Mrs Dalloway: Roman by Virginia Woolf

Mrs Dalloway: Roman (original 1925; edition 2010)

by Virginia Woolf

Info:Fischer Taschenbuch Verlag (2010), Ausgabe: 14, Taschenbuch, 208 Seiten
Collections:2012, Your library
Rating:****1/2
Tags:November 2012

Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf (1925)

The Hours by Michael Cunningham (PLReader)
    The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman (KayCliff)
    In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust (caflores)
    Ulysse 1 by James Joyce (caflores)
    Five Bells by Gail Jones (fountainoverflows)
    Life and Death of Harriett Frean by May Sinclair (DanLovesAlice)
    DanLovesAlice: As much as Clarissa Dalloway is a product of a constrictive society, Sinclair's Harriet Frean is even worse. Severely psychologically affected in later life by her parent's rules, her individuality and freedom is ruined by always 'behaving beautifully'.… (more)
    Great Books by David Denby (Anonymous user)

English (186)  Spanish (4)  French (4)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (2)  Swedish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  German (1)  All languages (202)
Absolute, total unequivocal CRAP!!!! A classic masterpiece, my Aunt Fanny! Stream of consciousness horseshit. I made it 21 pages in and decided that life is way too short for this pretentious dreck. Next. ( )
  AliceAnna | Aug 13, 2014 |
Okay I've finally read Mrs Dalloway and I'm happy I don't have to think of Mrs Dalloway for a long time again (well at least until I read The Hours). I really struggled through this dreary book, and although it's only just over 200 pages it felt much much longer! I am giving this 3 stars simply because I actually enjoyed the end of the book when Clarissa finally has her party. I had a sneaking suspicion that Ms Woolf wouldn't be my friend and I was right so I don't believe I'll pursue any more of her works. ( )
  pcollins | Jul 27, 2014 |
Oh, spare me. Not another English story of a pitiful high-society lady and her angst. Very dated but well written. ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |
I've been holding off reading this until my mind was clear. I think this solidifies Virginia Woolf as my favorite classic writer.

Woolf's writings have always had a very curious ability to almost speak directly to me. She's terribly witty and clever and troubled by how much people take for granted--this book felt like a love letter to the beauty of the mundane, to dreamers that can see beyond what's in front of them.

Mrs. Dalloway herself is quite a familiar character to someone like me, but without any of the annoyance. I honestly FELT for the woman, and became a little heartbroken at the relations with her daughter (and felt myself quite disliking the bitter woman that was in effect trying to "steal" her). I can see why so many people have strong feelings about the woman--rarely anyone seems to react to her indifferently.

I became just as attached to Septimus, and actually felt GLAD at what he did at the end, because the doctors were giving me fits too.

I have to read it again, because I'm still stuck in the afterglow and part of me really wants to catch EVERYTHING Mrs. Woolf says because she has a lot of things that are worth hearing.

Or maybe I'll just read To the Lighthouse and have a complete mindfuck. XD ( )
  cendri | May 30, 2014 |
Up till now I've not read much Virginia Woolf - just her essay A Room of One's Own, the unusual novel Orlando, and her short whimsical book Flush, the biography of Elizabeth Barrett Browning's spaniel. So listening to an audiobook of Mrs Dalloway was my first real exposure to the better known Woolf canon.

I loved it - the novel itself, and the audiobook experience. It seems that an audiobook is probably a very good way of experiencing a stream-of-consciousness novel - especially one with such expert and beautifully phrased narration as that by Juliet Stevenson. My mind tends to wander a bit when listening to audiobooks, especially if I'm out and about and my attention is caught by things I see around me from the bus window or while walking. This meandering of my own mind mirrored the way Woolf portrays Mrs Dalloway's and the other character's wandering thoughts and their own distractions - so although I had to press rewind frequently in order not to have missed sections, this was not annoying as it would be for a plot-driven book, but was somehow all part of the experience.

I'm not going to summarise the plot because it's not that sort of novel. But one thing that struck me was the presence of a character badly affected by shell shock. Knowing in advance only that the novel depicted a day in the life of a society hostess, I had not expected in starting to read this that there would be any particular connection to WWI (which we are all so conscious of this year at the start of the 5 year centenary commemorations). But after all, this was published only 7 years after the end of the war, and (as for all authors writing about contemporary society in this period) the world Woolf was depicting would have been full of people for whom war-time experience was fresh and raw.

Woolf's stream-of-consciousness style, taking the reader inside the minds of her characters, allows us to experience the fractured, tortured thoughts of Septimus Harding whose mind is disintegrating in response to his traumatic experiences. It also allows us to see the effect of this on those around him, from his loving, uncomprehending wife whose constant care and reassurance may yet save Septimus, to the blinkered, arrogant medical professionals whose own idea of 'care' causes only harm, however inadvertent. ( )
5 vote gennyt | May 10, 2014 |

Among Mrs. Woolf's contemporaries, there are not a few who have brought to the traditional forms of fiction, and the stated modes of writing, idioms which cannot but enlarge the resources of speech and the uses of narrative. Virginia Woolf is almost alone, however, in the intricate yet clear art of her composition. Clarissa's day, the impressions she gives and receives, the memories and recognitions which stir in her, the events which are initiated remotely and engineered almost to touching distance of the impervious Clarissa, capture in a definitive matrix the drift of thought and feeling in a period, the point of view of a class, and seem almost to indicate the strength and weakness of an entire civilization.

Woolf, Virginiaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bell, VanessaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brunt, NiniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hämäläinen, KyllikkiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Risvik, KariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scalero, AlessandraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mrs. Dalloway said she would buy the flowers herself.

For Lucy had her work cut out for her. The doors would be taken off their hinges; Rumpelmayer’s men were coming. And then, thought Clarissa Dalloway, what a morning—fresh as if issued to children on a beach.
"Mrs. Dalloway," "Mrs. Dalloway's Party," "The Mrs. Dalloway Reader," and "Mrs. Dalloway" in combination with other titles (e.g., "The Waves" or "To the Lighthouse") are each distinct works or combinations of works. Please preserve these distinctions, and don't combine any of the other works with this one. Thank you.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0156628708, Paperback)

As Clarissa Dalloway walks through London on a fine June morning, a sky-writing plane captures her attention. Crowds stare upwards to decipher the message while the plane turns and loops, leaving off one letter, picking up another. Like the airplane's swooping path, Virginia Woolf's Mrs. Dalloway follows Clarissa and those whose lives brush hers--from Peter Walsh, whom she spurned years ago, to her daughter Elizabeth, the girl's angry teacher, Doris Kilman, and war-shocked Septimus Warren Smith, who is sinking into madness.

As Mrs. Dalloway prepares for the party she is giving that evening, a series of events intrudes on her composure. Her husband is invited, without her, to lunch with Lady Bruton (who, Clarissa notes anxiously, gives the most amusing luncheons). Meanwhile, Peter Walsh appears, recently from India, to criticize and confide in her. His sudden arrival evokes memories of a distant past, the choices she made then, and her wistful friendship with Sally Seton.

Woolf then explores the relationships between women and men, and between women, as Clarissa muses, "It was something central which permeated; something warm which broke up surfaces and rippled the cold contact of man and woman, or of women together.... Her relation in the old days with Sally Seton. Had not that, after all, been love?" While Clarissa is transported to past afternoons with Sally, and as she sits mending her green dress, Warren Smith catapults desperately into his delusions. Although his troubles form a tangent to Clarissa's web, they undeniably touch it, and the strands connecting all these characters draw tighter as evening deepens. As she immerses us in each inner life, Virginia Woolf offers exquisite, painful images of the past bleeding into the present, of desire overwhelmed by society's demands. --Joannie Kervran Stangeland

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:07 -0400)

Depicts the events, thoughts, and actions of a single day in the life of Clarissa Dalloway.

Nine editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182490, 0141198508, 024195679X

Urban Romantics

Two editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909438014, 1909438022

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,123,423 books! | Top bar: Always visible