doors to the soul. And this from a boy who asks, "Why doesn't the person just / keep going if he's got / so many miles to go / before he sleeps?" (Ages 8 to 12) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:50 -0400)

A young student, who comes to love poetry through a personal understanding of what different famous poems mean to him, surprises himself by writing his own inspired poem.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,983,381 books! | Top bar: Always visible