Spin State by Chris Moriarty

Spin State

by Chris Moriarty

Series: Spin Series (1)

Crossover: A Cassandra Kresnov Novel by Joel Shepherd (thegryph)
    thegryph: Both have military-minded female protagonists in an SF world that has blurry lines between human and machine.
    Dreamships by Melissa Scott (Anonymous user)
    He, She and It by Marge Piercy (storyjunkie)
    Spin Control by Chris Moriarty (mummimamma)
    mummimamma: Loosely connected series

Such a good SF book, a thriller also, gripping,inventive.... ( )
  Gerardlionel | Apr 2, 2016 |
In the far future, humans cling to relevance through a combination of money and military. They are dependent on sentient AIs with impenetrable motives and on the Bose-Einstein condensates, which enable them to communicate and travel instantaneously through the universe. But the condensates are only found on Compson's World, and humanity's greatest scientist was just killed in a cave-in there. Catherine Li, a UN peacekeeper with secrets of her own, is sent to investigate Hannah Sharifi's death, and find what her latest discovery was.

The universe she lives in is fascinating, teeming with gene modded humans living in hive minded Syndicates, shunting one brain through another body, wiring fighters for greater reflexes and strength...And Moriarty mines modern quantum physics for sf ideas, coming up with teleportation that leads to imperceptible loss of people's mental states and memories every time they are reconstituted (because you can perfectly recreate their atoms, but not their constituents' spin). This is a fast paced thriller with excellent action scenes and...yet its also a beautifully sensitive portrait of Li's mind. I loved her vicious fighting style and pragmatic view of social interactions, but I also really felt like I got to know her, inside and out. Li has had to hide parts of herself to maintain her career, but when she starts opening up to Cohen she is forced to face the monstrous decisions she's made and lived with. I loved their romance; it's possibly the first time I've ever felt like the vastness and complexity of an AI came across. By the same token, Moriarty also shows us what we might look like to other intelligence forms, ex:
She looked across the little distance between them and had a sudden shadowy glimpse of herself as he saw her. A fierce dark mystery, gloriously tangled in a too-fragile body, slipping away from him down a hall-of-mirrors perspective of increasingly pessimistic statistical wave functions.

I was so tempted to give this four stars, because the emotions and thought this book evoked were so intense and complex. But I felt like the mystery of Sharifi's death and final discovery were too convoluted, with too many players that I was expected to remember. Nevertheless, an excellent posthuman adventure. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
pretty good. not particularly deep, but fun. ( )
  vanjr | Oct 4, 2015 |
So glad I chose to reread this book. Such a nailbiter. I couldn't put it down trying to figure out the little mystery. I found it a much easier read the second time around. And now, on to Spin Control! ( )
  fabooj | Feb 3, 2015 |
Great setting, but confusing plot and the stiry dragged. Could have had 200 pages cut quite easily. ( )
  rlangston | Aug 4, 2014 |

Chris Moriartyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Then we encountered a leopard-man who was rumoured to be a cannibal. He must not have thought we looked good to eat; he smiled and let himself be photographed like a veteran tourist guide. After that I started asking everyone where we could meet real cannibals. I wanted to see them, know them.

"They exist," my hosts told me

"But where?"

"No one knows. But there's nothing special about them. You can't even tell them apart from normal people."

"Ah, but I have to know them, eat with them! I want to eat a person. Just to taste. Just to taste it!"

-- Louis Lachenal, Vertigo Notebooks
For Mitchel
They cold-shipped her out, flash-frozen, body still bruised from the last-minute upgrades.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553586246, Mass Market Paperback)

In her debut novel, the terrific thriller Spin State, Chris Moriarty melds cutting-edge science with post-cyberpunk fiction and neo-noir suspense to create a complex, believable future inhabited by one of the most intriguing characters in modern science fiction.

Major Catherine Li is a veteran United Nations Peacekeeper in a future of world-nations. Humanity has spread across interstellar space by "jumping": teleportation enabled by quantum physics and a bizarre crystal found only on Compson's World. The jumps destroy memory, so jumpers back up their memories on computer. Despite this precaution, frequent jumpers still lose some memories, a fact that poses a far greater problem for Catherine Li than it does for other Peacekeepers. For Li has a dangerous, potentially deadly secret: she's an illegal clone.

When a UN mission goes awry, Li finds herself shipped on solo duty to Compson's World--her home world, to which she'd vowed never to return. Her mission initially seems simple: to determine if the death of brilliant physicist Hannah Sharifi was a crystal-mining accident or cold-blooded murder. Like Li, Sharifi is a clone--in fact, she's Li's genetic twin. Li swiftly finds herself enmeshed in the intertangled politics of the UN, the multiplanetary corporations, the miners, and the human-created Artificial Intelligences, who have enigmatic agendas of their own. --Cynthia Ward

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:31 -0400)

UN Peacekeeper Major Catherine Li hides her true identity as an illegal clone, until a perilous mission takes her back to her brutal planet of origin to investigate the death of a renowned scientist, Li's genetic twin.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,069,735 books! | Top bar: Always visible