Raffles: The Amateur Cracksman (Wordsworth…

Raffles: The Amateur Cracksman (Wordsworth Classics) (edition 1994)

by E. W. Hornung

Series: Raffles (1)

Member:Roycrofter
Title:Raffles: The Amateur Cracksman (Wordsworth Classics)
Authors:E. W. Hornung
Info:Wordsworth Editions, Edition: First Thus, Paperback
Collections:Read and passed on
Rating:***1/2

Raffles: The Amateur Cracksman by E. W. Hornung

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (majkia)
    majkia: Although completely different settings, still the same lighthearted thievery going on.

"I say, Bunny. The Count has a stone of incomparable worth, the color of a Peacock's crown. Shall we attempt it tonight?"
"Surely, you must be joking. Won't his man impede us? He will not be attending the Ball at Hamptons with him, after all. I must say, you do take unwarranted risks."
Yeah, yeah. I know. Boring yet pretentious. The greatest Cricketer of the age a cat burglar. What nonsense. What rot. Don't bother. Good, it's not. ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |
Not quite what I was expecting - given their age (and the contemporary novelty of the theme) they are remarkably tightly written. Very much in the style of Sherlock Holmes, although the individual stories have less depth. ( )
  rlangston | Jun 11, 2014 |
A series of short stories told in a continuous narrative about Raffles - the thief who is a great Cricketeer - and his pal, Bunny. Interesting in that they are told from the viewpoint of the thief. ( )
  stuart10er | Nov 5, 2013 |
I don't care for this entire body of work. The Gentleman thug is best handled by Leslie Charteris and Simon Templar, in my opinion. But Raffles and his buddy Bunny are referred to by some. His heroic death in South Africa should be used by someone else in a fantasy time travel story. Hmmm.... ( )
  DinadansFriend | Sep 26, 2013 |
Nothing particularly wrong with this but it just didn't appeal to me in the end. ( )
  ElaineRuss | Sep 23, 2013 |

E. W. Hornungprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Green, Richard LancelynEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
TO
A.C.D.
THIS FORM OF FLATTERY
IT WAS ABOUT HALF-PAST TWELVE when I returned to the Albany as a last desperate resort. (The Ides of March)
One of the great merits of The Amateur Cracksman is that it can be read for enjoyment without the need for an introduction or for any of the scholarly apparatus which its classic status deserves. (Introduction)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0141439335, Mass Market Paperback)

The Ides of March/ A Costume Piece/ Gentlemen and Players/ Le Premier Pas/ Wilful Murder/ Nine Points of the Law/ The Return Match/ The Gift of the Emperor In these stories, Raffles, the public-school gentleman, mixes his aptitude for cricket with his passion for crime. Here we see Raffles stealing from the nouveau riche and outwitting the law, thieving diamonds and bowling like a demon, all with the help of his accomplice and ex-fag Bunny.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:13 -0400)

In these stories, Raffles, the public-school gentleman, mixes his aptitude for cricket with his passion for crime. Here we see Raffles stealing from the nouveau riches and outwitting the law, thieving diamonds and bowling like a demon, all with the help of his accomplice and ex-fag Bunny.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,712,262 books! | Top bar: Always visible