Johnny Appleseed by Steven Kellogg

Johnny Appleseed

by Steven Kellogg

This book is a charming retelling of the life of John Chapman in a way the captures the importance and grandeur of the man while remaining relevant to the target audience. ( )
  manamakeri | Nov 10, 2017 |
This is a story of Johnny Appleseed with a twist. It shows Johnny chopping down old forest to plant his orchards. It made me think about what he did, and I still haven't decided how I feel about what he did.
  edwardcandler | Apr 11, 2017 |
I liked this book for several reasons. First I think this writing flowed very well through out the book and the plot was very engaging. It first starts off when Johnny Appleseed was born and how he progressed his love through planting apple trees, then explained in depth his love for telling stories to children out of the bible, and finally how he passed away. The sequence of events flowed very well through the book and it was an enjoyable easy read. Next I think the illustrations were very entertaining. They are bright vivid colors and very detailed. For example on one page it is dark out, the moon is shining, and Johnny is running through the town. It shows a dark blue sky, yellow moon, a lantern beaming yellow to show its shining for distance, and shadow of Johnny running. The big idea of this book is the simple things in life are the things that keep us happy. ( )
  Jclark36 | Feb 19, 2017 |
I first thought Johnny Appleseed was a made up character, but after reading this book I learned that he was a real, great man. His original name was John Chapman, but later became known as Johnny Appleseed because of his apple orchards. His father left the family to fight in the war, and his mother and baby brother died before Johnny turned two. He befriended Indians and looked forward to supplying them with apple trees. Johnny had never been ill his entire life until he passed seventy. He later died in a settler's cabin. Today, some people still talk about Johnny Appleseed and claim that they saw him. ( )
  cedauzat | Jan 25, 2017 |
discusses the story of johnny apple seed
1 book
  TUCC | Nov 18, 2016 |

The larger-than-life story of a true American hero -- John Chapman, better known as Johnny Appleseed. Kellogg "is ideal as interpreter of this fascinating man....[His] color has never been so rich and luxuriant....An affectionate portrayal, enthusiastically accomplished." -- Booklist.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:50 -0400)

Presents the life of John Chapman, better known as Johnny Appleseed, describing his love of nature, his kindness to animals, and his physical fortitude.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,081,022 books! | Top bar: Always visible