Love That Dog by Sharon Creech

Love That Dog (original 2001; edition 2003)

by Sharon Creech

Title:Love That Dog
Authors:Sharon Creech
Info:Perfection Learning (2003), Hardcover
Tags:poetry, boys, dog, learning poetry, poems, journaling, types of poetry, student perspective, self discovery, writing style, word choice

Love That Dog by Sharon Creech (2001)

English (273)  Dutch (1)  All languages (274)
This book would be a great example to show my students who may have a negative look on poetry that it can be fun to read and write! We can see that Jack doesn't like poetry in the beginning, but then he enjoys it and writes it very well! I believe that this book would be a great inspiration for my future students. ( )
  laurenkt | Oct 20, 2016 |
Loved this book! In class classmates and I that were in my group got to "free draw" coloring any picture that comes to mind about this book. ( )
  danyaa | Oct 20, 2016 |
I thought this was a cute story! I thought it was inspirational, especially with how the boy admired the poet that inspired him to write his poem about his yellow dog. ( )
  Jdean12 | Oct 20, 2016 |
This is a heartwarming story about a boy who doesn't want to write poetry after being given an assignment in school. But after keeping a journal he finds that he rather likes it. The boy goes through the process of learning how to write poetry. I think this would be a nice complement to teach a class poetry.
  CindyNeils | Jul 29, 2016 |
Sharon Creech is a master of prose and this book will not disappoint her fans. The story of a young boy coming to love and write poetry unfolds quite sweetly in this novel. Jack is an elementary age boy who doesn't want to write poetry or understand it. Eventually in protesting the writing of a poem, Jack realizes he's quite good at it. When he is asked to write about a pet, Jack is reluctant and Creech reveals the reason why through a series of poignant poems written by Jack. The reader comes to find out that Jack's beloved pet dog died. Following Jack's evolution from reluctant student to poet and lover of poetry, the reader comes along on a journey that will likely lead to their own understanding and love of poetry. ( )
  bfsnook | Jul 27, 2016 |
Sandy and Jack Floyd
Mark and Karin Leuthy Benjamin
Louise England
Rob Leuthy

all of whom
love love love their dogs

With special thanks to
Walter Dean Myers

and to all the poets
and Mr.-and-Ms. Stretchberrys
who inspire students every day
Room 105 - Miss Stretchberry - September 13 / I don't want to / because boys / don't write poetry. / Girls do.
Sky was just there in the road lying on his side with his legs bent funny and his side heaving

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064409597, Paperback)

Newbery Medal winner Sharon Creech's Love That Dog, a funny, sweet, original short novel written in free verse, introduces us to an endearingly unassuming, straight-talking boy who discovers the powers and pleasures of poetry. Against his will. After all, "boys don't write poetry. Girls do." What does he say of the famous poem "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening"? "I think Mr. Robert Frost / has a little / too / much / time / on his / hands." As his teacher, Ms. Stretchberry, introduces the canon to the class, however, he starts to see the light. Poetry is not so bad, it's not just for girls, and it's not even that hard to write. Take William Carlos Williams, for example: "If that is a poem / about the red wheelbarrow / and the white chickens / then any words / can be a poem. / You've just got to / make / short / lines." He becomes more and more discerning as the days go by, and readers' spirits will rise with Jack's as he begins to find his own voice through his own poetry and through that of others. His favorite poem of all is a short, rhythmic one by Walter Dean Myers called "Love That Boy" (included at the end of the book with all the rest of Ms. Stretchberry's assignments). The words completely captivate him, reminding him of the loving way his dad calls him in the morning and of the way he used to call his yellow dog, Sky. Jack's reverence for the poem ultimately leads to meeting the poet himself, an experience he will never forget.

This winning, accessible book is truly remarkable in that Creech lets us witness firsthand how words can open doors to the soul. And this from a boy who asks, "Why doesn't the person just / keep going if he's got / so many miles to go / before he sleeps?" (Ages 8 to 12) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:28 -0400)

A young student, who comes to love poetry through a personal understanding of what different famous poems mean to him, surprises himself by writing his own inspired poem.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,725,655 books! | Top bar: Always visible