Paradise Lost by John Milton

Paradise Lost (1667)

by John Milton

Series: Milton's Paradise (1)

8,51169362 (3.98)4 / 296
    The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri (Voracious_Reader)
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (Jannes)
    Jannes: Looking for a children's series ispired by Milton, you say? Well then, look no further!

English (65)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All (69)
I wasn't exactly sure what I was getting myself into, but this telling of the creation and the expulsion of Adam and Eve from Paradise was entertaining even though the writing was a bit different from what I am used to.
I found it amusing that according to Milton Sin and Death were the offspring of Satan and that Chaos' consort is Night with Confusion and Discord along for the ride.

The manner of using words as names for creatures was very inventive.
Rarely, do I like Classics this old, but this one worked f or me. ( )
  cyderry | Nov 21, 2016 |
A great, and intensely thought provoking piece. More so in our day and age.
  Shadow494 | Jun 20, 2016 |
Okay, I only read part of it, and it was for college. It was incredibly well written and entertaining. My only issue is the complete lack of biblical credibility. It's LOOSELY based on the three little chapters that it covers in the Bible and takes A LOT of artistic license. In doing so, it tells a few outright lies.

I take comfort in that I doubt anyone takes their biblical knowledge from it. ( )
  Calavari | Jun 7, 2016 |
I read this in college and really enjoyed it.  But, I think that was because I had a wonderful professor who loved Milton and her energy was infectious.  Reading it now, I found it very misogynistic. The poetry was beautiful and I enjoyed the metaphors, but I couldn't take Milton's contempt against women very easily.  Oh well, I guess I won't be continuing on with Paradise Regained. ( )
  jguidry | May 31, 2016 |
I wanted to give this review both more and less than I have attributed to it. Paradise Lost is a quintessential book for understanding the later romantics who worked outside the tradition of men like Wordsworth and beat the trail towards modernism with the likes of Blake and Shelley. Due to this I agree with David Hawkes that it is far more than a book of “dead ideas.” Yet this is probably the ONLY thing that I agree with on Hawkes’ account. I highly recommend reading an edition not annotated by this man. Never before have I come across such a slanted and biased editor. His entire annotation is as if a defense of his own interpretation, and is replete with such a gross abuse of convoluted philosophical jargon that does not even remain consistent throughout the work. Even worse, he blatantly disregards passages that outright contradict his conviction in the author’s desire to having written a “third testament.” Willingly or not, Milton’s self aggrandized conception of what he is doing betrays itself in his very attempt to reconcile Christian morality with Protestant reformation. It is in fact just this which writers such as Shelley and Byron find in it its import, for by portraying Satan as he does, he inadvertently makes of him a modernist hero.
It is Milton’s profundity (which cannot be denied) which reveals this to us. This credit should not be denied him. Without it, the blatant conflagration between dualities would not shine forth as bright as they do and as such rival the fecund heavenly rhetoric (which ironically Hawkes chastises while doing the same himself). Please do read this book. But if it all possible, avoid Hawkes’ slant when forming your own opinion; his is almost downright shameful and lends credence to those criticisms that accuse this meritorious book of its contemporary superfluity.
  PhilSroka | Apr 12, 2016 |

Kastan, David ScottEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mack, MaynardEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pullman, PhilipIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wain, JohnIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Poema che si propone la «giustificazione all'uomo delle azioni del Signore», Paradiso perduto usa la forma drammatica per dimostrare che Adamo ed Eva furono puniti perché peccarono, scegliendo deliberatamente il Male. Uniti nella colpa e nell'implacabile sentenza divina, furono cacciati dall'Eden sulla terra: un luogo ignoto nel quale sono destinati a vivere nell'infelicità. Pur nella drammaticità del tema, le pagine del Paradiso perduto vivono di delicatissime sfumature e di un senso idillico e musicale che ne fanno ancora oggi un'opera di straordinario fascino.
(piopas)
Important epic
answering the big question:
"Do angels have sex?"
(LeBoeuf)

In Paradise Lost, Milton produced a poem of epic scale, conjuring up a vast, awe-inspiring cosmos and ranging across huge tracts of space and time. And yet, in putting a charismatic Satan and naked Adam and Eve at the centre of this story, he also created an intensely human tragedy on the Fall of Man. Written when Milton was in his fifties - blind, bitterly disappointed by the Restoration and briefly in danger of execution—Paradise Lost has an apparent ambivalence towards authority which has led to intense debate about whether it manages to "justify the ways of God to men", or exposes the cruelty of Christianity.

@MorningStarlet Dressed as a snake. She’s going for it . . . Yes! She ate the forbidden apple! Guess God wasn’t paying attention. Omniscient, hah

From Twitterature: The World's Greatest Books in Twenty Tweets or Less

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:32 -0400)

Milton's epic poem about the Creation and the Fall, complete with notes discussing his use of language and blank verse.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,155,243 books! | Top bar: Always visible