Love That Dog by Creech Sharon

Love That Dog (original 2001; edition 2003)

by Creech Sharon

Member:CAS2199
Title:Love That Dog
Authors:Creech Sharon
Info:Scholastic Trade (2003), Edition: First, Paperback, 86 pages
Rating:*****

Love That Dog by Sharon Creech (2001)

English (232)  Dutch (1)  All languages (233)
This one is for boys who think poetry is only for girls. ( )
  OliviaGarcia | Jul 24, 2014 |
Clever novel written in verse. Tells an engaging story of a young boy who doesn't like poetry. He doesn't understand the genre and thinks it's only for girls. His teacher opens his eyes to the world of poetry and figurative language. He learns to love it and becomes a poet himself without even realizing it. This book is great for introducing poetry to intermediate and middle grade students. ( )
  rachelmuegge | Jul 23, 2014 |
A short novel in free verse, telling the story of Jack and his dog through his teacher-required journal entries responding to poetry read in class. The story is both believable and inviting, with an appendix of the handful of poems referenced in the book. Fantastic book. Loved it, especially for its value as a short book with depth for my reluctant reader.
  mebrock | Jun 12, 2014 |
Love That Dog Sharon Creech Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers Publication date: 3/1/2003 Edition description: Reprint Pages: 128 Love That Dog is a short novel about a boy who is assigned to write poems but is conviened he cannot. His teacher is persistent in encouraging him to try. When Jack, the main character is inspired by a poet, he learns that he can write poems, and he writes one about his dog that has passed away.
  joey_spencer | May 13, 2014 |
I like this story because it has a very natural flow, the character is relatable to many students, and the format is original. As not much one for poetry myself, I can personally attest to the fact that this particular text gets you excited about reading future poetry. The teacher uses many poems in her lessons, and the author includes these, in full, at the end of the book. I loved this element because as I was reading I wanted more context, and, because I didn't know about this until the end, I found myself rereading several passages and making connections.
  biarias | Mar 13, 2014 |
For
Sandy and Jack Floyd
Mark and Karin Leuthy Benjamin
Louise England
Rob Leuthy

all of whom
love love love their dogs

With special thanks to
Walter Dean Myers

and to all the poets
and Mr.-and-Ms. Stretchberrys
who inspire students every day
September 13
I don't want to
because boys
don't write poetry.
Sky was just there in the road lying on his side with his legs bent funny and his side heaving

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064409597, Paperback)

Newbery Medal winner Sharon Creech's Love That Dog, a funny, sweet, original short novel written in free verse, introduces us to an endearingly unassuming, straight-talking boy who discovers the powers and pleasures of poetry. Against his will. After all, "boys don't write poetry. Girls do." What does he say of the famous poem "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening"? "I think Mr. Robert Frost / has a little / too / much / time / on his / hands." As his teacher, Ms. Stretchberry, introduces the canon to the class, however, he starts to see the light. Poetry is not so bad, it's not just for girls, and it's not even that hard to write. Take William Carlos Williams, for example: "If that is a poem / about the red wheelbarrow / and the white chickens / then any words / can be a poem. / You've just got to / make / short / lines." He becomes more and more discerning as the days go by, and readers' spirits will rise with Jack's as he begins to find his own voice through his own poetry and through that of others. His favorite poem of all is a short, rhythmic one by Walter Dean Myers called "Love That Boy" (included at the end of the book with all the rest of Ms. Stretchberry's assignments). The words completely captivate him, reminding him of the loving way his dad calls him in the morning and of the way he used to call his yellow dog, Sky. Jack's reverence for the poem ultimately leads to meeting the poet himself, an experience he will never forget.

This winning, accessible book is truly remarkable in that Creech lets us witness firsthand how words can open doors to the soul. And this from a boy who asks, "Why doesn't the person just / keep going if he's got / so many miles to go / before he sleeps?" (Ages 8 to 12) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:50 -0400)

A young student, who comes to love poetry through a personal understanding of what different famous poems mean to him, surprises himself by writing his own inspired poem.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,601,926 books! | Top bar: Always visible