The Meeting of the Waters (The Watchers, 1)…

The Meeting of the Waters (The Watchers, 1) (edition 2003)

by Caiseal Mor

Member:Severn
Title:The Meeting of the Waters (The Watchers, 1)
Authors:Caiseal Mor
Info:Earthlight
Rating:***
Tags:Speculative Fiction, Fantasy, Celtic Fantasy, Myths and Legends, To Trade

The Meeting of the Waters : Book One of The Watchers by Caiseal Mor

Many authors have attempted to grapple with Irish mythology and transform it into something lucrative for today's market; there seems to be a whole sub-genre of Celtic Mist fantasy, which no doubt sells well among the 60 million strong Irish diaspora, with a subsidiary market among the smaller (but probably on average more highbrow) Pagan community. I blame Marion Zimmer Bradley, myself; her Mists of Avalon is taken almost as holy writ in some quarters. (Perhaps Robin of Sherwood should take some responsibility too.)

Caiseal Mór, an Irish Australian writer, has chosen not to take the tried and tested tropes of Cuchulain or Finn MacCool, but instead tries here to inject some life into the obscure story of the arrival of the Celts in an island populated by the Fir Bolgs and the Tuatha de Danaan. (Julian May, of course, plundered this myth much more memorably in her Saga of the Exiles.) The story revolves around the royal household of the last Fir Bolg king, pushed by the druids and bards into allying with his traditional enemies against the invaders, with the sinister supernatural Watchers (who are the author's own invention) trying to sow dissension and chaos.

It's a pleasant read, but not really profound. It's also too long, with too much dialogue and not enough action. The dialogue is a bit clunky as well; selecting a page at random I find characters stating, raging, laughing, telling, frowning, confessing and demanding in direct speech, but without actually saying anything. The characters are nicely sketched, though the means and motivation of the villains remain unclear, and the effectiveness of magic seems entirely dependent on the needs of the plot.

What I miss most in Mór's work is a real sense of place. Although the book is supposedly set in what is now County Clare, which has a distinctive limestone terrain, there is barely a mention of the physical surroundings -- enough to set each scene and no more; it feels like a series of close-range snapshots rather than a landscape. What geography there is seems rather arbitrary. One crucial scene takes place in a forest that just happened to be in the way -- an unnamed forest, of which we have not previously heard, though within easy walking distance of our central characters' home.

Anyway, this is the first book of the author's second trilogy, so there is clearly a market out there for him. I'm afraid I don't think I am a likely future reader myself. ( )
  nwhyte | Oct 20, 2007 |
Many authors have attempted to grapple with Irish mythology and transform it into something lucrative for today's market; there seems to be a whole sub-genre of Celtic Mist fantasy - Marion Zimmer Bradley's 'Mists of Avalon' is in my mind one of the most successful.

Caiseal Mór, an Irish Australian writer, has chosen not to take the tried and tested tales of Cuchulain or Finn MacCool, but instead tries here to inject some life into the obscure story of the arrival of the Celts in an island populated by the Fir Bolgs and the Tuatha de Danaan. (Julian May plundered this myth much more memorably in her 'Saga of the Exiles'.)

It did not capture me as other works by this author have; I'll see how I feel after reading the next book in the trilogy. ( )
  Jawin | Jun 24, 2007 |

Caiseal Morprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gilbert, YvonneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my Guardian Angel
I must warn you from the outset.

In Caiseal Mor's bestselling THE CIRCLE AND THE CROSS, tales of the Faerie realm, passed down from generation to generation, had become the stuff of legend. But there was a time when the Faerie folk, the Tautha De Danaan and the Fir-Bolg, still walked the earth as mortals and called their homeland Innisfail. In a small barren area to the west of Innisfail, Brocan, the last king of the Fir-Bolg, is locked in bitter dispute with King Cecht of the Danaans. His once powerful people are gradually abandoning their time-honoured traditions, beguiled by the ways of the Danaans. Driven by a hatred generations old, King Brocan, stubbornly resists all change, determined to preserve the ancient ways. But his struggles are destined to be in vain. Sailing for Innisfail's bountiful shores are invaders with weapons and skills so powerful that nor even the Druids' magical songs can keep them at bay: the Gaedhals. The Druid Assembly has ordered the Fir-Bolg to unite with the Danaans against the coming of these invaders. Dalan, the Brehon, is sent to enforce their edict. But this learned Druid is beginning to suspect that a threat greater still than the marauding foreigners hangs over the land. A powerful and determined adversary has been roused from lethargy to descend on the people of Innisfail - a force conceived in evil and set upon revenge.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:49 -0400)

"In Caiseal Mors bestselling The Circle and the Cross, tales of the Faerie realm, passed down from generation to generation, had become the stuff of legend. But there was a time when the Faerie folk, the Tautha De Danaan and the Fir-Bolg, still walked the earth as mortals and called their homeland Innisfail." "In a small barren area to the west of Innisfail, Brocan, the last King of the Fir-Bolg, is locked in bitter dispute with King Cecht of the Danaans. His once powerful people are gradually abandoning their time-honoured traditions, beguiled by the ways of the Danaans. Driven by a hatred generations old, King Brocan stubbornly resists all change, determined to preserve the ancient ways. But his struggles are destined to be in vain. Sailing for Innisfails bountiful shores are invaders with weapons and skills so powerful that nor even the Druids magical songs can keep them at bay: the Gaedhals." "The Druid Assembly has ordered the Fir-Bolg to unite with the Danaans against the coming of these invaders. Dalan, the Brehon, is sent to enforce their edict. But this learned Druid is beginning to suspect that a threat greater still than the marauding foreigners hangs over the land. A powerful and determined adversary has been roused from lethargy to descend on the people of Innisfail - a force conceived in evil and set upon revenge."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,708,893 books! | Top bar: Always visible