The Three Robbers by Tomi Ungerer

The Three Robbers (original 1962; edition 1974)

by Tomi Ungerer (Author), Tomi Ungerer (Illustrator)

204757,485 (4.17)2
Member:ElizaJane
Title:The Three Robbers
Authors:Tomi Ungerer (Author)
Other authors:Tomi Ungerer (Illustrator)
Info:Atheneum (1974), Hardcover
Collections:
Rating:*****
Tags:children, picture book, robbers, thieves, orphans, read2012

The Three Robbers by Tomi Ungerer (1962)

English (5)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (7)
À partida a premissa parece completamente desapropriada para uma história infantil, só que não é. Na verdade, tem o seu quê de divertido - é um divertido um pouco inquietante, mas paciência. É bom e isso é o que importa. ( )
  Joel.G..Gomes | Apr 17, 2014 |
Reason for Reading: I love Tomi Ungerer as an illustrator; I love this book in particular and this qualifies as my "U" author for the A-Z challenge.

The publisher's summary certainly tells the story in probably as many words as are used in the book! This is a simple tale and one with a rather ambiguous ending. Not sure if I'm entirely comfortable with it. The robbers who are indeed "fierce", with a gun, spend their lives as criminals. A little girl captures their heart and they turn good, But is using all their stolen wealth to build a grand castle ethical just because they then house it full of orphans and are now nice instead of bad? I somehow do enjoy the story, though. What makes this a favourite for me and a keeper on my shelves is its illustrations. The robbers are brilliant creepy little men in black capes and tall hats with only their eyes visible. We never see any more of them than that. The backgrounds are blue and black, keeping the story dark and probably intense for little children. When the little girl is introduced she is surrounded with yellow. A light in the darkness. The orphans are dressed like the robbers only in red capes and hats adding joy and happiness and we see them outdoors against green background. Ungerer's drawings are a delight to behold and his use of colour in this book is dramatic. A fun older book which is nice to see back in print. ( )
  ElizaJane | Nov 13, 2012 |
Three robbers who terrify the countryside are subdued by the charm of a little girl named Tiffany. ( )
  kidlit9 | Sep 27, 2010 |
Probably one of the most influential children's books I have ever read. The haunting illustration left a deep imprint on my psyche in my formative years. I cannot wait for the re-release, as it will fill a space on my bookshelf that has remained vacant for far, far too long. ( )
  Sleepytimes | Jul 7, 2008 |
In medieval Europe, three robbers who've never thought of laundering their loot suddenly see the light and found an orphange. Great illustrations, nice moral ambiguity for kids, rather abrupt ending. ( )
  yarb | Dec 2, 2007 |
For Phoebe Alexis

Three robbers terrify the countryside until they are subdued by the charm of a little orphan girl named Tiffany.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,334,109 books! | Top bar: Always visible