dismiss

Pilgrim at Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard

Pilgrim at Tinker Creek (1974)

by Annie Dillard

4,375741,780 (4.22)1 / 241
A collection of essays on the natural world during a year spent in the Blue Ridge Mountains reflects the author's interactions with her wilderness surroundings.
    Walden by Henry David Thoreau (emydid)
    emydid: Dillard was very much influenced by Thoreau (she did her master's thesis on Walden), and both Pilgrim at Tinker Creek and Walden have similar narrative structures. Both books follow their narrator through the course of a year, and both weave detailed observations of the natural world together with self-examination and statements of a personal worldview. Annie Dillard's concerns are more explicitly theological, while Thoreau tends to be more concerned with the relationship between the individual and society - but both of their books are beautifully-written, densely symbolic investigations into the relationship between the self, nature, and the spiritual. It's interesting to think about the links and contrasts between the two books - for example, between Dillard's idea of "seeing" and Thoreau's reflections on self-exploration and awareness.… (more)
    The Forest Unseen: A Year's Watch in Nature by David George Haskell (danhammang)
    danhammang: Love of the land, celebration of the natural world written by one of the finest authors of this generation.
    In Earshot of Water: Notes from the Columbia Plateau by Paul Lindholdt (bezoar44)
    bezoar44: These authors share some of the same fearless introspection; and while both study the natural world, it is in some ways just a (vital) context in which to explore what it means to live meaningfully.
    Coop: A Year of Poultry, Pigs, and Parenting by Michael Perry (Othemts)

I think this might be my favorite book. ( )
  jtth | May 4, 2020 |
Adding books here as I remember them, it's been a good while since I read this one (late 70s). Even though it won the 1975 Pulitzer Prize for General Non-fiction, I remember not being impressed. With a naturalist's perspective I saw it as reflecting an overly subjective view of the natural world that sustains us, especially in the author's discriminatory view of insects.

"If all mankind were to disappear, the world would regenerate back to the rich state of equilibrium that existed ten thousand years ago. If insects were to vanish, the environment would collapse into chaos." ~ E. O. Wilson ( )
  LGCullens | May 4, 2020 |
I would have liked this more, but I found some of the descriptions of insects disturbing. The lyrical quality of the writing certainly makes up for that, but I will never be an entomologist. ( )
  slmr4242 | Oct 16, 2019 |
This is an absolutely brilliant and breathtaking set of physical and metaphysical meditations. Although it is similar to other works (Thoreau's "Walden," perhaps), there's really nothing quite like it. It is bold yet humble, informative yet questioning, meandering yet narrative. When I was just about to finish the book and return it to the library, I went on Amazon and bought it--I need it within arm's reach. ( )
  petermoccia | Mar 20, 2019 |
A very thoughtful friend just gave me this book. I'm looking forward to reading it--next in line! Thanks, Beth!
  tkcs | Feb 23, 2019 |

Annie Dillardprimary authorall editionscalculated
Adams, RichardIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Conlin, GraceNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gilbert, TaviaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It ever was, and is, and shall be, ever-living Fire, in measures being kindled and in measures going out.
---Heraclitus
for Richard
I used to have a cat, an old fighting tom, who would jump through the open window by my bed in the middle of the night and land on my chest.
Not only does something come if you wait, but it pours over you like a waterfall, a tidal wave. You wait in all naturalness without expectation or hope, emptied, translucent, and that which comes rocks and topples you; it will shear, loose, launch, winnow, grind.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,457,902 books! | Top bar: Always visible