Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia, Woolf

Mrs. Dalloway (original 1925; edition 2007)

by Virginia, Woolf

12,654208188 (3.89)1 / 729
Member:Celso
Title:Mrs. Dalloway
Authors:Virginia, Woolf
Info:
Collections:Biblioteca

Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf (1925)

The Hours by Michael Cunningham (PLReader)
    The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman (KayCliff)
    In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust (caflores)
    Ulysse 1 by James Joyce (caflores)
    Five Bells by Gail Jones (fountainoverflows)
    Life and Death of Harriett Frean by May Sinclair (DanLovesAlice)
    DanLovesAlice: As much as Clarissa Dalloway is a product of a constrictive society, Sinclair's Harriet Frean is even worse. Severely psychologically affected in later life by her parent's rules, her individuality and freedom is ruined by always 'behaving beautifully'.… (more)
    Great Books by David Denby (Anonymous user)

English (191)  Spanish (4)  French (4)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (2)  Swedish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  German (1)  All languages (207)
This book can be hard going. It's like a really rich piece of food - you have to take it in small chunks. However, it's a really rewarding reading experience. The language is beautiful and Woolf captures the characters in such minute detail that you have a complete picture of who they actually are.

Some might find the stream-of-consciousness style a bit grating - I did in parts - but otherwise an utterly fascinating vignette. ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
I listened to this, and the narration worked well. It is set over the course of a day and has all sorts of twists and turns - not so much in the way of action, more in the way of revelations of character. It is very much a stream of consciousness, all internal thought. The thoughts tend to run from one person to another when they come into contact with each other, so person 1 sees a couple in a park, the narration is taken up be one of the couple. The characters are a mixture, but mainly middle aged. The thing that hangs the novel together in the passing of time, usually announced by the chiming of clocks and especially Big Ben (note for the terminally geeky - Big Ben CANNOT chime the quarters, Big Ben is the name of the hour bell hung in St Stephen's tower, but the name is adopted (sloppily) by the clock and the tower as a whole. I was mildly surprised to see this usage in a book from the 1920s, I hadn't realised that this usage was that old).
Mrs Dalloway is giving a party, and spends most of her day sorting things for this. And she initially appears quite frivolous, but by the end of the day, a much fuller picture has emerged, far more rounded and human. I found myself urging on Mr Dalloway as he headed home determined to tell Clarissa that he loved her - but failed at the final hurdle, in that typical male, middle class, stiff upper lip manner. You find so much about her and her life (And I'm sure marry Peter would have been a disaster - they may have had a youthful passion, but he sounded like a cad, with a way of belittling everyone he comes into contact with, yet never actually amounting to much). The one that you really feel sorry for is Lucrezia Warren Smith, as she's utterly out of her depth, being both a foreigner and trying to deal with a man who is obviously mentally at the end of his tether - as indeed he proved. I found it interesting that both she and Mrs Dalloway had the same reaction to the eminent doctor.
At first glance this could be quite shallow, but it is nothing but. There is deep emotion, difficulty expressing emotion, many different relationships, and effects of love - of all kinds. There is quite a lot of the past and how the present has been driven by it. Some of the thoughts we sampled express regret for the actions of the past, others are satisfied by where they are, others still are troubled by it. If you like a plot driven book, this is not it. However it is an eloquent study of human beings and their innermost thoughts. ( )
  Helenliz | Oct 4, 2014 |
Struggled to love any of Woolf's novels outside of The Waves. Yes, the prose is inventive and often beautiful, but it's concealing a novel which is essentially a thinly-plotted tale of upper-middle-class manners in the 1920's - about which I can't muster much interest. ( )
  sometimeunderwater | Sep 29, 2014 |
I’m not sure how I can write a review of a work so beautiful and complex. I bought this book for a dollar at a book sale fundraiser my school held, and I wasn’t quite sure what I was getting into. I knew the story; I had seen the movie version as well as read The Hours by Michael Cunningham and had seen the movie The Hours as well.

What I wasn’t expecting was the prose and how beautifully the book is written. It’s slow and difficult to read, but very rewarding. I definitely had an easier time figuring out what was going on since I had seen the movie before, and I was a little thankful for it. It allowed me to focus just on the style and the poetry of the words.

Virginia Woolf captures her characters beautifully. Each character is rich, full of desires and history, and it is one of the reasons that I love this book. They are wonderfully understood. There were times when I felt like Mrs. Dalloway, or any of the other characters in the book.

This book is certainly one of my favorites, but its not for everybody. I am delighted by finally discovering Virginia Woolf, and I am really looking forward to reading more of her novels, particularly To the Lighthouse or The Waves. ( )
  sighedtosleep | Sep 1, 2014 |

Among Mrs. Woolf's contemporaries, there are not a few who have brought to the traditional forms of fiction, and the stated modes of writing, idioms which cannot but enlarge the resources of speech and the uses of narrative. Virginia Woolf is almost alone, however, in the intricate yet clear art of her composition. Clarissa's day, the impressions she gives and receives, the memories and recognitions which stir in her, the events which are initiated remotely and engineered almost to touching distance of the impervious Clarissa, capture in a definitive matrix the drift of thought and feeling in a period, the point of view of a class, and seem almost to indicate the strength and weakness of an entire civilization.

Woolf, Virginiaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bell, VanessaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brunt, NiniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hämäläinen, KyllikkiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Risvik, KariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scalero, AlessandraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mrs. Dalloway said she would buy the flowers herself.

For Lucy had her work cut out for her. The doors would be taken off their hinges; Rumpelmayer’s men were coming. And then, thought Clarissa Dalloway, what a morning—fresh as if issued to children on a beach.
"Mrs. Dalloway," "Mrs. Dalloway's Party," "The Mrs. Dalloway Reader," and "Mrs. Dalloway" in combination with other titles (e.g., "The Waves" or "To the Lighthouse") are each distinct works or combinations of works. Please preserve these distinctions, and don't combine any of the other works with this one. Thank you.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0156628708, Paperback)

As Clarissa Dalloway walks through London on a fine June morning, a sky-writing plane captures her attention. Crowds stare upwards to decipher the message while the plane turns and loops, leaving off one letter, picking up another. Like the airplane's swooping path, Virginia Woolf's Mrs. Dalloway follows Clarissa and those whose lives brush hers--from Peter Walsh, whom she spurned years ago, to her daughter Elizabeth, the girl's angry teacher, Doris Kilman, and war-shocked Septimus Warren Smith, who is sinking into madness.

As Mrs. Dalloway prepares for the party she is giving that evening, a series of events intrudes on her composure. Her husband is invited, without her, to lunch with Lady Bruton (who, Clarissa notes anxiously, gives the most amusing luncheons). Meanwhile, Peter Walsh appears, recently from India, to criticize and confide in her. His sudden arrival evokes memories of a distant past, the choices she made then, and her wistful friendship with Sally Seton.

Woolf then explores the relationships between women and men, and between women, as Clarissa muses, "It was something central which permeated; something warm which broke up surfaces and rippled the cold contact of man and woman, or of women together.... Her relation in the old days with Sally Seton. Had not that, after all, been love?" While Clarissa is transported to past afternoons with Sally, and as she sits mending her green dress, Warren Smith catapults desperately into his delusions. Although his troubles form a tangent to Clarissa's web, they undeniably touch it, and the strands connecting all these characters draw tighter as evening deepens. As she immerses us in each inner life, Virginia Woolf offers exquisite, painful images of the past bleeding into the present, of desire overwhelmed by society's demands. --Joannie Kervran Stangeland

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:07 -0400)

Depicts the events, thoughts, and actions of a single day in the life of Clarissa Dalloway.

Nine editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182490, 0141198508, 024195679X

Urban Romantics

Two editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909438014, 1909438022

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,388,806 books! | Top bar: Always visible