Tarzan of the Apes (Modern Library Classics)…

Tarzan of the Apes (Modern Library Classics) (edition 2003)

by Edgar Rice Burroughs, James Taliaferro (Introduction), Gore Vidal (Afterword)

3,051821,858 (3.75)1 / 179
Member:hirotani
Title:Tarzan of the Apes (Modern Library Classics)
Authors:Edgar Rice Burroughs
Other authors:James Taliaferro (Introduction), Gore Vidal (Afterword)
Info:Modern Library (2003), Edition: Modern Library Pbk. Ed, Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Classic

Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs

English (80)  Spanish (2)  All languages (82)
So I read this book, knowing it was a classic, but expecting that I'd like it and wouldn't absolutely love it, but I got really absorbed into the story.

It's a classic adventure story -- and the pace never really slowed down once it picked up. Of course, you should know that Edgar Rice Burroughs is racist to his core, and the 'African savages' presented in this novel are cringe-worthy and the way he writes them makes my skin crawl. Skip them, if you like, as I did, because they add very little most of the time.

I'm sick of people saying 'he was a man of his time' as if to excuse it? He was a man of his time, yes, and a racist one. (His writing of women is also problematic but I will get into that some other time - I will have to read another of his books and pick out examples because they can be quite subtle and subversive.)

One thing I will say is that Edgar Rice Burroughs had never actually been to Africa and imagined it very differently to how it truly was, and so you can rest-assured that the Africa he speaks of is one that does not exist.

... all of that aside, though. This was a really exciting story! It moved well, it read well, I remember quite a few of the lines, and I read it quite easily. The language was easy enough to follow, but it's not a children's story (unlike the Disney film).

I adored this story, but I'll have to give it three stars. ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
A very enjoyable adventure story though the colonial and class attitudes overwhelm the story at times. ( )
  kale.dyer | Jul 26, 2016 |
A surprisingly quick read! I found myself enjoying it more than I thought I would, and I feel that this would have been even more sensationally astounding at the beginning of the twentieth century. Tarzan is born on the coast of Africa to two loving English parents who have been dropped off ship by a mutinous crew. His parents die during his infancy and he is raised by Kala, a loving ape who just lost her own child. He is reared in ape fashion and lives as they do become "king of the jungle," when he stumbles upon his parents cabin he begins to teach himself to write in English from the books they left behind. When a ship arrives with a beautiful young girl he is enamoured and tries to woo her with actions and words since he cannot speak. Compelling, and exciting, this adventure story has something for everyone, even though the ending is a little lacking (this is the first in the series). ( )
  ecataldi | Jul 10, 2016 |
Well, it's Tarzan. He is of a noble family and therefore superior. I did not realize that lions lived in the jungle forests but perhaps they did in 1912. And while I realize it's a product of the age in which it's written, I could not stomach all of the references to blacks as being less intelligent and capable as the white explorers and treasure hunters.

Still, it's a classic novel, the idea of a white man growing up in the jungles of Africa and raised by the great apes still strikes a chord among some young boys and even grown men, and this book remains.

The narrator, Shelly Frasier, does a very poor job in her reading. I have never heard an audiobook narrator who pops her p's" and "b's" (Professor Porter is a jarring name to hear, for example). While her overall reading voice is even and well-done, and her American accent is polished, the reading quality leaves something to be desired." ( )
  threadnsong | Jun 18, 2016 |
Wonderful paintings. ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |

Edgar Rice Burroughsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Erős, LászlóTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fazekas, AttilaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Markkula, PekkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stam, TonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I had this story from one who had no business to tell it to me, or to any other.
Tarzan's grief and anger were unbounded. He roared out his hideous challenge time and again. He beat upon his great chest with his clenched fists, and then he fell upon the body of Kala and sobbed out the pitiful sorrowing of his lonely heart. To lose the only creature in all one's world who ever had manifested love and affection for one, is a great bereavement indeed.
What though Kala was a fierce and hideous ape! To Tarzan she had been kind, she had been beautiful.

Friends with Tantor the
elephant. How can this be?
"Ask not," writes Edgar...
(LeBoeuf)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451524233, Mass Market Paperback)

First published in 1914, Edgar Rice Burroughs's romance has lost little of its force over the years--as film revivals and TV series well attest. Tarzan of the Apes is very much a product of its age: replete with bloodthirsty natives and a bulky, swooning American Negress, and haunted by what zoo specialists now call charismatic megafauna (great beasts snarling, roaring, and stalking, most of whom would be out of place in a real African jungle). Burroughs countervails such incorrectness, however, with some rather unattractive representations of white civilization--mutinous, murderous sailors, effete aristos, self-involved academics, and hard-hearted cowards. At Tarzan's heart rightly lies the resourceful and hunky title character, a man increasingly torn between the civil and the savage, for whom cutlery will never be less than a nightmare.

The passages in which the nut-brown boy teaches himself to read and write are masterly and among the book's improbable, imaginative best. How tempting it is to adopt the ten-year-old's term for letters--"little bugs"! And the older Tarzan's realization that civilized "men were indeed more foolish and more cruel than the beasts of the jungle," while not exactly a new notion, is nonetheless potent. The first in Burroughs's serial is most enjoyable in its resounding oddities of word and thought, including the unforgettable "When Tarzan killed he more often smiled than scowled; and smiles are the foundation of beauty."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:37 -0400)

Tarzan, raised by apes and now leader of the tribe, is forced to choose between two worlds when his presence in the jungle is discovered..

The Library of America

An edition of this book was published by The Library of America.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100003, 1400108500

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,201,623 books! | Top bar: Always visible