The Edge of Desire by Stephanie Laurens

We finally get Christian Allardyce, Marquess of Dearne story. This story is very different from all the others. Christian is already in love with someone but she is married to another man. In all his searching for a bride none has caught his attention. He is surprised when the woman that he thinks betrayed him is at the Bastion Club needing his help. What follows is a murder investigation and Christian and Letitia Vaux finding the love they both thought had long died. The members of the Bastion Club and Dalziel set to work to clear Letitia’s brother’s name and find the man that really murdered Letitia’s husband. We are led on a tangled investigation in the background of someone no one seems to really know and with each new revelation comes more questions.

Christian is the last of the official Bastion to get married. He is nursing a red hot anger about his love betraying him. It is nice to see that he is willing to find out what really happened and find the wherewithal to realize that he is as much to blame for what happen as she ever was. He is a warrior and a spy and he learned a very long time ago how to handle Letitia and her emotions. Like the others his training and years behind enemy lines has honed his instincts and his patience. That time has also taught him how to be a better lover and a better future husband. He is all alpha male and isn't afraid to let Letitia lead the way occasionally. His journey to reclaiming Letitia is a roller coaster ride from the very beginning.

Letitia married a man to save her family from ruin. She never loved the man and in many ways hates him. However she keeps her vows and stays doing her best to make the best of a bad situation. Letitia is intelligent and savvy of those around her. She knows how to handle the ton and uses that knowledge to help try to keep her brother’s reputation in one piece. She doesn't stand a chance once Christian comes back into her life. She has loved him all the time he was gone and all the time she was married to a man that she didn't love. Letitia also knows who Dalziel really is. It is so finny seeing all the members of the Club trying to get the information from Letitia and her brother.

This is one long roller coaster ride with all that is going on. We also find out who Dalziel really is at the very end of the book. Tristan, Tony and Jack are called in to help with the investigation of the murder. I guess the others are still in the country. It was wonderful to find out who Randall and his friends really were and that they were able to pull the wool over the ton’s eyes. As always there are plenty of steamy hot love scenes and they start very early in the book. There are some sad areas in the story and there are some funny places as well. Ms. Laurens continues to write wonderful stories that drag you into the story and won’t let you go until the last page. ( )
  LadyIsis | Nov 11, 2014 |
absolute rubbish.. don't usually read this type of book.. a FB friend recommended this author so I thought I would give it a go (on the promise of something sexy). This author doesn't even write good erotica! Certainly won't be reading any of her others either!! LOL. Just glad I didn't have to pay actual cash for this - got it from my Library! ( )
  Mecaza | Nov 5, 2014 |
I adore this series!! Stephanie Laurens is a master at the Alpha Rake!! I love the men pursuing their ladies!!

What a great story! I laughed and cried many times! Such wonderful writing and really engaging characters!! I love this authors work!!

I adore this whole series and can not wait to see each man get his lady. It is a bit formula with the alpha male who is often chased finding a lady he wants and being forced to pursue her. But formula works that why we love it!

Each book has an add but of intrigue that draws you in. And Stephanie Laurens knows how to deliver the steam!!

I am currently on a Regency kick and this one was terrific!! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
TBR
  Ebeth.Naylor | Sep 30, 2013 |
The Bastion Club is a series of romances revolving around aristocratic men who served in the special services during the Napoleonic wars and have returned to their "normal" lives and are settling down to love and marriage. This is the seventh installment and centers on Christian Allardyce, the 6th Marquess of Dearne and his lost love Lady Letitia Vaux Randall.
Letitia's husband George Randall is murdered and her brother Justin is the prime suspect, so She sends to her former lover for assistance in clearing his name. They haven't been together for 12 years but the sparks are still there and Christian is determined to discover not only the murderer but the reason why Lady Randall married her husband in the first place.
What surprised me about this book is that normally Ms Laurens writes a romance with a bit of intrigue, but this book has a full-blown mystery which she leads you through along with the characters, revealing the clues to you at the same time as the characters receive them. The reader searches at the same pace as Christian and Letitia not just for love and forgiveness but for resolution of the problem that keep them apart.
However, I do feel that Ms Laurens, in this book, seems to be stretching out the love scenes a bit too long. They are as steamy and sensuous as always, but drag in certain places. That doesn't mean that I'm not reading them, I am.
Can’t wait for the last of this series. ( )
3 vote cyderry | Aug 22, 2009 |

Stephanie Laurensprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Crossley, StevenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
He should make her wait.

A Beautiful Woman he must never
Possess. A Primal Hunger that must be
Fed. . .

Sheriff Riley Buchanan is a good
man…but a man possessed. Plagued by
vicious and uncontrollable impulses, he
lives in fear of surrendering to real love.
Even after years apart, he still craves one
woman, Hope Summers, above all others,
and will do anything to protect her from
harm—even tempt fate.

Hope is a woman with her own secrets. For
months she has eluded her abusive ex-
husband, a ruthless creature who won’t rest
until Hope and her kind are destroyed.
Hope’s fantasies are still haunted by Riley,
the one man who might help her, and the
man whose searing touch she cannot
forget. But surrendering to their long-
denied passion could mean the destruction
of everything they hold dear…

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061246360, Mass Market Paperback)

They proved their bravery fighting for His Majesty's Secret Service and were rewarded with brides of great beauty and breeding. But one member of the Bastion Club has remained a bachelor . . . until now.

"Christian, I need your help. There is no one else I can turn to . . . L."

When Christian Allardyce, 6th Marquess of Dearne, reads those words, his world turns upside down. Lady Letitia Randall is a woman like no other, and the day he left her behind to fight for king and country was the most difficult of his life. He never forgot the feel of her lips against his, but never expects to see her again. Yet now she seeks his help, and Christian knows he will not resist her plea.

Letitia believes that Christian abandoned her when she needed him most, and she hates to call on his aid. But to clear her brother's name, she has sworn to use every weapon at her command, even if it means seducing her ex-lover. Yet all the while, Christian is waging a war of his own—a campaign of pure pleasure and sweet revenge that will take them both beyond the edge of desire.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:47 -0400)

Christian Allardyce, sixth Marquess of Dearne, is reunited with the woman he had left behind to fight for his country when Lady Letitia Randall enlists his help in clearing her brother's name.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,380,193 books! | Top bar: Always visible