Rama revealed by Arthur C. Clarke

Rama revealed (original 1993; edition 1995)

by Arthur C. Clarke

Member:GVassmer
Title:Rama revealed
Authors:Arthur C. Clarke
Info:New York : Bantam, 1995.
Tags:SFF

Rama Revealed by Arthur C. Clarke (1993)

Jeez, what a long book. And like many books of its size, it vacillated between "well, that's interesting" and "must force myself to finish". Yet, even the interesting parts were diminished by the preachy morality play. I repeat an earlier observance: men should not presume to write a story from a woman's perspective. At least not men hamstrung by pulp stereotyping. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
5 ( )
  ronchan | Nov 14, 2016 |
This is not a good ending to an otherwise interesting series. The writing is flat, and the great Reveal is very disappointing. This a long way from the initial novel, and a good way below it. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Sep 18, 2013 |
In the final book of the Clarke/Lee Rama Saga we finally know what's the plan behind the Rama, the Node, who are the masterminds behind it all... Too much religious crap indeed on the final pages IMHO and it's not worthy of the name and work of Clarke, but the whole story's interesting and exciting to read once... ( )
  TheCrow2 | Jan 20, 2012 |
Eh. The first book of the series was nice, short and sweet and left me wanting more. The second book (Rama II) had some really interesting characters and settings.

However, Gardens of Rama and this book both felt long and fell short of expectations. There were some interesting parts, but it felt like it was rushed and not edited heavily enough. There also were a number of loose threads that just never really felt explained. (Was the orange Avian a clone? Did the octospiders already collect them? Why were there humans in the zoo? Which was the species in danger of extinction (Humans? Sessiles?)

The occurrences on the colonies also felt like a bit of a forced morality play.

Enough compelling stuff that I kept reading, but I'm not really sure why. Some good characters, some boring ones. A nice feel of the main character getting older and older, which reminded me a bit of some older classics like Les Misérables.

I'd probably had liked this book more if I had been younger perhaps. ( )
  JonathanGorman | Aug 21, 2011 |
Only readers who are genuinely curious about the nature of the Rama enterprise and the mysterious intelligences behind it will find reason to struggle through this inert narrative.
added by stephmo | editNew York Times, Gerald Jonas (Mar 14, 1994)

Arthur C. Clarkeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lee, Gentrymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Cipriano, EllenDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Corley, BobCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, Jamie S. WarrenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Made it through book four.
So, now I know the secret.
Forty-two it ain't.
(osbaldistone)

On its mysterious voyage through interstellar space, a massive alien starship carries its human passengers to the end of a generations-long odyssey. But the great experiment designed by the Ramans has failed, and Rama III has become a battleground. Fleeing a tyrant, a band of humans ventures into the nether regions of the ship, where they encounter an emerald-doomed lair ruled by the fabulously advanced octospiders. As the octospiders lure the humans deeper into their domain, the humans must decide whether the creatures are their allies of enemies. All the while, Rama III continues its inexplorable journey towards the node, where the climax of their voyage awaits the stunning revelation of the true identity of the beings behind this glittering trek across the cosmos.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:23 -0400)

A massive alien starship carries its human passengers to the end of their generations-long odyssey and toward an epic confrontation with the mysterious Ramans.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,463,371 books! | Top bar: Always visible