The Lemur by Benjamin Black

The Lemur

by Benjamin Black

English (27)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (30)
this was a strange little story. it reminded me a lot of [[Patricia Highsmith]]'s [Strangers on a Train]. but not in a good way. to me, the book felt incomplete and as though things were missing throughout. and it made me sad for John Banville who went a little overboard in his characters' descriptions. wowzers. ( )
  DawsonOakes | Jun 30, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Although I received this book through the Library Thing Early Reviewers, I never posted a review of it because I did not enjoy the book. I couldn't say why and I never got around to looking at it again to try to figure it out. ( )
  margitc | Jan 28, 2013 |
A short suspense novel with a set of interesting characters in Black's poetic,literary writing with New York as a background authentically portrayed.. ( )
  adithyajones | Aug 19, 2012 |
Just the kind of thing I was in the mood for. Well written, plotful, good characters and not too long. Not too long is probably pushing the boundaries of definition actually, it's a really short book. But that makes it better rather than seeming like a half arsed attempt at stretching a short story into novel. Like the author knew just exactly how much to put in to tell the story and didn't add anything else just for the hell of it. I don't want to mention the plot at all - it didn't go where I was expecting it to go but after finishing it I can't imagine how I ever thought it was going anywhere else. Oh, and really good, highly recommended. Future classic, quite possibly. And probably the only book I've ever read that mentions websites by name and it doesn't feel like the author's just trying to seem hip and trendy."Well," Riley said, "let's say I go way beyond Wikipedia."Quite.
  nocto | Dec 8, 2010 |
I read this very quickly. It is a very forgettable thriller, with a weak story line and unsympathetic characters. Although it is short, it is more like a short story that has been padded with unnecessary detail about what the characters are wearing. The way that chapters ended on a "cliffhanger", and the next chapter would resume with the protagonist waking up and having breakfast, just annoyed me.
In one word, insignificant. ( )
  sharonlflynn | Jan 22, 2010 |
The researcher was a very tall, very thin young man with a head too small for his frame and an Adam's apple the size of a golf ball.
original title: The Lemur

A new thriller from the Booker Prize–winning and Edgar-nominated author of Christine Falls and The Silver Swan

Shifting from 1950s Dublin to contemporary New York, the masterful crime writer Benjamin Black returns in this standalone thriller--a story of family secrets so deep, and so dangerous, that anyone might kill to keep them hidden.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:05 -0400)

John Glass's life in New York should be plenty comfortable. He's given up his career as a journalist to write an authorized biography of his father-in-law, communications magnate and former CIA agent Big Bill Mulholland. He works in a big office in Mulholland Tower, rent-free, and goes home (most nights) to his wealthy and well-preserved wife, Wild Bill's daughter. He misses his old life sometimes, but all in all things have turned out well. But when his shifty young researcher--a man he calls "The Lemur"--turns up some unflattering information about the family, Glass's whole easy existence is threatened. Then the young man is murdered, and it's up to Glass to find out what The Lemur knew, and who killed him, before any secrets come out--and before any other bodies appear.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Lemur by BLACK BENJAMIN was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,547,887 books! | Top bar: Always visible