It Happened One Knife (A Double Feature…

It Happened One Knife (A Double Feature Mystery) (edition 2008)

by Jeffrey Cohen

Member:DreamingInFiction
Title:It Happened One Knife (A Double Feature Mystery)
Authors:Jeffrey Cohen
Info:Berkley (2008), Paperback, 304 pages
Tags:want to read (next/1st in series)

It Happened One Knife by Jeffrey Cohen

I was one of the very lucky people to win a galley of this marvelous book. Jeffrey Cohen has done it again, made me laugh out loud while puzzling my way through his newest Elliot Freed mystery. This time Elliot gets a chance to meet one of his all-time comedy hero's, one half- of the comedy team of Lillis and Townes. The meeting happens when he get a chance to show one of their best movies, Cracked Ice, at his comedy theatre. Lillis arranges to do an appearance before the showing and from there the tale is off and running. Mix in Elliot's complicated relationship with ex-wife Sharon and his motley crew of young employees and you have a wonderful read.

I love Jeff's writing style, his sense of humor and his ability to deftly mix his love of the puzzle with the outright funny. Congratulations Jeff, you did it again! ( )
  bookswoman | Mar 31, 2013 |
I loved SOME LIKE IT HOT-BUTTERED (review in link) when I read it in April. It's a fab title (and it's how I like my popcorn), so it immediately drew my attention when I saw it somewhere. Now for the author to grab me to keep reading the series, there has to be more than a pretty title. Jeffrey Cohen did it in spades with IT HAPPENED ONE KNIFE.
Poor Elliot...he's doing his projectionist a favor and shows Anthony's debut film...then is accused of stealing the film project. Elliot then invites his two heroes of comedy filmdom, Lillis & Townes, to a special showing of one of their hit films at his theater...and finds out that one of them may have committed a murder in the past.
Elliot decides he has to investigate both crimes and gets in all kinds of trouble around town, someone sends him an unpleasant gift, demolishes his bike, he might be dating his ex-wife...poor poor Elliot. I just want to reach in and give him a hug.
But he carries on and forges ahead, no matter that everyone tells otherwise..some a little more strongly than others and more forcefully.
And now I cannot wait to read number 3 in the series, A NIGHT AT THE OPERATION. It's in the B&N shopping cart and my next order to Cynthia at High Crimes...whichever gets sent first...now what's this that only three have been written..
Five please say it's only three books in the series so far beans.... ( )
  Squeex | Jul 19, 2010 |
Getting to meet legendary 1950s comic actors Harry Lillis and Leslie Townes has New Jersey theater owner Elliot Freed on Cloud Nine. After the duo appears at Elliot’s Comedy Tonight for a special showing of their hit movie Cracked Ice. Lillis tells Elliot that his old partner is guilty of a murder fifty years earlier. Although the case couldn’t be much colder, Elliot decides to look into the accusation.

Elliot also has a more recent crime to look into, one that hits closer to home. His youthful employee/filmmaker wannabee Anthony Pagliarulo has the only copy of his film Killin’ Time, a super violent Western, stolen from the projection room at Comedy Tonight. Anthony erroneously believes Elliot stole it himself in a misguided attempt to keep the young man in college rather than pursuing a film career before he graduates.

I love this series! The writing is funny without the author’s appearing to try too hard, occasionally cynical but laced with kindness. Even the local police chief is portrayed sympathetically and NOT as the prototypical nincompoop. And Elliot, the first-person narrator, is an absolute sweetheart. I really like the relationship between him and his ex-wife Sharon, a medical doctor who dumped Elliot for Gregory the anesthesiologist. In It Happened One Knife, their relationship appears to be moving from solid friendship to something a bit more complicated.

Film buffs will appreciate all the movie references – but It Happened One Knife offers much more: smooth and witty writing, a pleasantly well-paced plot and a wonderful supporting cast for Elliot, who’s the undisputed star.

By Diana. First published in the Cozy Library August 20, 2008. ( )
  NewsieQ | Aug 21, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 042522256X, Mass Market Paperback)

A new Double Feature mystery opens— with fun movie facts and trivia.

Elliot Freed is beyond happy when legendary comics Lillis & Townes appear at his refurbished all-comedy theater. But when insinuations arise that the duo were involved in a decades-old Hollywood murder, Elliot sets out to prove the rumors wrong.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:38 -0400)

Elliot Freed is beyond happy when legendary comics Lillis & Townes appear at his refurbished all-comedy theatre. But when insinuations arise that the duo were involved in a decades-old Hollywood murder, Elliot sets out to prove the rumours wrong.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,501,547 books! | Top bar: Always visible