Love That Dog by Creech Sharon

Love That Dog (original 2001; edition 2003)

by Creech Sharon

Title:Love That Dog
Authors:Creech Sharon
Info:Scholastic Trade (2003), Edition: First, Paperback, 86 pages

Love That Dog by Sharon Creech (2001)

English (275)  Dutch (1)  All languages (276)
Emotional story about a student who was assigned a poetry journal and hates it at first but then falls in love with poetry. Sparks a lot of emotion and thoughts for children. Could be used to provide examples of simple poetry.
  rileyjb | Oct 24, 2016 |
Have students explore "the main idea" of Love That Dog. Why didn't the main character want to write poetry in the beginning of the story? Why didn't the character want his teacher to put his name on his poems? Why is the title of the story "Love That Dog"?

RI.3.2 Determine the main idea of a text; recount the key details and explain how they support the main idea.

-Explain to students that not all poems rhyme.
-Let them make their own poems
-Introduce similes and metaphors
-conduct lesson on different types of poetry, literary terms like alliteration, onomatopoeia, etc.
  tiffanyturner | Oct 23, 2016 |
This book would be a great example to show my students who may have a negative look on poetry that it can be fun to read and write! We can see that Jack doesn't like poetry in the beginning, but then he enjoys it and writes it very well! I believe that this book would be a great inspiration for my future students. ( )
  laurenkt | Oct 20, 2016 |
Loved this book! In class classmates and I that were in my group got to "free draw" coloring any picture that comes to mind about this book. ( )
  danyaa | Oct 20, 2016 |
I thought this was a cute story! I thought it was inspirational, especially with how the boy admired the poet that inspired him to write his poem about his yellow dog. ( )
  Jdean12 | Oct 20, 2016 |
Sandy and Jack Floyd
Mark and Karin Leuthy Benjamin
Louise England
Rob Leuthy

all of whom
love love love their dogs

With special thanks to
Walter Dean Myers

and to all the poets
and Mr.-and-Ms. Stretchberrys
who inspire students every day
Room 105 - Miss Stretchberry - September 13 / I don't want to / because boys / don't write poetry. / Girls do.
Sky was just there in the road lying on his side with his legs bent funny and his side heaving

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064409597, Paperback)

Newbery Medal winner Sharon Creech's Love That Dog, a funny, sweet, original short novel written in free verse, introduces us to an endearingly unassuming, straight-talking boy who discovers the powers and pleasures of poetry. Against his will. After all, "boys don't write poetry. Girls do." What does he say of the famous poem "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening"? "I think Mr. Robert Frost / has a little / too / much / time / on his / hands." As his teacher, Ms. Stretchberry, introduces the canon to the class, however, he starts to see the light. Poetry is not so bad, it's not just for girls, and it's not even that hard to write. Take William Carlos Williams, for example: "If that is a poem / about the red wheelbarrow / and the white chickens / then any words / can be a poem. / You've just got to / make / short / lines." He becomes more and more discerning as the days go by, and readers' spirits will rise with Jack's as he begins to find his own voice through his own poetry and through that of others. His favorite poem of all is a short, rhythmic one by Walter Dean Myers called "Love That Boy" (included at the end of the book with all the rest of Ms. Stretchberry's assignments). The words completely captivate him, reminding him of the loving way his dad calls him in the morning and of the way he used to call his yellow dog, Sky. Jack's reverence for the poem ultimately leads to meeting the poet himself, an experience he will never forget.

This winning, accessible book is truly remarkable in that Creech lets us witness firsthand how words can open doors to the soul. And this from a boy who asks, "Why doesn't the person just / keep going if he's got / so many miles to go / before he sleeps?" (Ages 8 to 12) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:28 -0400)

A young student, who comes to love poetry through a personal understanding of what different famous poems mean to him, surprises himself by writing his own inspired poem.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,837,422 books! | Top bar: Always visible