The Lemur by Benjamin Black

The Lemur

by Benjamin Black

English (29)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (32)
READ IN DUTCH

Bored, that's what I felt reading this book. It's very short, only about 150 pages, and still, it was too long for the story that was being told.

I just couldn't care for the story. I'm not planning on reading more books by this author, and wouldn't recommend them.

Something I do think is interesting - although it doesn't really has to do with this particular book - is why Irish authors apparently all choose a pseudonym ".... Black". Fascinating... ( )
  Floratina | Sep 25, 2014 |
The story revolves around a man in a trouble marriage who's offered a huge paycheck if he'll write a biography of his bigger than life father-in-law. That would mean looking into the life of Big Bill Mulholland, who is presently a powerful magnate in international communications, oh, and was a legend in the world of espionage. John Glass is regularly a journalist, but when a million dollars is offered up for this book, he accepts the deal. Then he finds the project nearly impossible to begin. He asks around about someone to do research—and then things begin to happen and threats come his way.

This is more mystery than I normally go for, but the writing won me over and I much enjoyed the ride the novel gave me. ( )
  jphamilton | Jul 27, 2014 |
this was a strange little story. it reminded me a lot of [[Patricia Highsmith]]'s [Strangers on a Train]. but not in a good way. to me, the book felt incomplete and as though things were missing throughout. and it made me sad for John Banville who went a little overboard in his characters' descriptions. wowzers. ( )
  DawsonOakes | Jun 30, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Although I received this book through the Library Thing Early Reviewers, I never posted a review of it because I did not enjoy the book. I couldn't say why and I never got around to looking at it again to try to figure it out. ( )
  margitc | Jan 28, 2013 |
A short suspense novel with a set of interesting characters in Black's poetic,literary writing with New York as a background authentically portrayed.. ( )
  adithyajones | Aug 19, 2012 |
The researcher was a very tall, very thin young man with a head too small for his frame and an Adam's apple the size of a golf ball.
original title: The Lemur

A new thriller from the Booker Prize–winning and Edgar-nominated author of Christine Falls and The Silver Swan

Shifting from 1950s Dublin to contemporary New York, the masterful crime writer Benjamin Black returns in this standalone thriller--a story of family secrets so deep, and so dangerous, that anyone might kill to keep them hidden.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:05 -0400)

John Glass's life in New York should be plenty comfortable. He's given up his career as a journalist to write an authorized biography of his father-in-law, communications magnate and former CIA agent Big Bill Mulholland. He works in a big office in Mulholland Tower, rent-free, and goes home (most nights) to his wealthy and well-preserved wife, Wild Bill's daughter. He misses his old life sometimes, but all in all things have turned out well. But when his shifty young researcher--a man he calls "The Lemur"--turns up some unflattering information about the family, Glass's whole easy existence is threatened. Then the young man is murdered, and it's up to Glass to find out what The Lemur knew, and who killed him, before any secrets come out--and before any other bodies appear.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Lemur by BLACK BENJAMIN was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,959,880 books! | Top bar: Always visible