Of Other Worlds : Essays and Stories by C.…

Of Other Worlds : Essays and Stories (original 1966; edition 1975)

by C. S. Lewis, Walter Hooper (Editor)

Reflections on literature and science fiction; three stories; and the beginning chapters of a novel. Edited and with a Preface by Walter Hooper.
Member:tkenney426
Title:Of Other Worlds : Essays and Stories
Authors:C. S. Lewis
Other authors:Walter Hooper (Editor)
Info:New York : Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1975, c1966.
Tags:fiction, literary criticism, British, twentieth-century, fantasy, C. S. Lewis, the Inklings, science-fiction, short stories

Of Other Worlds: Essays and Stories by C. S. Lewis (1966)

Ex-lib Nottingham school libraries ( )
  ME_Dictionary | Mar 19, 2020 |
I was going to three-star this because each piece here can be found in either [b:On Stories: And Other Essays on Literature|242140|On Stories And Other Essays on Literature|C.S. Lewis|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1390778300s/242140.jpg|234584] or [b:The Dark Tower and Other Stories|22548|The Dark Tower and Other Stories|C.S. Lewis|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1388899227s/22548.jpg|14571577]. However, this one was published first, so four stars it is. ( )
  AmandaGStevens | Mar 2, 2019 |
I love virtually every entry in this book, especially the literary essays on stories in general, fairy stories, 3 ways of writing for children and juvenile tastes in stories. Much of this is a great complement to Tolkien's three hour Oxford lecture On Faerie Stories--which is drier but serves as a good grounding for Lewis' essays in this book
I have doubts whether Lewis would have pubbed the accompanying illustrative short stories if left to his own devices. However the book was published three years after his death and edited by Walter Hooper.
Anyway, I pretty much ignored the stories in rating the book. ( )
  SherryThompson | Jul 14, 2011 |
My review can be found here. ( )
  rmgalliher | Mar 15, 2010 |
A gem of a collection. The essays on literature and criticism are fine. Notable also for an hilarious discussion of science fiction between Brian Aldiss, Lewis and Kingsly Amis (!). Watch for the latter's monopolization of the scotch decanter. The short fragment of a story "Ten Years Later" has stayed with me for at least ten years...

"The trap I remember forever: how they got out I have long since forgotten." ( )
1 vote ben_a | Apr 18, 2009 |

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hooper, WalterEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,488,900 books! | Top bar: Always visible