Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan

Sarah, Plain and Tall (original 1985; edition 1987)

by Patricia MacLachlan

Member:krystalramirez
Title:Sarah, Plain and Tall
Authors:Patricia MacLachlan
Info:HarperCollins (1987), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 64 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Newbery, family, losing a mother

Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan (1985)

This is an amazing early chapter book! I loved the story of Anna and Caleb, two young children whose father is sad and lonely after his wife dies from childbirth. He writes a mail order type letter and along comes Sarah. She lives with them for a month before she decides if she will stay or not. Caleb is drawn to her immediately, but Anna takes a while before she becomes attached to her as well. Sarah draws in Jacob by helping on the farm, but is sad because she misses the Ocean and her home. When Sarah heads to town in the wagon on her own, they are all worried that she wont come back. She does, saying that although she misses the sea, she would miss them more if she left. It ends with Anna saying that Jacob, their dad, and Sarah are getting married soon. I don't really have any critiques!
Genre: Historical Fiction
Uses: It is set in the 1900's so it would be a fun historical read to the class, and a great early chapter book for early beginner readers. ( )
  epatt14 | Apr 15, 2016 |
Decent, but I'm not sure how it became the literary cornerstone it seems to be. ( )
  benuathanasia | Mar 29, 2016 |
Summary:
This story is about a farmer who is left to take care of his two children after his wife passes away. He finds that caring for the children and taking care of the farm is more than he can handle so he write an ad in the news paper and finds Sarah in Maine. She travels to move in with them to be his new wife and take care of the children. At first the children aren't too sure about Sarah. Sarah misses the sea and the son Caleb is afraid that Sarah will leave them. Sarah is finally able to break thru to the father and they start to get along. One night Sarah takes the wagon into town and the son is afraid that Sarah will not come back but if very happy when she does.

Personal Reflection:
I personally did not like this book. I am not sure if it was the whole mail order bride idea but I understand that did happen a lot.

Classroom Extensions
1. I would have the student illustrate a picture of the farm.
2. We would go over a lesson on how it is okay to be stand offish but still trust someone.
  AshleyTaylor1 | Mar 24, 2016 |
Summary: There is a single father who has two children. Their mother has died, and the father is looking for a new wife. The father writes letter to a woman named Sarah, who lives in Maine. The father is thinking about making Sarah his wife. The children end up writing letters to Sarah as well asking her questions about who she is. Sarah comes from Maine, to live with the father and the children. Sarah wanted papa to teach her to ride and horse and to drive the wagon, so she could help with things around the house, and the work that needed to get done.
Personal: I haven't had really any experience like this excepet for when my grandfather died, and I had to help my grandma around here house, with yard work and things of that nature.
Classroom: I think that this book would be good for a classroom, but for children in the upper grade levels, some of the students could really relate to this or some might have had to help around the house.
  Emily_Wilkinson | Mar 8, 2016 |
A good accompaniment to the Little House series. A widower seeks a new wife as a help-mate, and in response to his newspaper ad comes Sarah, plain and tall. A sweet little story about the developing relationship between a step-mother and her new family, and a nice snippet of frontier life. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |

Patricia MacLachlanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Amo, Fuencisla DelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustrationssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bliss, HarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Close, GlennNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For old friends, dear friends - Dick and Wendy Puff, Allison and Derek
"Did Mama sing every day?" asked Caleb.
"And she named me Caleb," he went on, filling in the old familiar story.
"I would have named you Troublesome,"' I said, making Caleb smile.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064402053, Paperback)

MacLachlan, author of Unclaimed Treasures, has written an affecting tale for children. In the late 19th century a widowed midwestern farmer with two children--Anna and Caleb--advertises for a wife. When Sarah arrives she is homesick for Maine, especially for the ocean which she misses greatly. The children fear that she will not stay, and when she goes off to town alone, young Caleb--whose mother died during childbirth--is stricken with the fear that she has gone for good. But she returns with colored pencils to illustrate for them the beauty of Maine, and to explain that, though she misses her home, "the truth of it is I would miss you more." The tale gently explores themes of abandonment, loss and love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:15 -0400)

When their father invites a mail-order bride to come live with them in their prairie home, Caleb and Anna are captivated by their new mother and hope that she will stay.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,895,175 books! | Top bar: Always visible