Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia, Woolf

Mrs. Dalloway (original 1925; edition 2007)

by Virginia, Woolf

13,531238157 (3.88)1 / 885
Member:Celso
Title:Mrs. Dalloway
Authors:Virginia, Woolf
Info:Mem Martins, Europa-América, 2007.
Collections:Biblioteca

Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf (1925)

The Hours by Michael Cunningham (PLReader)
    The Yellow Wall-Paper {story} by Charlotte Perkins Gilman (KayCliff)
    In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust (caflores)
    Ulysse 1 by James Joyce (caflores)
    Five Bells by Gail Jones (fountainoverflows)
    Life and Death of Harriett Frean by May Sinclair (DanLovesAlice)
    DanLovesAlice: As much as Clarissa Dalloway is a product of a constrictive society, Sinclair's Harriet Frean is even worse. Severely psychologically affected in later life by her parent's rules, her individuality and freedom is ruined by always 'behaving beautifully'.… (more)
    Great Books by David Denby (Anonymous user)
1920s (6)

English (215)  Spanish (4)  French (4)  Catalan (2)  Dutch (2)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (232)
I went into this book with very little expectations of me enjoying it. Novels about high society usually put me off. I bought this book because it was by a famous author and it cost me 2 and a half Euros.

I have to state, first and foremost, that Woolf is an absolutely fantastic writer. Her way of switching perspectives is unique, her metaphores and imagery are stunning, and she creates real, touching characters.

I enjoyed it and I might perhaps read some more of her works in the future, but it was not a work that blew me away per say. Sometimes she lost me in her metaphores, and the language used by the characters was a bit off-putting.

Perhaps the premise and the setting of the novel are my only critique. Her prose is superb, and I can see why people still read her work to this day.
  bartt95 | Apr 10, 2016 |
A dinner, in the upper class in england in 1920, Woolf uses 'monologue interieur'. ( )
  Gerardlionel | Apr 2, 2016 |
This book can be hard going. It's like a really rich piece of food - you have to take it in small chunks. However, it's a really rewarding reading experience. The language is beautiful and Woolf captures the characters in such minute detail that you have a complete picture of who they actually are.

Some might find the stream-of-consciousness style a bit grating - I did in parts - but otherwise an utterly fascinating vignette. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Mar 13, 2016 |
Didn't understand this at all. ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
When I whatched the movie "The Hours" I felt completly drawn to this title. Somehow I thought this book was written for me... I was wrong. I really like the "stream of consciousness" style, but I think here there was too much. The book describes "one day in her life and her whole life in a day" and also the lives of a bunch of characters that somehow are related to Mrs. Dalloway, it shows the british society after World War 2, mostly London sights.
As I read it I could see the essence of what I most loved about the movie, so all I can say is that since the movie was based on the book of its director I beleive he took the best of Virginia Woolf's work and made something better, something deeper, something that Virginia lost with so many characters . I'll definitely read the book "The hours" and try to see the best part of Mrs. Dalloway. ( )
  Glaucialm | Feb 18, 2016 |

Among Mrs. Woolf's contemporaries, there are not a few who have brought to the traditional forms of fiction, and the stated modes of writing, idioms which cannot but enlarge the resources of speech and the uses of narrative. Virginia Woolf is almost alone, however, in the intricate yet clear art of her composition. Clarissa's day, the impressions she gives and receives, the memories and recognitions which stir in her, the events which are initiated remotely and engineered almost to touching distance of the impervious Clarissa, capture in a definitive matrix the drift of thought and feeling in a period, the point of view of a class, and seem almost to indicate the strength and weakness of an entire civilization.

Woolf, Virginiaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hämäläinen, KyllikkiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Howard, MaureenForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Risvik, KariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scalero, AlessandraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mrs. Dalloway said she would buy the flowers herself.

For Lucy had her work cut out for her. The doors would be taken off their hinges; Rumpelmayer’s men were coming. And then, thought Clarissa Dalloway, what a morning—fresh as if issued to children on a beach.
"Mrs. Dalloway," "Mrs. Dalloway's Party," "The Mrs. Dalloway Reader," and "Mrs. Dalloway" in combination with other titles (e.g., "The Waves" or "To the Lighthouse") are each distinct works or combinations of works. Please preserve these distinctions, and don't combine any of the other works with this one. Thank you.

As Mrs. Dalloway prepares for the party she is giving that evening, a series of events intrudes on her composure. Her husband is invited, without her, to lunch with Lady Bruton (who, Clarissa notes anxiously, gives the most amusing luncheons). Meanwhile, Peter Walsh appears, recently from India, to criticize and confide in her. His sudden arrival evokes memories of a distant past, the choices she made then, and her wistful friendship with Sally Seton.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0156628708, Paperback)

As Clarissa Dalloway walks through London on a fine June morning, a sky-writing plane captures her attention. Crowds stare upwards to decipher the message while the plane turns and loops, leaving off one letter, picking up another. Like the airplane's swooping path, Virginia Woolf's Mrs. Dalloway follows Clarissa and those whose lives brush hers--from Peter Walsh, whom she spurned years ago, to her daughter Elizabeth, the girl's angry teacher, Doris Kilman, and war-shocked Septimus Warren Smith, who is sinking into madness.

Woolf then explores the relationships between women and men, and between women, as Clarissa muses, "It was something central which permeated; something warm which broke up surfaces and rippled the cold contact of man and woman, or of women together.... Her relation in the old days with Sally Seton. Had not that, after all, been love?" While Clarissa is transported to past afternoons with Sally, and as she sits mending her green dress, Warren Smith catapults desperately into his delusions. Although his troubles form a tangent to Clarissa's web, they undeniably touch it, and the strands connecting all these characters draw tighter as evening deepens. As she immerses us in each inner life, Virginia Woolf offers exquisite, painful images of the past bleeding into the present, of desire overwhelmed by society's demands. --Joannie Kervran Stangeland

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:14 -0400)

Depicts the events, thoughts, and actions of a single day in the life of Clarissa Dalloway.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182490, 0141198508, 024195679X

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909438014, 1909438022

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,256,775 books! | Top bar: Always visible