The Splendid Table's How to Eat Supper:…

The Splendid Table's How to Eat Supper: Recipes, Stories, and Opinions…

by Lynne Rossetto Kasper

203357,794 (4.07)3
Recently added bymfiehn, Lollymom, jadepearl, private library, netch, RapidCityPubLib, Dureo, fooeynet

I think I am too cheap for a lot of these recipes but they look good. ( )
  E.J | Apr 3, 2013 |
If you are one of those people who likes to read cookbooks, How to Eat Supper is a good choice for browsing. There are lots of notes, tips and book recommendations throughout, formatted in fun fonts and colors, and the full-color photos are mouth-watering.

But once you start cooking out of it, How to Eat Supper shows itself to be strangely uneven. The theme is a fresh take on weeknight cooking, aligned with contemporary values about food, such as seasonality and sustainability. There are a handful of recipes within that are so delicious and unusual that you’ll want to make them again and again. But there were just as many recipes I tried (or more) that simply fell flat. The remainder were so middle-of-the-road that I can’t really remember them.

I’m not sure if it’s worth investing in the cookbook for such a small number of truly great recipes. But it’s still a very pretty book to have on your shelf. ( )
  sturlington | Mar 26, 2012 |
How to Eat Supper is by far the best cookbook I've owned so far. The recipes are delicious, and the collection is geared towards easy weeknight cooking after work when you need something that's simple and quick to make, yet still has a degree of elegance. Ginger Stick Curried Yams is my favorite so far, and not only does it taste great, but it only dirties up one pot! Well, ok two cunting the one with the rice. I appreciate a recipe that doesn't ask you to use 5 different pots and pans.

But the best part of all about it is the quirky and hilarious commentary, excerpts from the radio show, and goofy food quotes that lift my spirit while flipping through looking for some inspiration for supper. I can't say enough about this wonderful book. ( )
  rozozo | Dec 4, 2009 |

Just when you thought the last thing the world needed was another book on weeknight cooking, along comes an entirely fresh take on the subject. As they do on their weekly show, host Lynne Rossetto Kasper and producer Sally Swift approach their topic with attitude and originality, making The Splendid Table’s How to Eat Supper one of the most engaging cookbooks of this or any other year.

As loyal listeners know, Lynne and Sally share an unrelenting curiosity about everything to do with food. Their show, The Splendid Table, looks at the role food plays in our lives—inspiring us, making us laugh, nourishing us, and opening us up to the world around us. Now they have compiled all the most trenchant tips, never-fail recipes, and everyday culinary know-how from the program in How to Eat Supper, a kitchen companion unlike any other.

This is no mere cookbook. Like the show, this book goes far beyond the recipe, introducing the people and stories that are shaping America’s changing sense of food. We don’t eat, shop, or cook as we used to. Our relationship with food has intensified, become more controversial, richer, more pleasurable, and sometimes more puzzling. How to Eat Supper gives voice to rarely heard perspectives on food—from the quirky to the political, from the grassroots to the scholarly, from the highbrow to the humble—and shows the essential role breaking bread together plays in our world.

How to Eat Supper takes you through a plethora of inviting recipes simple enough to ensure success even if you’ve never cooked before. And if you are experienced in the kitchen, you’ll find challenging new concepts and dishes to spark your imagination.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:44 -0400)

Offers more than one hundred, easy-to-prepare recipes for a variety of dinners inspired by international specialties, accompanied by nutrition tips, and food facts and trivia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,617,757 books! | Top bar: Always visible