Rite of Passage by Alexei Panshin

Rite of Passage (1968)

by Alexei Panshin

7341912,734 (3.82)43

Excellent story. I loved the girl's insights as she matured - for example that every hero has at his back a 'spear carrier' (that's red shirt" for Star Trek fans) but that nonetheless those people are not 'diposable' to their families & their dreams. Short but very rich - lots of ideas, complex characters & world, even the plot was really more than just a 'coming-of-age.' Thank you so much to the bookcrossing member who shared it with me." ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This brings me up to 89% done with Reading The Nebula Award Winners.

I'm really sorry I somehow missed reading this book when I was a kid. I would have loved it when I was a pre-teen. As it was, I liked it, but it's very definitely a coming of age story with an Introduction to Ethics woven in. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
I remember being a fan of the book many years ago when I read it as a youngster. Now rereading it in my 50s I find it is still powerful and enjoyable to me.

Certainly the story reads as rather immature in tone and characterization. These aspects are appropriate since the main character/narrator is 13 years old in the story.

Some people might find the plot development rather slow. We spend most of the book following Mia as she lives a year of her life in the massive spaceship that is her home. It is only in the last 1/4 of the book that she lands on planets and begins her rite of passage.

Another aspect that some readers will not like is the fact that Mia does not get her way. Many events around her cause Mia unhappiness. There is a major plot development in the final pages that shock Mia and leave her dissatisfied and unhappy. I think these plot points are useful because life for young people is not a series of wish fulfillments that give the young people everything they want. Adults in the world have the power to make decisions that young people disagree with and leave many young people angry and wanting change. This is the way the world is and should be in YA fiction also.

I enjoyed this book and recommend it to readers who can handle a slow pace aimed at young teens. ( )
  superant | Sep 22, 2014 |
If memory serves I first read this as it was in my Eng lit class at high school. Not a half bad story. Not this edition, cannot in fact recall the edition I read. ( )
  Traveller1 | Mar 30, 2013 |
This is a wonderfully presented story of a young girl coming of age -- but out in space, not here and now, so there are unique situations of character growth, of joy and tragedy that the author handles well. ( )
  jennorthcoast | Nov 21, 2012 |

Taylor, GeoffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Uherčík, ZdeněkTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodroffe, PatrickCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
SONNET 94

They that have pow'r to hurt and will do none,

That do not do the thing they most do show,

Who moving others are themselves as stone,

Unmoved, cold, and to temptation slow,

They rightly do inherit heaven's graces

And husband nature's riches from expense;

They are the lords and owners of their faces,

Others but stewards of their excellence.

The summer's flow'r is to the summer sweet

Though to itself it only live and die,

But if that flow'r with base infection meet,

The basest weed outbraves his dignity:

For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds;

Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds.

SHAKESPEARE
This book is for Charles and Marsha Brown
To be honest, I haven't been able to remember clearly everything that happened to me before and during Trial, so where necessary I've filled in with possibilities--lies, if you want.

In 2198, one hundred and fifty years after the desperate wars that destroyed an overpopulated Earth, Man lives precariously on a hundred hastily-established colony worlds and in the seven giant Ships that once ferried men to the stars. Mia Havero's Ship is a small closed society. It tests its children by casting them out to live or die in a month of Trial in the hostile wilds of a colony world. Mia Havero's Trial is fast approaching and in the meantime she must learn not only the skills that will keep her alive but the deeper courage to face herself and her world. Published originally in 1968, Alexei Panshin's Nebula Award-winning classic has lost none of its relevance, with its keen exploration of societal stagnation and the resilience of youth.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:02 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,684,981 books! | Top bar: Always visible