Paradise Lost by John Milton

Paradise Lost (original 1667; edition 2012)

by John Milton

Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 146 pages
Collections:Your library, Owned as Printed Book, Did Not Finish
Rating:***
Tags:fantasy

Paradise Lost by John Milton (1667)

The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri (Voracious_Reader)
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (Jannes)
    Jannes: Looking for a children's series ispired by Milton, you say? Well then, look no further!

English (63)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (67)
A great, and intensely thought provoking piece. More so in our day and age.
  Shadow494 | Jun 20, 2016 |
Okay, I only read part of it, and it was for college. It was incredibly well written and entertaining. My only issue is the complete lack of biblical credibility. It's LOOSELY based on the three little chapters that it covers in the Bible and takes A LOT of artistic license. In doing so, it tells a few outright lies.

I take comfort in that I doubt anyone takes their biblical knowledge from it. ( )
  Calavari | Jun 7, 2016 |
I read this in college and really enjoyed it.  But, I think that was because I had a wonderful professor who loved Milton and her energy was infectious.  Reading it now, I found it very misogynistic. The poetry was beautiful and I enjoyed the metaphors, but I couldn't take Milton's contempt against women very easily.  Oh well, I guess I won't be continuing on with Paradise Regained. ( )
  jguidry | May 31, 2016 |
I wanted to give this review both more and less than I have attributed to it. Paradise Lost is a quintessential book for understanding the later romantics who worked outside the tradition of men like Wordsworth and beat the trail towards modernism with the likes of Blake and Shelley. Due to this I agree with David Hawkes that it is far more than a book of “dead ideas.” Yet this is probably the ONLY thing that I agree with on Hawkes’ account. I highly recommend reading an edition not annotated by this man. Never before have I come across such a slanted and biased editor. His entire annotation is as if a defense of his own interpretation, and is replete with such a gross abuse of convoluted philosophical jargon that does not even remain consistent throughout the work. Even worse, he blatantly disregards passages that outright contradict his conviction in the author’s desire to having written a “third testament.” Willingly or not, Milton’s self aggrandized conception of what he is doing betrays itself in his very attempt to reconcile Christian morality with Protestant reformation. It is in fact just this which writers such as Shelley and Byron find in it its import, for by portraying Satan as he does, he inadvertently makes of him a modernist hero.
It is Milton’s profundity (which cannot be denied) which reveals this to us. This credit should not be denied him. Without it, the blatant conflagration between dualities would not shine forth as bright as they do and as such rival the fecund heavenly rhetoric (which ironically Hawkes chastises while doing the same himself). Please do read this book. But if it all possible, avoid Hawkes’ slant when forming your own opinion; his is almost downright shameful and lends credence to those criticisms that accuse this meritorious book of its contemporary superfluity.
  PhilSroka | Apr 12, 2016 |
Have you ever read a book because you read about it in another book?

"Paradise Lost" is Jace Wayland's favorite book in City of Bones. And I absolutely loved The Mortal Instruments series, so I decided to get this book and give it a go. I wanted to read what Cassandra Clare found so appealing in this book.
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |

Hawkes, DavidEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hughes, Merritt YerkesEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mack, MaynardEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wain, JohnIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paradise Lost, by John Milton, is part of the Barnes & Noble Classics series, which offers quality editions at affordable prices to the student and the general reader, including new scholarship, thoughtful design, and pages of carefully crafted extras. Here are some of the remarkable features of Barnes & Noble Classics:
  • New introductions commissioned from today's top writers and scholars
  • Biographies of the authors
  • Chronologies of contemporary historical, biographical, and cultural events
  • Footnotes and endnotes
  • Selective discussions of imitations, parodies, poems, books, plays, paintings, operas, statuary, and films inspired by the work
  • Comments by other famous authors
  • Study questions to challenge the reader's viewpoints and expectations
  • Bibliographies for further reading
  • Indices and Glossaries, when appropriate
All editions are beautifully designed and are printed to superior specifications; some include illustrations of historical interest. Barnes & Noble Classics pulls together a constellation of influences—biographical, historical, and literary—to enrich each reader's understanding of these enduring works.

As a young student, John Milton fantasized about bringing the poetic elocution of Homer and Virgil to the English language. Milton realized this dream with his graceful, sonorous Paradise Lost, now considered the most influential epic poem in English literature.
A retelling of the biblical story of mankind’s fall from grace, Milton’s epic opens shortly after the dramatic expulsion of Satan and his army of angels from Heaven. What follows is a cosmic battle between good and evil that ranges across vast, splendid tracts of time and space, from the wild abyss of Chaos and the fiery lake of Hell to the Gate of Heaven and God’s newly created paradise, the Garden of Eden. Controversy still swirls around Milton’s magnificent and sympathetic characterization of Satan, a portrait so compelling that many critics have maintained that he is the true hero of the story.

David Hawkes is Associate Professor of English at Lehigh University. His books include Idols of the Marketplace (2001) and Ideology (second edition, 2003), and he has contributed articles to The Nation, the Times Literary Supplement, and the Journal of the History of Ideas.

Important epic
answering the big question:
"Do angels have sex?"
(LeBoeuf)

In Paradise Lost, Milton produced a poem of epic scale, conjuring up a vast, awe-inspiring cosmos and ranging across huge tracts of space and time. And yet, in putting a charismatic Satan and naked Adam and Eve at the centre of this story, he also created an intensely human tragedy on the Fall of Man. Written when Milton was in his fifties - blind, bitterly disappointed by the Restoration and briefly in danger of execution—Paradise Lost has an apparent ambivalence towards authority which has led to intense debate about whether it manages to "justify the ways of God to men", or exposes the cruelty of Christianity.

@MorningStarlet Dressed as a snake. She’s going for it . . . Yes! She ate the forbidden apple! Guess God wasn’t paying attention. Omniscient, hah

From Twitterature: The World's Greatest Books in Twenty Tweets or Less

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:32 -0400)

Milton's epic poem about the Creation and the Fall, complete with notes discussing his use of language and blank verse.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,486,084 books! | Top bar: Always visible