Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan

Sarah, Plain and Tall (original 1985; edition 1987)

by Patricia MacLachlan

Member:krystalramirez
Title:Sarah, Plain and Tall
Authors:Patricia MacLachlan
Info:HarperCollins (1987), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 64 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Newbery, family, losing a mother

Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan (1985)

A friend of mine handed me this book and said, "You have to read this." It was published in the mid-80's and won the Newbery Medal. I can't believe I never read this! It's such a perfect little story. Patricia MacLachlan brings the characters to life very quickly and you instantly fall in love with them. It'll take you less than an hour to read, but it's well worth it. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
Sarah Plain and Tall was a book that my teacher read to me and elementary school. I was inclined to read it again because I did not remember what it was about, and I absolutely loved it. It is story about a family who is in search of a mail order bride for their family. Sarah, who is from Maine, decides to accept the invitation and come to the family. ( )
  maddisonsitz | Sep 27, 2016 |
Sarah, Plain and Tall is about a family of three: Anna, Caleb, and Papa. Anna's mother passed away when Caleb was born and Papa decides that it is time to find a new spouse after some time has passed. Papa chooses a woman named Sarah who comes all the way from Maine. Sarah refers to herself as plain and tall in the letters that she sent to Anna's family. When Sarah arrives she brings her cat named Seal with her. Together, Sarah and Anna's family spend some time together while getting to know each other. Throughout the course of this book, Sarah refers back to her home on multiple occasions. Most of her memories are of the sea and how fond she is of it. Towards the end, Sarah learns the ways of the farm as well as learns to sing for her new children. I personally enjoyed this story because of the presence of significant aspects of life such as: death, coping, adapting, and acceptance. In some cases, this book may be extremely relatable for some students. A good activity to do with students is to let them write in their personal journals about someone that they love who may or not be alive. Students can also participate in simulated letters where they take the point of view of either: Caleb, Anna, Sarah, or Papa. ( )
  wxv002 | Sep 25, 2016 |
This book is an engaging read for children, especially for young girls. The book is narrated is a little girl's voice, so her thoughts are what drives the book, and these thoughts can be relatable for young girls. The book deals with more serious issues, such as the loss of a mother, a family's attempt at connection with a new family member, and the fear of potential loss.
  cgjohn3570 | Sep 22, 2016 |
This is a really good book to read. Upper elementary students really enjoy it. It takes place in the early 1900's.
  TaylorMcMillan | Sep 7, 2016 |

Patricia MacLachlanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Amo, Fuencisla DelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustrationssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bliss, HarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Close, GlennNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For old friends, dear friends - Dick and Wendy Puff, Allison and Derek
"Did Mama sing every day?" asked Caleb.
"And she named me Caleb," he went on, filling in the old familiar story.
"I would have named you Troublesome,"' I said, making Caleb smile.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064402053, Paperback)

MacLachlan, author of Unclaimed Treasures, has written an affecting tale for children. In the late 19th century a widowed midwestern farmer with two children--Anna and Caleb--advertises for a wife. When Sarah arrives she is homesick for Maine, especially for the ocean which she misses greatly. The children fear that she will not stay, and when she goes off to town alone, young Caleb--whose mother died during childbirth--is stricken with the fear that she has gone for good. But she returns with colored pencils to illustrate for them the beauty of Maine, and to explain that, though she misses her home, "the truth of it is I would miss you more." The tale gently explores themes of abandonment, loss and love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:15 -0400)

When their father invites a mail-order bride to come live with them in their prairie home, Caleb and Anna are captivated by their new mother and hope that she will stay.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,264,459 books! | Top bar: Always visible