Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia, Woolf

Mrs. Dalloway (original 1925; edition 2007)

by Virginia, Woolf

13,033219175 (3.88)1 / 826
Member:Celso
Title:Mrs. Dalloway
Authors:Virginia, Woolf
Info:Mem Martins, Europa-América, 2007.
Collections:Biblioteca

Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf (1925)

The Hours by Michael Cunningham (PLReader)
    The Yellow Wall-Paper {story} by Charlotte Perkins Gilman (KayCliff)
    In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust (caflores)
    Ulysse 1 by James Joyce (caflores)
    Five Bells by Gail Jones (fountainoverflows)
    Life and Death of Harriett Frean by May Sinclair (DanLovesAlice)
    DanLovesAlice: As much as Clarissa Dalloway is a product of a constrictive society, Sinclair's Harriet Frean is even worse. Severely psychologically affected in later life by her parent's rules, her individuality and freedom is ruined by always 'behaving beautifully'.… (more)
    Great Books by David Denby (Anonymous user)

English (199)  Spanish (4)  French (4)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (2)  Swedish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  German (1)  All languages (215)
Boring! That is my description of this Virginia Woolf story in one word. It chronicles a day in the life of Mrs. Clarissa Dalloway with a few flashbacks to the past. It is written with a stream of consciousness technique. There are no chapters. There was only one blank line break in the entire book, presumably in the place which separated the two short stories from which the book was written. I wanted to abandon the book early on, but I forced myself to continue reading it since Woolf was one of the authors for the British Author Challenge this month. I wish that To The Lighthouse had been on the shelves at the library because after reading this one, I'm not going to be inclined to give it a try. ( )
  thornton37814 | Jul 13, 2015 |
The story itself wasn't really my taste. There was too much snobbery on the part of Mrs. Dalloway. There were other characters which were much more interesting like Septimus and his post trauma from the war or the stories from the servants, teacher and shopkeepers which I liked more.
What I was really fascinated was the language. It is very detailed and as a reader/listener one got the feeling to be a part of the story as an observer. ( )
  Ameise1 | Jul 13, 2015 |
A stream-of-consciousness trailblazer. But too much of a good thing can become a very bad thing. Becomes a fatiguing blur after 100 pages. ( )
  JamesMScott | Jun 7, 2015 |
Superbly written, the prose is exquisite, but glacial pacing of the plot may bore a lot of readers. Semi- autobiographical tells more about the author than the characters, and the times in which they lived. ( )
  charlie68 | May 18, 2015 |
Poor Mrs. Dalloway, lucky Mrs. Dalloway, silly and ditsy or of sharp perception and many emotions? It is for the reader to decide and Woolf offered a generous base for any further discussions and musings. Such is the case with all the other characters in this short work which is literally full to the brim. As always, it is important to put it into perspective and the context of the times to realise how modern and how very different it is in comparison to other literary work from the same period. The style did not really appeal until the second half, and now I want to re-read it, and I never do that. This time I will.

While reading it, I often had to think of Proust's Swann's Way, because of the similar voice (cannot say what exactly, but I was reminded of it all the time), continuous referring to the past, the same observant criticism of the characters and the ephemeral quality of writing which was dealing with complex things and life's many questions.

Upgrade to five starts after rereading the book immediately after I have finished reading. As I have mentioned before, I do not re-read books, ever, as there are so many books out there, and so little time. But this one, it is just so rich I felt I have not given it enough attention. I am awed by it and am enjoying spending time focused on the book. Last night I watched a film based on the book starring Vanessa Redgrave. It was interesting to see how another person understood and saw the work. As a next step, I am re-reading an homage of a sort that I have read several years back - Michael Cunnigham's The hours. It is very rewarding, and I strongly recommend it. ( )
  flydodofly | May 13, 2015 |

Among Mrs. Woolf's contemporaries, there are not a few who have brought to the traditional forms of fiction, and the stated modes of writing, idioms which cannot but enlarge the resources of speech and the uses of narrative. Virginia Woolf is almost alone, however, in the intricate yet clear art of her composition. Clarissa's day, the impressions she gives and receives, the memories and recognitions which stir in her, the events which are initiated remotely and engineered almost to touching distance of the impervious Clarissa, capture in a definitive matrix the drift of thought and feeling in a period, the point of view of a class, and seem almost to indicate the strength and weakness of an entire civilization.

Woolf, Virginiaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hämäläinen, KyllikkiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Howard, MaureenForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Risvik, KariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scalero, AlessandraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mrs. Dalloway said she would buy the flowers herself.

For Lucy had her work cut out for her. The doors would be taken off their hinges; Rumpelmayer’s men were coming. And then, thought Clarissa Dalloway, what a morning—fresh as if issued to children on a beach.
"Mrs. Dalloway," "Mrs. Dalloway's Party," "The Mrs. Dalloway Reader," and "Mrs. Dalloway" in combination with other titles (e.g., "The Waves" or "To the Lighthouse") are each distinct works or combinations of works. Please preserve these distinctions, and don't combine any of the other works with this one. Thank you.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0156628708, Paperback)

As Clarissa Dalloway walks through London on a fine June morning, a sky-writing plane captures her attention. Crowds stare upwards to decipher the message while the plane turns and loops, leaving off one letter, picking up another. Like the airplane's swooping path, Virginia Woolf's Mrs. Dalloway follows Clarissa and those whose lives brush hers--from Peter Walsh, whom she spurned years ago, to her daughter Elizabeth, the girl's angry teacher, Doris Kilman, and war-shocked Septimus Warren Smith, who is sinking into madness.

As Mrs. Dalloway prepares for the party she is giving that evening, a series of events intrudes on her composure. Her husband is invited, without her, to lunch with Lady Bruton (who, Clarissa notes anxiously, gives the most amusing luncheons). Meanwhile, Peter Walsh appears, recently from India, to criticize and confide in her. His sudden arrival evokes memories of a distant past, the choices she made then, and her wistful friendship with Sally Seton.

Woolf then explores the relationships between women and men, and between women, as Clarissa muses, "It was something central which permeated; something warm which broke up surfaces and rippled the cold contact of man and woman, or of women together.... Her relation in the old days with Sally Seton. Had not that, after all, been love?" While Clarissa is transported to past afternoons with Sally, and as she sits mending her green dress, Warren Smith catapults desperately into his delusions. Although his troubles form a tangent to Clarissa's web, they undeniably touch it, and the strands connecting all these characters draw tighter as evening deepens. As she immerses us in each inner life, Virginia Woolf offers exquisite, painful images of the past bleeding into the present, of desire overwhelmed by society's demands. --Joannie Kervran Stangeland

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:14 -0400)

Depicts the events, thoughts, and actions of a single day in the life of Clarissa Dalloway.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182490, 0141198508, 024195679X

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909438014, 1909438022

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,394,070 books! | Top bar: Always visible