Bruno, Chief of Police by Martin Walker

Bruno, Chief of Police (2008)

by Martin Walker

English (54)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  All (57)
Young Benoît Courrèges (called Bruno), orphan, former military, is chief of police of the tiny, ancient commune of St. Denis in Périgueux in southwestern France. He gives tennis and rugby lessons, raises chickens, cooks, gardens, does carpentry, out-maneuvers the E.U.,,doesn't wear his police belt and has never used his gun on duty. He's investigating his first murder case.

Police procedural in a glorious setting, with a likeable, laid-back but obviously competent, small-town cop. Really interesting immersion in issues of French culture such as E.U. regulations, the Front National, and the massive immigration from Arab countries, with plenty of historical perspective. But everything stops for a gourmet meal. Terrific first entry in the Bruno Courrèges series. ( )
  beaujoe | Jun 17, 2018 |
Bruno, Chief of Police. Martin Walker. 2008. Kim gave me this as she thought I’ve given it to her! I hadn’t and I am glad she found it. What an ideal character: former soldier who loves the quiet life in a small French town in Southwestern France. He makes his own wine and is a great cook! He rarely even carries his gun, but helps local farmers avoid the European Union taxes and mediates spats between neighbors until a WW II vet from Algeria who fought for France is found viciously murdered. The national police come down to help, but also to hinder the investigation. A beautiful young police woman becomes more than a help! I thoroughly enjoyed this and will read others in the series. I am not sure I’d read others in the series if they didn’t take place in France. It not much of a mystery and not much excitement, but oh, I love it because of all the French stuff! ( )
  judithrs | May 6, 2018 |
#1 Bruno series

This might be my favourite mystery series of all time. This, and subsequent books in the series, are set Dordogne, in southern France about 100 km (60 miles) from where my husband & I stayed on vacation in 2014. We did, indeed, take a couple of day trips into Bruno’s territory, before I ever met Bruno.

Part of what I love about this series is the atmosphere – the life and ways of modern French villages, being bought out by wealthy foreigners (chiefly British), but valuing their heritage, including their cooking.

But Walker does more than describe the mouth-watering foods. He builds a likeable but all-too-human character in Bruno, and lays out a mystery that is intelligent and insightful and demonstrates the direct effect of history on the present.

Thank you to Cathy at Kittling:Books for the recommendation. The Kindle version is less than $1 on both Amazon.com & Amazon.ca. Sorry – it doesn’t seem to be available on .uk or .au

If you have the least interest in France or in good mystery, you owe it to yourself to try at least this first book in the series.

5 stars ( )
  ParadisePorch | Mar 21, 2018 |
Gift from Emily
  BiblioReader | Dec 9, 2017 |
I read this book, because of a very strong recommendation from someone I know. But I would not recommend this to anyone else, and I don't intend to read any more in this series. The author describes everything in excruciating detail, at the expense of a plot. I was 3/4 of the way through, before I finally got interested in the story, and that's far too long to wait. ( )
  LaurieGienapp | Dec 8, 2017 |
For Pierrot
On a bright May morning, so early that the last of the mist was still lingering low over a bend in the Vezere River, a white van drew to a halt on the ridge that overlooked the small French town.
Die Vergangenheit ist nie wirklich vergangen und vielleicht sogar heute noch tödlich.

Meet Benoit Courreges, affectionately named Bruno, chief of police in a small village in the South of France where the rituals of the cafe still rule. A former soldier, Bruno has embraced the slow rhythms of country life. But the murder of an elderly North African who fought in the French army galvanizes his attention: the man had a swastika carved into his chest. When a visiting scholar helps untangle the dead man's past, Bruno's suspicions turn toward a motive more complex than hate, back to a tortured period of French history.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,238,577 books! | Top bar: Always visible