Casi sepolti: romanzo by Ian Rankin

Casi sepolti: romanzo (original 2001; edition 2005)

by Ian Rankin, Anna Rusconi

Info:Milano, Longanesi, [2005]
Collections:Read From Library
Rating:***
Tags:Giallo

Resurrection Men by Ian Rankin (2001)

English (33)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All (37)
I've liked Ian Rankin's other Rebus books. I even like the TV shows, both the one with the younger Rebus and the one with the older Rebus. For some reason, though, I just couldn't get into this one. The pacing seemed slow and I had a difficult time keeping track of who was who. ( )
  devorah_fox | Jan 10, 2017 |
Rebus has crossed the line one time too many. This time, he's chucked a mug of tea at his DCS during an inquiry briefing and has been sent to a refresher course at Tulliallan, the police college, along with several other cops who need shaping up or shipping out. The cops are tasked with working together as a team on an unsolved case... but instead of the standard case that Tulliallan uses for this type of group, the case is one in which two of the participants were directly involved. What's up with that? Is there something more sinister afoot? Will Rebus be able to resurrect his career?

It took me a while to get into this one, possibly because the copy I had out from the library was rather beat-up and felt a little grimy. But once I had buckled down to read it (helped by someone placing a hold on it, meaning I couldn't renew it), it sucked me right in. In addition to the Rebus thread, I found the parts with Siobhan, Templer and a Dundee cop named Heatherington very interesting, because they showed how women at different levels of the force dealt with the job. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Oct 21, 2016 |
I was told this was a little different from other Rebus mysteries, so as this is the only one I've read so far, take it with a grain of salt?
I really liked the way the while story was nailed to a place and time: the old case from 1995 was 6 years old, and there were references to the time, the news, the neighborhoods, the passage of that time-- all very well done.
The story itself felt a bit of a muddle by the end, since there was so much doubt and conniving that I wasn't sure who'd crossed whom, and I was more concerned with following the fast pace than with understanding the veiled references of revenge or whatever. But maybe that's my reading style more than the author's intent.
A good read, an entertaining trip to Edinb'ro', and an intro to one of the most popular police inspectors around... ( )
  MargaretPinardAuthor | May 23, 2015 |
This is a good typical Rebus novel never fails to impress
Rebus is sent to rehab for bad coppers he needs to uncover what 3 other bad boy Polis men are up too.
Clever book and Rebus solves the case in the end. The case is the murder of an Edinburgh Art dealer. ( )
  Daftboy1 | Jan 20, 2015 |
This is probably not my favourite Rebus – it seems a bit drawn out to me – which is probably an unfair statement to make. Still, it must be difficult to avoid repetition when you’ve a whole series with the same character and, as Rankin keeps adding, a second character in Siobhan who’s in the same mould as Rebus – hence the focus all the time on music tracks and drinks.

I guess as well, coming from reading a le Carré, I had higher expectations of this book which trots out some truly tired ideas about policing, such as the impossibility of stable, predicable relationships with partners outside work. Still, Rankin does have a fluent style. I’d say this is the sort of book for a long plane trip, helping you to while away the time even if all too often you come back to the way you’ve not enough leg room and you’ve still five hours to go. ( )
  evening | Oct 19, 2014 |
Resurrection Men twists and turns its way to a conclusion which is both predictable and unpredictable. Judging by the way the novel has zoomed to the top of the bestseller list, devotees are far from tired of Rebus and his dreadful taste in music and clothes. Rankin is unquestionably an ingenious plotter, but this one seems more about means than end. The line about polite Edinburgh hiding a nasty interior was a wee bit hackneyed when Rebus first preached it. The city is a cleaner place for his efforts; now it is time to do something about these drink-driving policemen.
added by geocroc | editThe Guardian, James Campbell (Jan 26, 2002)

"All men have secrets…"

—The Smiths, "What Difference Does It Make?"

"Durate et vosmet rebus servate secundis"

—Aeneid, I, 207
'All men have secrets...'
(The Siths, ' What Difference Does it Make?')
Durate et vosmet rebus servate secundis (Aeneid, I, 207)
"Then why are you here?"

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316608491, Mass Market Paperback)

Like Edinburgh inspector John Rebus, the resurrection men of the title are treading on thin ice--they've all been sent to a short course at the Scottish Police College because they've failed in some way, generally "an issue with authority." Rebus has been known to have issues of that nature before, which only boosts his credibility with the other cops in attendance, suspected by their bosses of being on the wrong side of the fence, on the take, or even guilty of murder on several previous occasions. The dour Inspector's agenda aims to bring the higher-ups proof of the so-called Wild Bunch's nefarious activities; in the process, his own conduct in the old case he and his college classmates must rework and revisit comes under scrutiny. A solid police procedural whose protagonist, the hero of 14 other titles in this internationally acclaimed series, continues to grow on readers who are just discovering him. --Jane Adams

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:06 -0400)

Packed off to the remote Scottish Police College for a lesson in teamwork -- after hurling a mug in his supervisor's face -- Inspector John Rebus finds himself in a snake pit. Rebus must work undercover on a drug heist that involves his classmates, known as the Resurrection Men.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,253,398 books! | Top bar: Always visible