Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan

Sarah, Plain and Tall (original 1985; edition 2001)

by Patricia MacLachlan

Member:blackpig
Title:Sarah, Plain and Tall
Authors:Patricia MacLachlan
Info:Houghton Mifflin (2001), Paperback

Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan (1985)

Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan is an easy read book for students who are just being introduced to reading chapter books. It could be used for a geography lesson for students about settlers during the early years of America.
The book follows a family of three who had just lost their mother to childbirth. The now single father, Jacob Witting, sent out a letter for a new wife. Sarah, a plain and tall woman, agreed to come for a month, and during this month she came to love his family and must now make the decision on whether to return East to the sea or remain with the children she has come to adore. ( )
  TaylorV | Mar 13, 2019 |
The book, Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan, follows a family living on the prairie during the 19th century. The father, Jacob, puts an ad out for a wife, after his own wife had died years prior. Sarah answers the ad and moves from Maine to live with Jacob and his two children for a month. Although the children love Sarah, she has to choose between returning home to the sea or staying with Jacob and the kids. The book is a nice read for students beginning to read chapter books. This book would also make a good lesson on geography, having students begin writing narratives, and what life was like during the time period of the 19th century. Sarah, Plain and Tall is an independent read for second through fifth grade because it has new vocabulary that is valuable to learn from. ( )
  brittburditt | Nov 15, 2018 |
Yowza, that was short.

(I read it on my electronic device, so wasn't prepared for it. My reader kept telling me things like I was on page 52 of 59, and I assumed that 59 represented 'Part 1' perhaps, but no.) It then included her speech upon recieving the Newberry, which she joked shouldn't be longer than the book itself, and it wasn't ... but it was close.

So it wasn't the deep, rich experience that a fully tricked-out novel can be, but what I read I liked. It's a bit of an appetizer--I've ordered the next book to see how far that goes. Can't give it more than a high 3, but perhaps taken as a whole the entire series will pay off for me.

(Note: 5 stars = amazing, wonderful, 4 = very good book, 3 = decent read, 2 = disappointing, 1 = awful, just awful. I'm fairly good at picking for myself so end up with a lot of 4s). ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Sep 19, 2018 |
Sophia rating - 4.5/5
David rating - 4/5
Mommy rating - 4/5 ( )
  NeedMoreShelves | Jul 8, 2018 |
Anna and Caleb lost their mother at a young age and Jacob, their father needs a wife to run the household. His advertisement is answered by Sarah who comes from Maine to the prairie for a trial run as a frontier wife. Both the children and their father fall head over heels for Sarah and hope she will stay.

An entertaining read that children will enjoy. Makes a great read-aloud.
  valorrmac | May 15, 2018 |

Sewall, MarciaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Todd, CamilleTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vidal, Marta SansigreTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walken, Christopher, 1943-Actorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For old friends, dear friends--
DICK AND WENDY PUFF,
ALLISON AND DEREK
"Did Mama sing every day?" asked Caleb.
"And she named me Caleb," he went on, filling in the old familiar story.
"I would have named you Troublesome,"' I said, making Caleb smile.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064402053, Paperback)

MacLachlan, author of Unclaimed Treasures, has written an affecting tale for children. In the late 19th century a widowed midwestern farmer with two children--Anna and Caleb--advertises for a wife. When Sarah arrives she is homesick for Maine, especially for the ocean which she misses greatly. The children fear that she will not stay, and when she goes off to town alone, young Caleb--whose mother died during childbirth--is stricken with the fear that she has gone for good. But she returns with colored pencils to illustrate for them the beauty of Maine, and to explain that, though she misses her home, "the truth of it is I would miss you more." The tale gently explores themes of abandonment, loss and love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:15 -0400)

When their father invites a mail-order bride to come live with them in their prairie home, Caleb and Anna are captivated by their new mother and hope that she will stay.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,634,475 books! | Top bar: Always visible