Newton's wake a space opera by Ken MacLeod

Newton's wake a space opera (edition 2005)

by Ken MacLeod

Member:sisatto
Title:Newton's wake a space opera
Authors:Ken MacLeod
Info:London Orbit 2005.
Tags:scifi

Newton's Wake by Ken MacLeod

Well holy shit, I was not expecting this. I had never heard of Ken MacLeod before finding out about Newton’s Wake on io9. For years I kept myself to a small group of authors, only occasionally branching out, and then quickly running back to my cave when those works people love (i.e. Dune) couldn’t hold my interest no matter how hard I tried to read them.

This year has been different, I’ve been trying to read as many different authors as I can. Lots of them have been terrible in my opinion, but I won't mention them. I see no reason to slam a fellow author’s work, but I’ve been reading a lot of different authors and loving it.

I’m glad I’ve been branching out because Newton’s Wake is phenomenal. Everything about it is great. The casual story telling, Carlyle’s who talk like the sophisticated gangsters they are, the giant ideas. Shit, Lucinda even feels like a 25 year old. At first I couldn’t place why she didn’t seem all that grownup, at times showing lack of maturity, and then he mentions her age and the writing instantly became even better. Good job Ken, it’s no small feat making characters that each feel the age they are across a range of ages; instead of the characters feeling the same age even though they’re not.

And I’m really digging these books that don’t go out of their way to explain things in long paragraphs, rather everything just comes together by the end.

I’m definitely looking forward to reading more of Ken’s books ( )
  scifi_jon | Jun 16, 2015 |
A very hard read. The problems started right at the beginning, when the future Scottish vernacular made me doubt the ebooks integrity. I don't know if native speakers have the same issues, but for me it was very hard tae read. It took some week until I was ready to give the book a second chance. This time it went a lot smoother, until somewhere between halfway and two thirds, when I stopped again. I finally finished it today, but it was a fight.

The main problem I had was that there's no continually likeable character in the whole book. The main character seems like a supporting character most of the time. Some of the supporting characters are good, but they don't appear often enough to help getting through the story.

The story is the second problem I had with this book. It felt incoherent, more like loosely connected short stories. There is this huge force mentioned throughout the book and when it finally makes an appearance this big buildup just deflates. ( )
  kenzen | Feb 23, 2015 |
I read this some years ago--perhaps when it first appeared, and remembered a very different novel, one that was atypical of MacLeod. This one is a very different take on some of his recurring themes, like the conflict between artificial intelligences and human communities and radical politics. There is a playful quality about this novel that I enjoyed very much, as well as a fast-moving and surprising plot. ( )
  nmele | Jan 2, 2015 |
I loved this book. I felt it threw me in at the deep end a bit, as Macleod seems to do a lot, but I loved it. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
I loved both Ken MacLeod's Fall Revolution tetralogy and Engines of Light trilogy but this, the first standalone novel by him that I have read, was a bit of a disappointment. I think MacLeod is likely one of the most intellectually brilliant authors writing Science Fiction today, and he definitely has one of the most fertile (and bizarre) imaginations, but both those things seem to be getting in the way of making a Newton’s Wake live up to his previous work. While the novel is packed full to overspilling with utterly brilliant, jaw-dropping ideas, there is not much in the way of story or characters or even theme to hold them all together. It’s like MacLeod had a bunch of them left over from his earlier novels, and did not quite know what to do them, so he just stuffed them into the next best container he had handy. While the result resebmles a grab bag more than it does a novel, it does have its charms and while not as mind-boggling as his previous stuff it still is enjoyable to read - the excerpts from The Tragedy of Leonid Brezhnev, Prince of Muscovy alone are worth it.
  Larou | Jul 4, 2012 |

Ken MacLeodprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gibbons, LeeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Martiniere, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Charlie and Feòrag
As soon as she stepped through the gate Lucinda Carlyle knew the planet had been taken, and knew it would be worth taking back.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 076534422X, Paperback)

ACROSS THE UNIVERSE

In the aftermath of the Hard Rapture-a cataclysmic war sparked by the explosive evolution of Earth's artificial intelligences into godlike beings-a few remnants of humanity managed to survive. Some even prospered.

Lucinda Carlyle, head of an ambitious clan of galactic entrepreneurs, had carved out a profitable niche for herself and her kin by taking control of the Skein, a chain of interstellar gates left behind by the posthumans. But on a world called Eurydice, a remote planet at the farthest rim of the galaxy, Lucinda stumbled upon a forgotten relic of the past that could threaten the Carlyles' way of life.

For, in the last instants before the war, a desperate band of scientists had scanned billions of human personalities into digital storage, and sent them into space in the hope of one day resurrecting them to the flesh. Now, armed, dangerous, and very much alive, these revenants have triggered a fateful confrontation that could shatter the balance of power, and even change the nature of reality itself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:43 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,483,348 books! | Top bar: Always visible