Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Pilgrim at Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard

Pilgrim at Tinker Creek (1974)

by Annie Dillard

4,100671,768 (4.22)1 / 235
    Walden by Henry David Thoreau (emydid)
    emydid: Dillard was very much influenced by Thoreau (she did her master's thesis on Walden), and both Pilgrim at Tinker Creek and Walden have similar narrative structures. Both books follow their narrator through the course of a year, and both weave detailed observations of the natural world together with self-examination and statements of a personal worldview. Annie Dillard's concerns are more explicitly theological, while Thoreau tends to be more concerned with the relationship between the individual and society - but both of their books are beautifully-written, densely symbolic investigations into the relationship between the self, nature, and the spiritual. It's interesting to think about the links and contrasts between the two books - for example, between Dillard's idea of "seeing" and Thoreau's reflections on self-exploration and awareness.… (more)
    The Forest Unseen: A Year's Watch in Nature by David George Haskell (danhammang)
    danhammang: Love of the land, celebration of the natural world written by one of the finest authors of this generation.
    In Earshot of Water: Notes from the Columbia Plateau by Paul Lindholdt (bezoar44)
    bezoar44: These authors share some of the same fearless introspection; and while both study the natural world, it is in some ways just a (vital) context in which to explore what it means to live meaningfully.
    Coop: A Year of Poultry, Pigs, and Parenting by Michael Perry (Othemts)

This is no doubt one of the best books I have ever read. Dillard comes so close to God while searching on her "pilgrimage," but it's like she doesn't know that's what she's found. ( )
  inescapableabby | Nov 28, 2018 |
While Bryson, regretfully, only pays attention to natural history in intermissive fashion (although his interest in the field is apparent), Annie Dillard is celebrated as one of the major natural history authors in America. However, in my opinion the text is 'too feminine' with less attention to actual botany and wildlife, and more holistically describing the overall experience of nature. Furthermore, at least in this book, there seem to be too many side steps to other topics, in pure essaistic style. Major influences and natural history writers are mentioned in the book. A light read. ( )
  edwinbcn | Nov 13, 2018 |
I was looking for a comforting story-line due to the recent passing of my father-in-law. The focus on nature was relaxing and helped me ease back into my routine. The wildlife and Blue Ridge Mountains are described in addition to the title location of Tinker Creek, VA. Dillard provided historical tidbits about the locale and wildlife. I have not read Walden[b:Walden|16902|Walden|Henry David Thoreau|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1465675526s/16902.jpg|2361393] by Thoreau, but Dillard did mention him. I am more curious about Walden, now.
I would recommend this book for anyone experiencing a book hangover. ( )
  godmotherx5 | Apr 5, 2018 |
Annie Dillard is a phenomenon. Her deeply insightful musings on the wonder of the universe that she records over the seasons around Tinker Creek in Virginia's Blue Ridge Mountains are a triumphant, exuberant demonstration of what the human mind can communicate through literature. She is in a unique place in her wandering, in awe, jaw droppingly horrified and profoundly mystical in her embrace of this world around us and the life that fills it. This is one of the best books I have ever read. ( )
  danhammang | Dec 3, 2017 |
It ever was, and is, and shall be, ever-living Fire, in measures being kindled and in measures going out.
---Heraclitus
for Richard
I used to have a cat, an old fighting tom, who would jump through the open window by my bed in the middle of the night and land on my chest.
Not only does something come if you wait, but it pours over you like a waterfall, a tidal wave. You wait in all naturalness without expectation or hope, emptied, translucent, and that which comes rocks and topples you; it will shear, loose, launch, winnow, grind.

Pilgrim at Tinker Creek is the story of a dramatic year in Virginia's Blue Ridge valley. Annie Dillard sets out to see what she can see. What she sees are astonishing incidents of "mystery, death, beauty, violence."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:22 -0400)

A collection of essays on the natural world during a year spent in the Blue Ridge Mountains reflects the author's interactions with her wilderness surroundings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,489,239 books! | Top bar: Always visible