The Black Stallion by Walter Farley

The Black Stallion (1941)

by Walter Farley

Series: Black Stallion (1)

2,520372,403 (4.02)1 / 97

English (36)  Finnish (1)  All languages (37)
A classic children’s book about a boy and a horse. Alec Ramsey have a first brief scary meet with the wild black stallion on a ship - then tragedy strikes and he is shipwrecked on a desert island - and the only survivor apart from him is the horse.

I liked the first part of this book a lot - when Alec and the stallion learn to take care of each other and they become inseparable. Back on safe ground in USA the second part deals with entering a horse race. ( )
1 vote ctpress | Sep 10, 2015 |
It has been years since I read this book. But I remember it well. As fun as the movie was it really couldn't compare to how much I liked the book. ( )
  Chris_El | Mar 19, 2015 |
  mrsforrest | Dec 13, 2014 |
This book reads as if it was written by a high school kid, and it was, in part. But it won the the Young Reader's Choice Award in 1944, and I was amazed to see that The Incrdible Journey, by Sheila Burfored, won that same award in 1964, and I considre The Incredible Journey one of the best books I have ever read and I read it when I was an adult. But The Black Stallion is poorly plotted, filled with unlikely events, and the dialogue is painful to read. Furthermore there is no suspense in the book because always Alec and the horse who saved him when the ship they were on sank always triumph. I guess it just goes to show that some juvenile fiction should not be read by an adult, whereas some is worth reading. ( )
1 vote Schmerguls | Oct 1, 2014 |
This is the story of a ship wrecked boy, his survival and return home. The story is about a friendship with the horse he is shipwrecked with.
  laurlou | Jun 10, 2014 |

Farley, Walterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Henstra, FrisoIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, KeithIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Mother, Dad and Bill
The tramp steamer Drake plowed away from the coast of India and pushed its blunt prow into the Arabian Sea, homeward bound.

First published in 1941, Walter Farley's best-selling novel for young readers is the triumphant tale of a boy and a wild horse. From Alec Ramsay and the Black's first meeting on an ill-fated ship to their adventures on a desert island and their eventual rescue, this beloved story will hold the rapt attention of readers new and old.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:28 -0400)

Young Alec Ramsay is shipwrecked on a desert island with a horse destined to play an important part in his life. Following their rescue their adventure continues in America.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,854,134 books! | Top bar: Always visible