Of other worlds: essays and stories by C. S.…

Of other worlds: essays and stories (original 1966; edition 1966)

by C. S. Lewis

Member:jxn
Title:Of other worlds: essays and stories
Authors:C. S. Lewis
Info:New York, Harcourt, Brace & World [1967, c1966]
Collections:Your library, printbooks

Of Other Worlds: Essays and Stories by C. S. Lewis (1966)

I love virtually every entry in this book, especially the literary essays on stories in general, fairy stories, 3 ways of writing for children and juvenile tastes in stories. Much of this is a great complement to Tolkien's three hour Oxford lecture On Faerie Stories--which is drier but serves as a good grounding for Lewis' essays in this book
I have doubts whether Lewis would have pubbed the accompanying illustrative short stories if left to his own devices. However the book was published three years after his death and edited by Walter Hooper.
Anyway, I pretty much ignored the stories in rating the book. ( )
  SherryThompson | Jul 14, 2011 |
My review can be found here. ( )
  rmgalliher | Mar 15, 2010 |
A gem of a collection. The essays on literature and criticism are fine. Notable also for an hilarious discussion of science fiction between Brian Aldiss, Lewis and Kingsly Amis (!). Watch for the latter's monopolization of the scotch decanter. The short fragment of a story "Ten Years Later" has stayed with me for at least ten years...

"The trap I remember forever: how they got out I have long since forgotten." ( )
1 vote ben_a | Apr 18, 2009 |
A grab bag of Lewis's writings about science fiction and story telling, plus three (minor) short stories and the fragments of his unfinished last novel. My review is at http://stromata.tripod.com/id135.htm ( )
  TomVeal | Jul 1, 2006 |

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hooper, WalterEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Reflections on literature and science fiction; three stories; and the beginning chapters of a novel. Edited and with a Preface by Walter Hooper.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:31 -0400)

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,982,910 books! | Top bar: Always visible