When Did My Life Become a Game of Twister?…

When Did My Life Become a Game of Twister? (edition 2007)

by Mary Pierce

141988,592 (4)None
Member:kms7valley
Title:When Did My Life Become a Game of Twister?
Authors:Mary Pierce
Info:Zondervan (2007), Paperback, 237 pages
Tags:Christian Living, Women, Humor

When Did My Life Become a Game of Twister? by Mary Pierce

Hey – I thought this was a humour title! The categorization provided on the back of the book is somewhat more accurate: Religion/Christian Life/Women’s Issues. If I were providing categorization I would include Devotional as an apt description. Author Mary Pierce examines the many twists and turns that women experience throughout life, comparing them with a game of “Twister” where the players eventually find themselves wound into knots. When Did My Life Become a Game of Twister? is divided into 23 devotional-length chapters. Studies from Pierce’s own life are cleverly tied together to illustrate a theme in each chapter; points to ponder (study questions) are provided at the end of the chapter to provide further delving and the devotional aspect of this title. While each chapter can be read rapidly, making this a quick read, the insights shared will benefit from a deeper, slower re-reading while working through the questions.

As I mentioned, much emphasis has been placed upon Pierce’s comedic abilities. While I appreciated her brutal honesty and the insights she shared into her own life, I didn’t laugh often. There was the odd chuckle and snicker, but humour is not the strength or lifeblood of this title. Perhaps if I were a more “typical” woman I would have been more amused. I couldn’t commiserate with Pierce’s nightly facial cleansing rituals and other elaborate personal care rituals — makeup, manicures etc. — because I don’t participate in these sorts of activities. What I could relate to though were her struggles, her doubts and her fears, her feeling that some days she might lose it. Haven’t we all been there? I could definitely relate to her needing a new “ati-toot” as then preschool aged daughter phrased it. I know I have moments when I need a new “ati-toot” as well, don’t we all! It is her all too real and relevant issues that are shared from struggles that we can relate to. Many of her weaknesses and failings are those that I myself share and need to work through.

Through her own aggressive soul-baring we can see that in some cases Pierce has been too hasty to go her own way rather than listening to Jesus on the important decisions in life - a common human failing we are all guilty of at times. She is at times too quick to suggest decisions that the Bible does not support, such as divorce. When dispensing Christian advice I feel a more conservative, preventative approach would be better rather than simply recommending, “get out.”

Pierce provides a valuable decision making process/life issues worksheet that I am hanging on to for future study and reference. She emphasizes the importance of turning to scripture and to Jesus to help us resolve our difficulties, to give us guidance and direction. I believe that this guideline for working through our “stuff” is worth the purchase price of the book alone, providing a clear and concrete method of examining our situation and seeking a way through it – untwisting us, as it were.

On first glance When Did My Life Become a Game of Twister appears light and fluffy with little substance, but don’t let appearances fool you. While I was drawn in by the casual and carefree approach I soon find myself learning from a woman who has been there, and done that. I wonder if Pierce carefully planned this reverse mirage effect. It looks as though nothing is there, but when you get closer you find a wealth of rich insight carefully hidden within the pages. ( )
  jenniferbogart | Jul 31, 2008 |

'Right foot, red!' Bad hair day. 'Left hand, yellow!' You're caught in a traffic jam---or a tragedy. Once upon a time you had the game of life all planned. Your dreams would come true and everyone would live happily ever after. So when did life become a game of Twister? Someone else is spinning the dial, calling the shots ... and today, hassles and heartaches have you twisted like a pretzel physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. Ouch! Take a time-out from all your running, working, caring, and trying to keep it all together, and sit down for a grin break that will help untwist you. Mary Pierce offers laughter and wisdom for women everywhere. God cares about all of us who are trapped in the Twister game of life. He cares about you. And he wants to give you a better outlook and new moves that will free you up inside and out. Includes discussion questions at the end of each chapter.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:35 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,324,057 books! | Top bar: Always visible