Tarzan of the Apes (Modern Library Classics)…

Tarzan of the Apes (Modern Library Classics) (edition 2003)

by Edgar Rice Burroughs, Gore Vidal (Afterword), James Taliaferro (Introduction)

Series: Tarzan (1)

2,631682,272 (3.8)1 / 150
Member:hirotani
Title:Tarzan of the Apes (Modern Library Classics)
Authors:Edgar Rice Burroughs
Other authors:Gore Vidal (Afterword), James Taliaferro (Introduction)
Info:Modern Library (2003), Edition: Modern Library Pbk. Ed, Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Classic

Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs

English (67)  Spanish (1)  All languages (68)
Really just a very entertaining book. He really wrote it as a cliffhanger so you'd have to read "The Return" quickly. A lot of humor, a good story, reasonably good characters (Jane is a bit insipid) ... just suspend disbelief and go with it! ( )
  AliceAnna | Aug 31, 2014 |
Well, this is a simple childhood story, I don't really need to review it as we all are probably familiar with it. My generation grew up watching TV movies about the ape man. I liked them a lot back then. My granddaughters have sat in front of the TV watching Disney DVDs. Tarzan is the orphan child of Lord and Lady Graystoke who were put ashore after a mutiny on a ship they were sailing. Lady Greystoke dies when Tarzan is a baby and Lord Greystoke is killed by an ape leaving the infant boy in the crib. The female ape who's baby is dead exchanges it for Tarzan and thus Tarzan is raised as an ape. He teaches himself to read English. The story is one of survival, adventure, combat with nature and romance. It is surprising that the book has lasted because it also can be described as racist and sexist. On another level, the book idealizes man's relationship with nature verses civilization. You have the contrast of Tarzan and Clayton. Tarzan who ate by the laws of nature and Clayton who ate with the manners of society. ( )
  Kristelh | Jul 27, 2014 |

The trials and tribulations of Tarzan and his friends are, without doubt, interesting. It's actually surprising the story is as short as it is. I'm debating on reading the others, but then again most books in a series pale in comparison to the first book, so I'm still at a bit of a loss there. The cast of characters is quite wonderful, and diverse, in a way. I love how the author made Tarzan play on the superstitions of the native tribes. I feel as though it added a sort of authenticity to him somehow, though I truly can't explain why I feel this way.

This was a lovely change from your traditional classic novel; it was short, sweet, & to the point. It was, however, mildly disappointing. I suppose that's because I have this lovely Disney image of the story in my head, but I was really hoping, after all the work he went through, that Tarzan would get the girl.
  cebellol | Jul 22, 2014 |
I was surprised at how interesting and well written this book still is. ( )
  Benedict8 | Jul 16, 2014 |
A classic. Burroughs knows how to write action. I had thought it would be trite and unbelievable. I was very wrong. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and lost the sense that I was reading. I strongly recommend Tarzan of the Apes even though it appears archaic. ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |

Edgar Rice Burroughsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Erős, LászlóTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fazekas, AttilaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Markkula, PekkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stam, TonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I had this story from one who had no business to tell it to me, or to any other.
Tarzan's grief and anger were unbounded. He roared out his hideous challenge time and again. He beat upon his great chest with his clenched fists, and then he fell upon the body of Kala and sobbed out the pitiful sorrowing of his lonely heart. To lose the only creature in all one's world who ever had manifested love and affection for one, is a great bereavement indeed.
What though Kala was a fierce and hideous ape! To Tarzan she had been kind, she had been beautiful.

Deep in the savage African jungle, the baby Tarzan was raised by a fierce she-ape of the tribe of Kerchak of the Mangani. There he had to learn the secrets of the wild to survive - how to talk with animals, swing through the trees, and fight against the great predators. He grew to the strength and courage of his fellow apes. And in time, his human intelligence granted him the kingship of the tribe.
He became truly Lord of the Jungle.
Then men entered his jungle, bringing with them the wanton savagery of civilized greed and lust - and bringing also the first white woman Tarzan had ever seen.
---------------------
Suddenly something snapped in the wicked little brain of Kerchak, the king of the Great Apes. With a frightful roar, the savage beast sprang among the assembled tribe of apes. Biting and striking with his huge hands, he killed and maimed a dozen ere the balance could escape to the upper terraces of the forest.
Frothing and shrieking in the insanity of his fury, Kerchak looked about for the object of his greatest hatred, and there upon a near-by limb he saw Tarzan sitting. "Come down, Tarzan," cried Kerchak. "Come down and feel the fangs of a greater killer. Do mighty fighters fly to the trees at the first approach of danger?" And then Kerchak emitted the volleying challenge of his kind.
Quietly Tarzan dropped to the ground. Breathlessly the tribe watched from their lofty perches as Kerchak, still roaring, charged the relatively puny figure of the man ...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451524233, Mass Market Paperback)

First published in 1914, Edgar Rice Burroughs's romance has lost little of its force over the years--as film revivals and TV series well attest. Tarzan of the Apes is very much a product of its age: replete with bloodthirsty natives and a bulky, swooning American Negress, and haunted by what zoo specialists now call charismatic megafauna (great beasts snarling, roaring, and stalking, most of whom would be out of place in a real African jungle). Burroughs countervails such incorrectness, however, with some rather unattractive representations of white civilization--mutinous, murderous sailors, effete aristos, self-involved academics, and hard-hearted cowards. At Tarzan's heart rightly lies the resourceful and hunky title character, a man increasingly torn between the civil and the savage, for whom cutlery will never be less than a nightmare.

The passages in which the nut-brown boy teaches himself to read and write are masterly and among the book's improbable, imaginative best. How tempting it is to adopt the ten-year-old's term for letters--"little bugs"! And the older Tarzan's realization that civilized "men were indeed more foolish and more cruel than the beasts of the jungle," while not exactly a new notion, is nonetheless potent. The first in Burroughs's serial is most enjoyable in its resounding oddities of word and thought, including the unforgettable "When Tarzan killed he more often smiled than scowled; and smiles are the foundation of beauty."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:09 -0400)

Tarzan, raised by apes and now leader of the tribe, is forced to choose between two worlds when his presence in the jungle is discovered..

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

The Library of America

An edition of this book was published by The Library of America.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,892,307 books! | Top bar: Always visible