Breath by Tim Winton

Breath

by Tim Winton

English (93)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (95)
Half way through this book I was sure I was only going to give it 1 or 2 stars, but I must admit, the end gripped me and thus the extra star was earned.

I really wanted to like this book, but it failed to impress me. This is probably because I know absolutely nothing about surfing, and have never had any real interest in it. That said, I did find the characters compelling, and mostly disturbing and disturbed.

I think a fanatic surfer would love this novel. ( )
  tashlyn88 | Feb 5, 2016 |
Spoiler alert - if you've not read this book and you want to, there are some spoilers in the following review.

I was inspired to read this by a friend who recommended it, saying that it made her want to read all of his books, so I managed to find a copy at the library. I wasn’t overly sure about it from the blurb, it didn’t sound like the kind of thing I would have normally picked up but I was willing to give it a try.

I found it to be quite a dull read and I think a lot of this is down to the way it’s written. I would have expected a book about surfing to be full of joy and spark, with lots of description about how awesome it is and feels, but it’s not like that at all. It’s a complete monotone, there’s barely any emotion in it. At the same time, there’s an overwhelming feeling of misery and depression that runs right the way through the book so even the brief moments that should be joyous are sad. It makes it quite a difficult read because it’s so dour and heavy.

About half the way through, it goes from being about surfing to being about sex. And it’s not just run of the mill sex either, it’s erotic asphyxiation which was incredibly bizarre. I don’t know if it was due to the tone it was written in but it was just rather off-putting and made for uncomfortable reading.

While the majority of the book is focused on a few years in the teenage boy’s life, the last quarter or so rushes through 40 odd years in a matter of pages. The opening scene that seems to have no link to the rest of the story is explained but the book as a whole is not. It seems like two halves of completely different stories jammed together. I was kind of left wishing that I’d not bothered with it. I didn’t enjoy it at all and it was just such a depressing read. Perhaps if you’re an Australian who is seriously into surfing you might enjoy it but I wouldn’t hold your breath. ( )
  Ganimede | May 6, 2015 |
This book captures the essence of small town coastal Australia, the thrill of surfing and the impact of ones peers on life's journey. I am Australian and surfer so I particularly related to this book but I think it is very accessible to all. ( )
  majamase | Oct 26, 2014 |
Tim Winton’s ‘Breath’ is like a long wave slowly building up, then breaking and crashing down to cause chaos in it's wake. It is the story of two adolescent surfers who are taken in tow by a veteran surfer and gradually introduced to extreme surfing and the way in which this eventually damages and shapes their future lives.

Pikelet (Bruce Pike) and Loonie (Ivan Loon) are both lonely misfits in a small timber town near the coast who befriend each other one summer swimming at the river and dare each other to more and more extreme exploits. When they ride to the coast on their bikes and see the local lads surfing they know they have to give it a try. Before long they draw the attention of Sando (Bill Sanderson) a veteran surfer who takes them under his wing and encourages them to try more and more extreme surf. It’s the 70s and Sando and his American wife Eva are living a hippy lifestyle in a house set in the bush where Eva is also trying to overcome her own demons.

This story is many things. It is a coming of age story for Pikelet and Loonie as they move through adolescence. It is also about the attraction of extreme sport, the addiction to the endorphin and adrenalin rush that is hard to satisfy away from the sport and it is about the dangers of idolizing those who seem adventurous and attractive to us. It also touches on how deviant sexual practices can warp a teenage boy’s sexual awakening affecting his later life and relationships.

Although I grew up in WA and had several surfie friends, I have never been keen to try surfing but found myself enjoying Tim Winton’s descriptions of how to forecast when the surf would be good, how to pick the best position for catching a wave and the exhilaration to be had riding the wave. ( )
  cscott | Mar 30, 2014 |
For Howard Willis
We come sweeping up the tree-lined boulevard with siren and lights and when the GPS urges us to make the next left we take it so fast that all the gear slams and sways inside the vehicle.

Tim Winton is Australia’s best-loved novelist. His new work,Breath, is an extraordinary evocation of an adolescence spent resisting complacency, testing one’s limits against nature, finding like-minded souls, and discovering just how far one breath will take you. It’s a story of extremes—extreme sports and extreme emotions.

On the wild, lonely coast of Western Australia, two thrillseeking and barely adolescent boys fall into the enigmatic thrall of veteran big-wave surfer Sando. Together they form an odd but elite trio. The grown man initiates the boys into a kind of Spartan ethos, a regimen of risk and challenge, where they test themselves in storm swells on remote and shark-infested reefs, pushing each other to the edges of endurance, courage, and sanity. But where is all this heading? Why is their mentor’s past such forbidden territory? And what can explain his American wife’s peculiar behavior? Venturing beyond all limits—in relationships, in physical challenge, and in sexual behavior—there is a point where oblivion is the only outcome. Full of Winton’s lyrical genius for conveying physical sensation, Breath is a rich and atmospheric coming-of-age tale from one of world literature’s finest storytellers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:03 -0400)

Falling under the spell of an enigmatic extreme-sports surfer, a thrill-seeking pair of western Australian adolescents is initiated into a world of high-stakes adventures and dangerous boundary testing.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0241015308, 0143009583

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Breath by Tim Winton was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 279 books! | Top bar: Always visible