The Brightonomicon (Brentford Trilogy) by…

The Brightonomicon (Brentford Trilogy) (original 2005; edition 2011)

by Robert Rankin

Member:EmScape
Title:The Brightonomicon (Brentford Trilogy)
Authors:Robert Rankin
Info:Gollancz (2011), Kindle Edition, 420 pages
Collections:All the Ebooks, Calibre Import
Tags:Calibre import, tbr

The Brightonomicon by Robert Rankin (2005)

absurdist (3) audible (2) audiobook (4) brentford (3) brighton (2) comedy (6) comic fantasy (3) detective (2) ebook (2) England (3) fantasy (38) fiction (31) First Edition (4) goodreads (2) hardcover (2) humor (28) library (2) novel (2) Rankin (2) read (4) Robert Rankin (2) science (2) science fiction (13) sf (4) sff (4) signed (3) surreal (3) to-read (5) unread (2) zodiac (2)

This was my first Robert Rankin book so I was curious how I would like it. I hadn't heard a LOT about him but the cover looked fun and the title was ridiculous so I thought it would be fun.

It was so much fun at the beginning that I had to start over and read it with/to my woman. We both agreed it was hilarious but that this kind of comedy gets old so the book would have been better if it was shorter. There were many groan inspiring puns and repeated gags and that's okay because they were funny sometimes, but after a while they were just kind of annoying.

So while I wouldn't put Rankin's level of funny in the ranks of Pratchett or Adams this book was still enjoyable for the most part and I'd be willing to try another. ( )
  ragwaine | Jul 13, 2014 |
Mr Hugo Rune had a way about him, something that signalled him as being above the everyday and the everyman. He was an enigma, a riddle wrapped around an enigma and tied with a string of surprising circumstances, He appeared to inhabit his own separate universe, where normal laws - and I do not mean those of he legal persuasion - did not apply. Who he was and what he was, I know not to this day.
But he was certainly someone.

As well as the zodiac in the stars, there are also zodiacs in the landscape such as the Glastonbury zodiac and the Kingston zodiac, and according to Hugo Rune (the Lad Himself, the Logos of the Aeon, the Guru's Guru, the author of the Book of Ultimate Truths and the Reinventor of the Ocarina) there is also a Brighton zodiac hidden in the street plan. In 1960s Brighton, a Brentford teenager on this first 'dirty weekend' away is thrown off the end of the pier by a gang of Mods and is rescued from drowning by Hugo Rune. On regaining consciousness he finds that he has lost his memory, and the teenager, now known as Rizla, is persuaded to stay on in Brighton as Rune's amanuensis. But is Hugo Run a mystical detective trying to save the world, by solving 12 cases each linked to one of the signs of the Brighton zodiac, or merely a conman who never pays his rent, taxi fares or bar bills if he can possibly help it.

'Well,' I said, 'I am really sorry that I did not do more than flick through your book. Although I do remember reading about how hedgehogs inhabit the Aquasphere, where rain comes from, where they float about, held aloft by the natural helium inside them, but sometimes get punctured during overexuberant rutting and plunge to Earth. Which is why you see them splattered onto country roads.' And then I yawned, and fell asleep.

This is one of my least favourite Robert Rankin books, as I found Hugo Rune too unlikeable to want to read about, and the story got quite tedious in places. Maybe it would have appealed more if I had ever been to Brighton. ( )
  isabelx | Dec 7, 2013 |
Cracking example of Robert Rankin's madness (though I would read the first three books of the Brentford Trilogy first). It says here it's part of the Brentford Trilogy, but it isn't - though as always with Rankin it shares a key character (Hugo Rune) and the usual references to time sprouts and the like. Wondrous hokum. ( )
  brianclegg | Aug 20, 2010 |
Rankin takes you back to the 60's in Brightonomicon, yet it's only the decade that has changed. Still present are the running gags, the sly humour and the overtly British approach to farce and wordplay. For all the entertaining trademarks of Rankin it is the plot which fails to deliver here. The chapters are divided up in to mysteries to be solved by Rune and his new student, Rizla, and each chapter has little bearing to the vague plot that drifts through them. It feels like a scattergun approach, almost like a collection of short stories. Ultimately when the conclusion arrives it is difficult to assess whether there actually was a plot at all. That said, it's amusing to see Rankin shoehorn in as many refererences to previous books as possible, with a clear cavalier approach. Rankin fans will see some merit in this one, however newcomers might find it rather disjointed. ( )
  SonicQuack | Mar 15, 2010 |
The radio adaption of Robert Rankin's Brightonomicon is simply brilliant. In 13 episodes Hugo Rune and his trusted acolyte Rizla, who can't remember his past, try to solve mindbogglingly difficult conundrums to prevent the end of the world. But be warned, there is Spaniel involvement.
Fans of Robert Rankin's work shouldn't miss this adaption as it works perfectly as a play. ( )
  pratchettfan | Mar 20, 2008 |
This book is dedicated to the people of Brighton. Who are renowned for their sense of humour.

And also to Dave and Dee who suggested that I dedicate this book the the people of Brighton, and remind them of their sense of humour, in the hope that they would not tar and feather me.
THE BOOK IS DEDICATED TO THE PEOPLE OF BRIGHTON Who are renowned for their sense of humor.

AND ALSO TO DAVE AND DEE
Who suggested that I dedicate this book to the people of Brighton, and remind them of their sense of humor, in the hope that they would not tar and feather me.
It was the day before yesterday.
It was the day before yesterday.
And I was dead.
I confess that I found this circumstance somewhat dispiriting, for I had always been of the opinion that a long and prosperous life lay ahead of me.  To be so suddenly deprived of existence, and at such an early age, seemed grossly unfair, and I determined to take the matter up with God at the first possible opportunity and register my disapproval.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0575077735, Mass Market Paperback)

Were you aware that there are, hidden in the streets of Brighton, twelve ancient constellations, like the Hangleton Hound and the Bevendean Bat? Well, there are, and on each one hangs a tale, a tale so strange that only The Lad Himself, that inveterate spinner of tales and talker of the toot, Hugo Rune, can get to the bottom of them. And he'd better do it quickly, because if he doesn't solve the dozen mysteries before the year is out, that'll be the end of the world as we know it.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:03 -0400)

Were you aware that hidden in the streets of Brighton are twelve ancient constellations, like the Hangleton Hound and the Bavendean Bat - well, there are: and on each one hangs a tale, a tale so strange that only The Lad Himself, that inveterate spinner of tales and talker of the toot, Hugo Rune, can get to the bottom of them.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,478,303 books! | Top bar: Always visible