Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan

Sarah, Plain and Tall (original 1985; edition 1987)

by Patricia MacLachlan

Member:krystalramirez
Title:Sarah, Plain and Tall
Authors:Patricia MacLachlan
Info:HarperCollins (1987), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 64 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Newbery, family, losing a mother

Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan (1985)

Summary
This book is about a country man raising his two kids after his wife died. He knows that his children need a mother and he himself is lonely and needs a wife. He puts an ad in the newspaper for a wife and his ad was answered and their story began.

Personal reflection
I liked this story because I like how the children were so excited to have a mother they wanted to make sure that things were just right to impress her so she would stay.

Extension
1. The children will make a song and activity book that they can use when someone new visits their house.
2. Construct a sea and shells similar to the story to display in class.
3. Have a discussion about some things that we do to impress someone they really want in their lives.
  olivyahall | Jul 22, 2015 |
This book details a search for family after their mother has died. Sarah enters the picture and becomes a mother to the children and comes to love and be loved by the entire family.

Step-parents are a part of daily life now a days so I think it is good that there is such a good story and model for children.

1. Children can be asked why Sarah is loved so much by the family.
2. Children can be asked to detail the pros and cons of Sarah staying.
3. Children can be asked why Sarah may have called herself 'plain and tall'
  vhein | Jul 16, 2015 |
Part 2 of 3 part story
  MarieWG | Jun 5, 2015 |
This Newbery Award winning chapter book recounts the story of a widower and his two young children (Anna and Caleb) and their experience in bringing Sarah, a mail order bride into their family The story is set in the pioneer days in the American plains. Papa decides the family needs a wife and mother and sends away for Sarah who was from Maine and loves the sea and its colors. The kids look forward to becoming a whole family again but they are nervous about what Sarah is like. More than anything they want Sarah to bring music and songs back into their home.

I think this is a wonderful option for children who are interested in historical fiction. The story is interesting and written from the perspective of Anna, the little girl in the story. I think many younger girls would want to add this book to their reading lists. I also like the option of exploring the definition of family and how difficult it is to blend two separate families and cultures together. I think students who are part of blended or divorced families will find a personal connection with this story as a result. I think an interesting follow up to this story would be to have students research the actual mail-order bride industry as well. ( )
  zsvandyk | May 24, 2015 |
Read my review of the audiobook version of this classic 1986 Newbery Medalist (the audiobook also includes its sequels Skylark and Caleb’s Story), at http://newberryproject.blogspot.com/2007/08/sarah-plain-and-tall-1986.html.
  rdg301library | May 24, 2015 |

Patricia MacLachlanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Amo, Fuencisla DelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustrationssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bliss, HarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Close, GlennNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For old friends, dear friends - Dick and Wendy Puff, Allison and Derek
"Did Mama sing every day?" asked Caleb.
"And she named me Caleb," he went on, filling in the old familiar story.
"I would have named you Troublesome,"' I said, making Caleb smile.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064402053, Paperback)

MacLachlan, author of Unclaimed Treasures, has written an affecting tale for children. In the late 19th century a widowed midwestern farmer with two children--Anna and Caleb--advertises for a wife. When Sarah arrives she is homesick for Maine, especially for the ocean which she misses greatly. The children fear that she will not stay, and when she goes off to town alone, young Caleb--whose mother died during childbirth--is stricken with the fear that she has gone for good. But she returns with colored pencils to illustrate for them the beauty of Maine, and to explain that, though she misses her home, "the truth of it is I would miss you more." The tale gently explores themes of abandonment, loss and love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:15 -0400)

When their father invites a mail-order bride to come live with them in their prairie home, Caleb and Anna are captivated by their new mother and hope that she will stay.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,409,488 books! | Top bar: Always visible