Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs

Tarzan of the Apes (edition 2003)

by Edgar Rice Burroughs

Info:Aegypan Books (2003), Paperback, 324 pages
Collections:Your library, Nook
Tags:Fantasy-Science Fiction

Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs

English (68)  Spanish (1)  All languages (69)
For Christmas, I ordered an mp3 player (Library of Classics) that was pre-loaded with 100 works of classic literature in an audio format. Each work is in the public domain and is read by amateurs, so the quality of the presentation is hit or miss.

Tarzan of the Apes is a cultural classic. I grew up during a time when Saturday morning was filled with Tarzan cartoons and movies. “Me Tarzan, you Jane” is almost a cultural tagline. However, this is the first time I was exposed to the original novel, written by Edgar Rice Burroughs. The story is well known. The child of English nobility is raised from birth by a band of apes, with very little exposure to human influence. Upon reaching maturity, he is finally faced with members of his own species.

I found this to be a relatively decent story, right up to the point that the party of English travelers was deposited upon Tarzan’s shores. Now, I had a problem with Tarzan teaching himself how to read, strictly by virtue of his discovery of a set of books left behind by his dead parents. That is pretty absurd on its face, however, when the English travelers actually included Tarzan’s first cousin, the very person that succeeded to the lordship upon the death of his father, the author lost me. Coincidence? Africa is a mighty large continent for two such closely related people to accidentally run into each other.

There follows several highly implausible occurrences, such as Tarzan’s mastery of the French and English languages and operation of near seamless transition into upper class society. In any event, a tolerably entertaining story deteriorated rapidly at about the midway point, in my opinion. ( )
  santhony | Oct 23, 2014 |
Lord Greystoke and his Lady Greystoke was going to Africa. On the ship they was an old angry captain that hated the crew except for the high ranked me. He would shoot or beat the men if they dare to say no to his order. Lady Greystoke died and then her husband was killed by the king ape leaving their son behind. He was raised by the apes in the jungle. He became known as Tarzan instead of using his name John. He does not know that he is human, yet he felt out of place in the tribe of apes because he was the only one that was hairless. He soon found his parents cabin and in this way he found out that he was a human being. He also wanted to be the leader of the apes and he challenge White Eyes to a fight. Tarzan won the fight and became the leader. He was bought back to England by D'Amot where he met his grandfather and fell in love with a girl name Jane. Jane taught him English, French and how to dance.

This book is very adventurous. Tarzan is a great hunter with skills like no other. He is able to fight and teaches himself to read. Tarzan also killed a gorilla who attacked him. He mourned and screamed when his mother ape was killed. It is amazing that he also learn to speak english ( )
  shakirh.b3 | Oct 23, 2014 |
Really just a very entertaining book. He really wrote it as a cliffhanger so you'd have to read "The Return" quickly. A lot of humor, a good story, reasonably good characters (Jane is a bit insipid) ... just suspend disbelief and go with it! ( )
  AliceAnna | Aug 31, 2014 |
Well, this is a simple childhood story, I don't really need to review it as we all are probably familiar with it. My generation grew up watching TV movies about the ape man. I liked them a lot back then. My granddaughters have sat in front of the TV watching Disney DVDs. Tarzan is the orphan child of Lord and Lady Graystoke who were put ashore after a mutiny on a ship they were sailing. Lady Greystoke dies when Tarzan is a baby and Lord Greystoke is killed by an ape leaving the infant boy in the crib. The female ape who's baby is dead exchanges it for Tarzan and thus Tarzan is raised as an ape. He teaches himself to read English. The story is one of survival, adventure, combat with nature and romance. It is surprising that the book has lasted because it also can be described as racist and sexist. On another level, the book idealizes man's relationship with nature verses civilization. You have the contrast of Tarzan and Clayton. Tarzan who ate by the laws of nature and Clayton who ate with the manners of society. ( )
  Kristelh | Jul 27, 2014 |

The trials and tribulations of Tarzan and his friends are, without doubt, interesting. It's actually surprising the story is as short as it is. I'm debating on reading the others, but then again most books in a series pale in comparison to the first book, so I'm still at a bit of a loss there. The cast of characters is quite wonderful, and diverse, in a way. I love how the author made Tarzan play on the superstitions of the native tribes. I feel as though it added a sort of authenticity to him somehow, though I truly can't explain why I feel this way.

This was a lovely change from your traditional classic novel; it was short, sweet, & to the point. It was, however, mildly disappointing. I suppose that's because I have this lovely Disney image of the story in my head, but I was really hoping, after all the work he went through, that Tarzan would get the girl.
  cebellol | Jul 22, 2014 |

Edgar Rice Burroughsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Erős, LászlóTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fazekas, AttilaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Markkula, PekkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stam, TonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I had this story from one who had no business to tell it to me, or to any other.
Tarzan's grief and anger were unbounded. He roared out his hideous challenge time and again. He beat upon his great chest with his clenched fists, and then he fell upon the body of Kala and sobbed out the pitiful sorrowing of his lonely heart. To lose the only creature in all one's world who ever had manifested love and affection for one, is a great bereavement indeed.
What though Kala was a fierce and hideous ape! To Tarzan she had been kind, she had been beautiful.

Deep in the savage African jungle, the baby Tarzan was raised by a fierce she-ape of the tribe of Kerchak of the Mangani. There he had to learn the secrets of the wild to survive - how to talk with animals, swing through the trees, and fight against the great predators. He grew to the strength and courage of his fellow apes. And in time, his human intelligence granted him the kingship of the tribe.
He became truly Lord of the Jungle.
Then men entered his jungle, bringing with them the wanton savagery of civilized greed and lust - and bringing also the first white woman Tarzan had ever seen.
---------------------
Suddenly something snapped in the wicked little brain of Kerchak, the king of the Great Apes. With a frightful roar, the savage beast sprang among the assembled tribe of apes. Biting and striking with his huge hands, he killed and maimed a dozen ere the balance could escape to the upper terraces of the forest.
Frothing and shrieking in the insanity of his fury, Kerchak looked about for the object of his greatest hatred, and there upon a near-by limb he saw Tarzan sitting. "Come down, Tarzan," cried Kerchak. "Come down and feel the fangs of a greater killer. Do mighty fighters fly to the trees at the first approach of danger?" And then Kerchak emitted the volleying challenge of his kind.
Quietly Tarzan dropped to the ground. Breathlessly the tribe watched from their lofty perches as Kerchak, still roaring, charged the relatively puny figure of the man ...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451524233, Mass Market Paperback)

First published in 1914, Edgar Rice Burroughs's romance has lost little of its force over the years--as film revivals and TV series well attest. Tarzan of the Apes is very much a product of its age: replete with bloodthirsty natives and a bulky, swooning American Negress, and haunted by what zoo specialists now call charismatic megafauna (great beasts snarling, roaring, and stalking, most of whom would be out of place in a real African jungle). Burroughs countervails such incorrectness, however, with some rather unattractive representations of white civilization--mutinous, murderous sailors, effete aristos, self-involved academics, and hard-hearted cowards. At Tarzan's heart rightly lies the resourceful and hunky title character, a man increasingly torn between the civil and the savage, for whom cutlery will never be less than a nightmare.

The passages in which the nut-brown boy teaches himself to read and write are masterly and among the book's improbable, imaginative best. How tempting it is to adopt the ten-year-old's term for letters--"little bugs"! And the older Tarzan's realization that civilized "men were indeed more foolish and more cruel than the beasts of the jungle," while not exactly a new notion, is nonetheless potent. The first in Burroughs's serial is most enjoyable in its resounding oddities of word and thought, including the unforgettable "When Tarzan killed he more often smiled than scowled; and smiles are the foundation of beauty."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:09 -0400)

Tarzan, raised by apes and now leader of the tribe, is forced to choose between two worlds when his presence in the jungle is discovered..

Current discussions

1914: Edgar Rice Burroughs - Tarzan of the Apes in Literary Centennials

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

The Library of America

An edition of this book was published by The Library of America.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,034,813 books! | Top bar: Always visible